Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just got off the phone with Apple Support. The temporary work-around for those still having the issue is to create a new admin account on your mac, download, save and install Sierra... then you can delete the extra admin account.

The engineer I was working with said this is the first time they've left the previous version of OS X / macOS on the App Store when a new version is released, and they are looking into possible issues with App Store permissions. He also said that they are looking at the slow downloads AND the failure to appear on the Purchases tab as related and/or the same root cause.

I created a new account on my mac and the download is almost 50% in less than 15 minutes - almost like the "good old days".

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Just got off the phone with Apple Support. The temporary work-around for those still having the issue is to create a new admin account on your mac, download, save and install Sierra... then you can delete the extra admin account.

The engineer I was working with said this is the first time they've left the previous version of OS X / macOS on the App Store when a new version is released, and they are looking into possible issues with App Store permissions. He also said that they are looking at the slow downloads AND the failure to appear on the Purchases tab as related and/or the same root cause.

I created a new account on my mac and the download is almost 50% in less than 15 minutes - almost like the "good old days".

I have from Mountain Lion to El Capitan showing up in my purchased section and can download any of them. El Capitan is like the rest now. It shows up in the purchased section but not in the store.

The problem with Sierra is that even after installing it to three machines it is not showing up in my purchased section. This means when it is removed from the store it will be unavailable unless you have archived a copy on you machine.

Reactions: Pndrgnsvc

mkimmd

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
Glad it helped!
[doublepost=1474520206][/doublepost]

Its not a red herring and Apple themselves will have you change DNS for troubleshooting slow downloads. It works rather well for most people, and the evidence here shows that. You need to go to your network settings and remove all DNS servers, then only add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Then turn off wifi and turn it back on. It will register to the new DNS servers and the download speed should increase.

you guys are awesome! it worked for me in 17 minutes. I'm just a consumer so very ignorant about these things, should I turn the DNS back to the original setting or should I be okay keeping with the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 with regular use? Thanks for all your help.

kim221

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
The download speed is pitiful.

I started the macOS Sierra download from the app store last night around 10PM and it has only managed to download roughly half by this AM. It is currently predicting over 14 more hours to complete the download.

FWIW I monitor the incoming and outgoing throughput on my AirPort Extreme. With zero other traffic last night, the incoming data was only happening in short bursts of about a second followed by 10-20 seconds with no traffic at all. This was still the case when I checked first thing this AM. Makes me wonder if Apple has the compute/network infrastructure to support these nearly simultaneous, massive roll outs of iOS, tvOS, watchOS and macOS?

Here's what it looks like this AM

View attachment 656256

---GetRealBro

p.s. Other network traffic was normal last night and still is this AM.

Whats app its that wich lists network traffic? Thanks.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
Whats app its that wich lists network traffic? Thanks.
The app is NetUse Traffic Monitor. Please see my post #58 in this thread for more details. Note:it only works with routers that support SNMP -- which means it does not work with the current crop of AirPort routers.

---GetRealBro

kim221

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
The app is NetUse Traffic Monitor. Please see my post #58 in this thread for more details. Note:it only works with routers that support SNMP -- which means it does not work with the current crop of AirPort routers.

---GetRealBro

Thanks.

dsusca

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2017
Add me to the list of the affected. The first 1.5GB screamed last night and then nearly stood still. I left it sit through the day and returned home to find a failed 4.2GB download. It's crawling again as I struggle to get it to restart.

I'm living im brasil, using a vivo fiber optic. I tray many time to update my computer but always the progress bar take 15hs to complete.

Now using this DNS take 20min to complete.

Thank you very much,

mparseghian

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2017
Glad it helped!
[doublepost=1474520206][/doublepost]

Its not a red herring and Apple themselves will have you change DNS for troubleshooting slow downloads. It works rather well for most people, and the evidence here shows that. You need to go to your network settings and remove all DNS servers, then only add 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Then turn off wifi and turn it back on. It will register to the new DNS servers and the download speed should increase.
[doublepost=1490995982][/doublepost]Changing DNS to 8888 and 8844 finally worked! I've been trying to download for weeks and this finally took my download times from 6+ hours to 25min @ 300MPS. Thx all

Rixxx666

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2017
Hey guys just thought I let you know
Doing clean install and having same stupid problem and get the download failure message after hours of dl time
See photo
But if I just restarted iMac after failure message the installation continued automatically....
Dunno why but it worked for me...
[doublepost=1493185629][/doublepost]
Hey guys just thought I let you know
Doing clean install and having same stupid problem and get the download failure message after hours of dl time
See photo
But if I just restarted iMac after failure message the installation continued automatically....
Dunno why but it worked for me...

Attachments

• IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 151

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
I wish I had that kind of luck. High Sierra is quoting 12 hours for me even though I regularly download at 10MB/s

Brad Maestas

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Oakland, CA
I was having issues as well. I'm currently configured for IPv6 and have been using the recommended DNS servers 2001:4860:4860::8888/8844 and usually get every bit and more of my 350 Mbps connection but when I tried requesting High Sierra this evening it was absolutely crawling. I deleted it and tried again and got the same result. Ultimately got about 1.78 GB in about an hour so I've given up for the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.