Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I’m doing my M1 MB Air leaving Mac Mini alone for a week. But first have backed each up with CCCloner and of course TM is doing its thing. Must say Sonoma came in very fast.

I think that some folks have been worn out by the pace of security updates the past couple of months.

I had Ventura on the internal SSD of my M1 mini and Ventura beta on an external SSD. Tests went fine so I'm going to give that SSD and put it on my wife's 2018 mini as her's is about out of space and I'll update that from some old version (Mojave I think) and add the SSD so that she has more space.

It's nice to have a lot of spare hardware as you can just grab another machine if you screw one up. My production stuff is backed up to the cloud along with Time Machine if I need to revert.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
It seems to me that you are one of those that uses the Microsoft OS based on MacOS since 1984, that had versions like Win 95, Win 98, Win me, Win Vista and Wondos 8... these were really good changes right?
OMG Win Me 🙄 Employer at CAD/CAM shop bought “latest and “greatest” for me to use with a new CAD system. What a joke. I ended up trading with the RECEPTIONIST for her old Win 95 box. LOL. She was happy , I was relieved. Company croaked soon after.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Time Machine just finished, downloading the update without waiting for bug reports.

3a5.jpg

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I know right, people get caught up with Apple's carrot and forget it's just a tool to get stuff done. Unless all you do is watch Youtube and internet 🤷‍♂️
A good example is one of the new features of putting widgets on the desktop. Ooh, wow.

The widgets are already in control center and that IMO is the better idea because they are out of the way and you can view them by clicking on the time/date in the menu bar. It basically boils down to changing and rearranging stuff just to say you've changed stuff.

/smh

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
A good example is one of the new features of putting widgets on the desktop. Ooh, wow.

The widgets are already in control center and that IMO is the better idea because they are out of the way and you can view them by clicking on the time/date in the menu bar. It basically boils down to changing and rearranging stuff just to say you've changed stuff.

/smh

I find it a lot faster to just swipe left to see the widgets. A few of them are exposed because I have white space but I can see them all with a swipe to the left without having to click which is a lot easier on a laptop. I found the notification window so annoying to use that I put the main widget I want on an old iPhone that's on all the time. I no longer need to run it on my desk.

But if you prefer to use the Notification bar, then fine, that's still there.

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
MacOS Sonoma has been fine so far, only issue is for some reason in settings, I can't check the actual volume percentage by hovering over the volume bar like I used to. An extremely minor nitpick I know but I used it fairly often to make sure I had 50, 75% for certain headphones to curb myself from loud listening.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Installed Sonoma the other day to give is a test run on a spare drive. I stand by my earlier comment of it not seeming like much of an update.

No I didn't play with the screen savers.

The only thing jumping out was the click on desktop. Which is weird. I have multi monitor setup, so when you do that all 3 monitor show the desktop not just where you clicked. C'mon Apple get with the program.

I don't think it's any faster, I think that could be a misconception, maybe less laggy and they have better implemented the security measures from Big Sur onwards.

Something tells me this could be the last intel version. With the limited features, it feels like they are holding back for the next release when they let everyone know it's AS only. I hope I am wrong.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Installed Sonoma the other day to give is a test run on a spare drive. I stand by my earlier comment of it not seeming like much of an update.

No I didn't play with the screen savers.

The only thing jumping out was the click on desktop. Which is weird. I have multi monitor setup, so when you do that all 3 monitor show the desktop not just where you clicked. C'mon Apple get with the program.

I don't think it's any faster, I think that could be a misconception, maybe less laggy and they have better implemented the security measures from Big Sur onwards.

Something tells me this could be the last intel version. With the limited features, it feels like they are holding back for the next release when they let everyone know it's AS only. I hope I am wrong.

They seem to be going a year at a time. Many 2017 models don't get Sonoma but the 2018 mini, even the base model gets it. I expect 2018 models won't get the update next year, 2019 the year after and 2020 the year after that; except for the Mac Pro.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
They seem to be going a year at a time. Many 2017 models don't get Sonoma but the 2018 mini, even the base model gets it. I expect 2018 models won't get the update next year, 2019 the year after and 2020 the year after that; except for the Mac Pro.
One would suspect Apple would still support the 2019 Mac Pro and 2020 27" iMac together before intel platform is not supported by a new MacOS. I also don't expect that AS based Macs will stop being supported as early as some Intel Mac have been dropped because of recent Bluetooth, WiFi standards used. In the meanwhile Ventura looks to be great if your Mac supports it. :cool:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
One would suspect Apple would still support the 2019 Mac Pro and 2020 27" iMac together before intel platform is not supported by a new MacOS. I also don't expect that AS based Macs will stop being supported as early as some Intel Mac have been dropped because of recent Bluetooth, WiFi standards used. In the meanwhile Ventura looks to be great if your Mac supports it. :cool:

The refurb store is still selling the 2019 Mac Pro and 2020 iMac 27 so maybe they get another couple of years.

I'm running 2 Macs on Monterey right now and it's fine. I plan on giving OCLP a try with the 2015 iMac and 2015 MacBook Pro. I have run OCLP on the MacBook Pro before to get a new feature working so I know it isn't too difficult. I'm also shopping for a 2020 iMac 27 but I'll let the price come to me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple dropped PowerPC support pretty quickly once Intel Macs were released.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
I don't understand why there are nine pages of grumpy posters complaining. The update is free, unlike back in the days of Snow Leopard (I remember standing in line at a store to buy upgrade discs), and macOS works amazingly well. I feel like some people have unrealistic expectations that aren't ever going to make them happier human beings.
There's some truth to your statement, and yes, at least they're free.

I'm sure a lot of the frustration is both a combination of 'stop IOS-izing MacOS' by those that don't want it (I don't), and 'not enough' by those that do, while in general, there are no real 'wow' features but it does increment the 'time until ok enough hardware can't run the current OS.'

I haven't decided if I'm going to roll the dice on this one or not. I need to at the least confirm whether or not a VMWare Fusion update (worse, upgrade/$) is required, but really - I don't think there's anything I've seen in the feature list that's super compelling to do the 'upgrade' for. YMMV.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Did they have the refurbished store back then?
No, PowerPcs were sold March 1994 until August 2006, as I recall it was sometime around 2018 when Apple was trying to decrease landfills. When PowerPCs were disappearing companies just turned them in to recyclers or sold to employees for a few dollars. It's hard to look back and find information to when Apple setup selling refurb Macs and also against their trade-in credit for new Mac purchases.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
No, PowerPcs were sold March 1994 until August 2006, as I recall it was sometime around 2018 when Apple was trying to decrease landfills. When PowerPCs were disappearing companies just turned them in to recyclers or sold to employees for a few dollars. It's hard to look back and find information to when Apple setup selling refurb Macs and also against their trade-in credit for new Mac purchases.

I still have a PowerMac G5 in the basement and I boot it up every couple of years. I do not recall when I first saw the refurbished store but I think that it was in the past decade.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
Nice thought but there is currently a bug persisting from beta that prevents Universal Clipboard from working. I am also impacted from it and while I can copy from my Mac to my iPhone, I cannot copy from my iPhone to my Mac thus breaking your suggestion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/1530gvu
Apple still has not resolved this bug as of iOS 17.0.1 and macOS 13.6.

So my point remains that there is no way to securely use iOS 17 and macOS 13 or older.
I have a similar issue, but I am unable to copy and paste in either direction. Mac OS Sonoma 14.0 and iPhone iOS 17.0.3. Both devices are signed into the same iCloud account and WiFi network. However, I can copy and paste between my iPhone (17.0.3) and iPad (17.0.3). The problem is Sonoma.

Last edited:
Reactions: btrach144
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.