Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The second beta of macOS Sonoma 14.1 seeded to developers today includes a new "Coverage" section in the System Settings app that displays warranty and AppleCare+ coverage for the Mac and select Bluetooth-paired accessories.

macOS-Sonoma-Coverage-Feature.jpg

The section can be found in the System Settings app under General → Coverage, and it provides an overview of hardware service options and other information.

A similar "Coverage" section already existed in the Settings app on the iPhone and iPad under General → About → Coverage, and now it is on the Mac.

macOS Sonoma 14.1 is currently in beta testing and is expected to be released in late October alongside iOS 17.1 and other software updates.

Article Link: macOS Sonoma 14.1 Features New Warranty Coverage Section in System Settings

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

jeffhayford

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I still prefer the system preference layout used in Monterey and earlier operating systems. The list of preferences that mimics the iPhone is ugly and hard to navigate.
I couldn’t agree more. It’s a terrible UX experience on a desktop operating system.

+1 Commonly used settings were grouped so much better previously. Everything now takes extra clicks. If they really wanted to get here they should have slow-rolled it by keeping the same icon categories putting them in list view and then slowly moving things around, if they even really needed to.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I look forward to waiting 6 months for the next major release of Logic Pro and all third party OEMs to arrive before I can test out Sonoma. I'm in no hurry.

Too bad my old colleague, Keith Ohlfs [father of NeXTSTEP/Openstep UI/UX] never took Steve up on his offer to redesign OS X's UI/UX and stayed at WebTV. Having passed away prematurely, his mountain of experience would have steered OS X far more and kept Jony in Industrial design and away from the UX/UI teams.

Anything Scott Forestall knew about UI/UX he learned working around Keith Ohlfs.

• Wow

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
Anything Scott Forestall knew about UI/UX he learned working around Keith Ohlfs.

So that’s where he picked up his hideous obsession with skeumorphic design. 🤔

Fair enough, but that doesn’t explain where he picked up the habit of failing to apologise after he screws up.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I wish Apple mostly focused their point updates on bug fixes instead of endless new features.

Don't we all!
And I have been spoilt, as I started my mac experience with Snow Leopard.

That said, from what I could gather, Sonoma seems to be a fairly stable release...at least for the sub-par standards Apple's being adopting since 2011.

marcushe

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2017
Hope this information can be obtained via command line for a MDM extension attribute! Otherwise the exclusivity of warranty information is left for Apple GSX accounts that are only available for the large enterprise.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
My v7 iTouch battery with Apple Care had "expanded" pushing the face out about ⅛". It was replaced as it was non-repairable. The second unit recently did the same thing and was still under Apple Care. No replacements were available. Too bad.

So the operative question becomes, if the unit in question is no longer in production, is how much inventory does Apple have to "service" a replacement warranty claim? I would hazard a guess that the inventory of Intel products still under Apple Care are likely not backed up with much inventory for replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.