Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuslaw12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Akron Ohio
I have a macbook pro retina late 2013 which I upgraded to macOS Sierra. Since I updated my power button no longer puts my computer to sleep. I used to be able to hold it down for a few seconds to put it asleep but it won't work. I am still able to wake it from sleep using the power button and start it from a shutdown. The only fix I have been able to find is to restart the computer but that only works once before it stops working again. Does anyone else have this problem and has anyone found a more permanent fix? I haven't found much info on this problem so it doesn't seem widespread enough to catch Apples attention.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Same problem here. Mid 2014 13" rMBP.

A restart seems to be the only temporal solution. I had to enable a "hot corner" to sleep the display.

mork4

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2014
Same problem, here. MBPr late 2013 15". I tried a smc and pram restart, but still same. After restart it working fine for a while, and late it again not working anymore

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
12.2 is here but also a problem with sleep, aww
Yeah, they're (Apple's) working on power management AGAIN! Sucks, things were so taken care of. Now with the new MacBook Pro, and 12.x they are dismantling and refitting all the power management it seems.

I am currently seeing conflicting issues with my Watch unlocking, like if it doesn't unlock the sleep works if it does work then sleep doesn't crazy stuff like that...

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Well I found out why my 2011 MacBook Pro was having sleep/wake issues!

It's because my Discrete GPU finally died! like everybody else's 2011s did! And oh boy has this been fun. The worst part is, I have to do an external boot disk hack to get the machine to work now, because I can't load into Command-R (Restore Mode) and disable SIP (EVER!) :( Sucks. Because unless Apple ever makes (or I do with an image hack) a restore partition without the AMD Drivers I can't boot into restore mode and "crsutil disable" because the video drivers make it crash. Some guy online was saying there was a work around by getting the machine to REV up the Fans really high and then shut it off and restart it in box keeping the heat going, and maybe it would boot in Integrated GPU mode. UGH...

So in any case, it wasn't macOS Sierra that gave me sleep power off wake problems, at least with my MacBook 2011.

Now my rMBP 2015/15 the sleep seems to stop working while connected to my USB HUB... so go figure...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.