Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinGx

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
Connecticut, USA

Numerous Mac users are repeatedly encountering a bug in macOS Ventura that throws up Login Items notifications for various background app processes every time they start up their machine, even when the processes in question have been disabled.

background-items-notifications.jpg

If notification previews are disabled (via System Settings -> Notifications -> Show Previews) the annoying notifications appear as "Login Items." If previews are enabled, the notifications are labelled "Background Items Added" and contain the message "[app/process name] added items that can run in the background. You can manage this in Login Items Settings."

Curiously, there is no option in System Settings -> General -> Login Items to remove background items added to macOS by installed apps. Users can only disable listed items by toggling switches. Doing this however seems to have no impact on the notifications, and in some cases can cause more to appear.

Complaints across Reddit, Twitter, Apple Support Community discussions, and various other app-specific forums repeatedly cite app processes such as Google Updater, Adobe CC Helper, and Dropbox as culprits, but these only appear to be referenced more often because they are popular apps with background processes. Almost any third-party background process can seemingly be referenced in the persistent Login Items notifications.

In all but a minority of cases, trashing or uninstalling the related apps does not fix the problem, and if the notifications do subsequently disappear, reinstalling the app usually brings them back. Some users have even erased their Mac and reinstalled macOS Ventura to defeat the bug, but are then hesitant to install the associated apps.

Only a few users have been successful at ridding their Mac of the notifications by carrying out the following actions, although caution should be applied and users do so at their own risk.
  1. Open Finder, then select Go -> Go to Folder... in the menu bar.
  2. Copy and paste the following address into the input field and press Enter: ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  3. A Finder window will open at the LaunchAgents folder. Show the items as a list organized by name, then search for the app or developer name associated with the process that's causing the Login Items notifications.
  4. Delete the .plist file, then empty the Trash.
  5. Restart your Mac.
  6. If the above steps don't work, look in the ~/Library/LaunchDaemons folder. If there are launch daemons in there associated with the app/developer, delete those too, empty Trash, and restart.
Based on reports, the bug has been around since early beta versions of macOS Ventura, but there have been more frequent incidences reported on Macs running macOS 13.1 and later. Apple is seemingly aware of the problem, but has not commented.

Have you been affected by the Login Items notifications bug? If so, have you found a solution that worked for you? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: macOS Ventura Bug Spits Out Perpetual 'Background Items Added' Notifications at Login, Here's a Potential Fix
My new mini has a very serious case of this problem: on startup not only do spurious Login Items Notitications populate the entire right edge of the screen, but when I try to delete them they immediately regenerate: there is no way to get rid of them. As others posted, turning off notification preferences has no effect. I have also deleted the .plist files in my Library/LaunchAgents/ folder (there were only 3 of them) as suggested, but that also has no effect. There is no Library/LaunchDaemons folder. Based on the comments in this thread, Apple is wrong to claim that this problem only affects a few. If I had read about this before purchasing the machine I would not have bought it. It is outrageous that Apple has not yey fixed this as of Ventura 13.2.1
This did not happen right away when I first started the new machine, but only after I had installed a bunch of assorted software.

Reactions: buddhistMonkey

kevinGx

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2023
Connecticut, USA

Numerous Mac users are repeatedly encountering a bug in macOS Ventura that throws up Login Items notifications for various background app processes every time they start up their machine, even when the processes in question have been disabled.

If notification previews are disabled (via System Settings -> Notifications -> Show Previews) the annoying notifications appear as "Login Items." If previews are enabled, the notifications are labelled "Background Items Added" and contain the message "[app/process name] added items that can run in the background. You can manage this in Login Items Settings."

Curiously, there is no option in System Settings -> General -> Login Items to remove background items added to macOS by installed apps. Users can only disable listed items by toggling switches. Doing this however seems to have no impact on the notifications, and in some cases can cause more to appear.

Complaints across Reddit, Twitter, Apple Support Community discussions, and various other app-specific forums repeatedly cite app processes such as Google Updater, Adobe CC Helper, and Dropbox as culprits, but these only appear to be referenced more often because they are popular apps with background processes. Almost any third-party background process can seemingly be referenced in the persistent Login Items notifications.

In all but a minority of cases, trashing or uninstalling the related apps does not fix the problem, and if the notifications do subsequently disappear, reinstalling the app usually brings them back. Some users have even erased their Mac and reinstalled macOS Ventura to defeat the bug, but are then hesitant to install the associated apps.

Only a few users have been successful at ridding their Mac of the notifications by carrying out the following actions, although caution should be applied and users do so at their own risk.
  2. Copy and paste the following address into the input field and press Enter: ~/Library/LaunchAgents
  3. A Finder window will open at the LaunchAgents folder. Show the items as a list organized by name, then search for the app or developer name associated with the process that's causing the Login Items notifications.
  5. Restart your Mac.
  6. If the above steps don't work, look in the ~/Library/LaunchDaemons folder. If there are launch daemons in there associated with the app/developer, delete those too, empty Trash, and restart.
Based on reports, the bug has been around since early beta versions of macOS Ventura, but there have been more frequent incidences reported on Macs running macOS 13.1 and later. Apple is seemingly aware of the problem, but has not commented.

Have you been affected by the Login Items notifications bug? If so, have you found a solution that worked for you? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: macOS Ventura Bug Spits Out Perpetual 'Background Items Added' Notifications at Login, Here's a Potential Fix
Apple has Ventura 13.3 out which is supposed to fix this. My experience: the old notifications were still there on startup, but when manually deleted they went away and did not repopulate like they had before. Hopefully they will stay away!

JV8

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2021

5. Restart your Mac.

I'm running 13.3.1 (22E261) on my M1 MacBook Pro and the same is happening.

parsonsmike

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2017
I just updated specifically in the hopes that the most recent update fixed this crap.....and the first thing I was greeted with after logon was more of the same.

This happens 5-10x per day, sometimes immediately after I've dismissed the previous notifications. It's maddening.

jbmelby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
I’m running Sonoma beta 3, and I’m having this problem constantly at startup, with a recurring message that System Events is being added to login. Items I can stop it by turning off System Events in login items, but it happens again on startup. I’ve tried the slftool resetbtm, but it doesn’t work after I reboot. Any other suggestions from anyone?

jbmelby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
I’m running Sonoma beta 3, and I’m having this problem constantly at startup, with a recurring message that System Events is being added to login. Items I can stop it by turning off System Events in login items, but it happens again on startup. I’ve tried the slftool resetbtm, but it doesn’t work after I reboot. Any other suggestions from anyone?
Sorry—mistyped. It’s sfltool, not slftool.

jameslgleason

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Not that this actually helps, but a recent automatic Ventura update stopped this on my 14” MBP. I wish I could tell you that I knew how it stopped, but it just stopped. However, it was very annoying.

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
I found that this behaviour does not occur for me when I've disabled "autologin".

When I boot into a login screen and then login to my account, the 'Background Items Added' warnings do not occur for items about which I've already been warned. New warnings do occur, but only once.

When I enable automatic login for my account, the warnings appear and accumulate after each reboot if I do not dismiss them.

This is on Sonoma 14.2.1

~f

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.