Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macOS Sequoia is still compatible with several Intel-based Macs, but it does drop support for 2018 and 2019 models of the MacBook Air.

sequoia.jpg

macOS Sequoia is compatible with the following Macs, according to Apple:

• MacBook Pro: 2018 and later
  • MacBook Air: 2020 and later
  • Mac mini: 2018 and later
  • iMac: 2019 and later
  • iMac Pro: 2017
  • Mac Studio: 2022 and later
  • Mac Pro: 2019 and later

The upcoming "Apple Intelligence" suite of AI features will require an Apple silicon Mac with an M1 chip or newer. The new AI features can help you write faster, categorize mail, prioritize notifications, and more. A smarter version of Siri powered by Apple Intelligence will also be limited to Macs with an M1 chip or newer.

iPhone Mirroring will be available on both Apple silicon Macs and Intel-based Macs with the T2 security chip, letting you control your iPhone from your Mac's screen:
A user's custom wallpaper and icons appear just like on their iPhone, and they can swipe between pages on their Home Screen, or launch and browse any of their favorite apps. The keyboard, trackpad, and mouse on Mac also let a user interact with their iPhone, and audio even comes through. Users can seamlessly drag and drop between iPhone and Mac, and a user's iPhone remains locked, so nobody else can access or see what the user is doing. It also works great with StandBy, which stays visible, so users can get information at a glance. Additionally, users can review and respond to iPhone notifications directly from their Mac.
As for iPadOS 18, the update drops support for the first-generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro, second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and the sixth-generation low-end iPad.

iPadOS 18 is compatible with the following iPads, according to Apple:

• iPad Pro: 2018 and later
  • iPad Air: 2019 and later
  • iPad mini: 2019 and later
  • iPad: 2019 and later

macOS Sequoia and iPadOS 18 are now available in beta for Apple Developer Program members, and the updates should be released in September.

Article Link: macOS Sequoia and iPadOS 18 Drop Support for These Macs and iPads

• Sad
Reactions: danbuter and rafark

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Pleased with myself that I traded in the intel 2018 MBA and got this 2024 MBA earlier this year.
I didn’t thought the 2018 would be dropped this fast though. It wasn’t that bad in my memory -
or do we forget it so fast after we’ve got a new Mac? Maybe 😆

Reactions: danbuter

Bill Bennett NZ

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
It would be helpful to include the product generation information as well as the dates. When I checked my iPad Pro’s About information it says “iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation)”. Sure, I can search to cross reference the date, but bringing the model information in line with the model information that’s most readily to hand makes sense.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I still have few years left to upgrade my M1 iPad Pro, iPhone 13PM and M1 Max MBP. I will most likely upgrade my MBP first.

Reactions: danbuter

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
So instead of iPad getting MacOS, the reverse happened?

You can see and use your phone (and apps) on the Mac...

Making MacOS more iPhone/iPad-like.
To be able to drag files between them seamlessly would be good.
I know you can do it now but the process isnt always reliable (iTunes works sometimes and other times... grrrr).

Reactions: brandoman

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Wait what? 2019 and newer?, does that mean my brother’s iPad mini 5 released in 2019 will still work? o_O

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Pleased with myself that I traded in the intel 2018 MBA and got this 2024 MBA earlier this year.
I didn’t thought the 2018 would be dropped this fast though. It wasn’t that bad in my memory -
or do we forget it so fast after we’ve got a new Mac? Maybe 😆
Butterfly keyboard, right?

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
In my opinion the best thing of the entire keynote was that new wallpaper. It’s gorgeous and very Apple-like.
Yeah it was nice. When Craig was doing his schtick about the naming convention and showed the trees, I said aloud “Sequoia?”. When he said it, I looked around to see if anyone noticed I got the name right.

Nobody cared. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: rafark and daabido
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.