Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacPaw today announced the launch of CleanMyMac X, an updated version of the CleanMyMac software that's designed to help users get rid of unwanted files and clean up space on their Macs.

According to MacPaw, CleanMyMac X offers up a new Malware Removal option along with 14 tools for optimizing macOS. It also offers a Menu app for quick access to CleanMyMac X options, an extended Safety Database, and personalized cleanup tips.

cleanmymacx1.jpg

A Smart Scan feature offers up a quick, complete scan of the Mac with options for Cleanup, Protection, and Speed to remove unnecessary system junk and malware while also offering performance optimization tips.

Scanning with CleanMyMac X is up to three times faster than the previous CleanMyMac 3 software, while the newly implemented Malware Removal tool will check for vulnerabilities and get rid of suspicious files.

An optimization module provides tools for managing login items, launch agents, and apps that are absorbing too many system resources, and a built-in assistant will provide explanations, reminders for regular checkups, and additional optimization steps that are meant to improve performance.

cleanmymacx2.jpg

All of these tools are run when using the Smart Scan option, but there are also individual controls for cleaning up system junk, photo junk, mail attachments, trash bins, and iTunes junk.

Malware scans can also be conducted individually, as can optimization scans, and there is a built-in uninstaller and updater for application management.

MacPaw is charging $39.95 per year for a subscription to CleanMyMac X, or $89.95 for a one-time purchase, but the new software is also included in Setapp, MacPaw's Mac software subscription service priced at $9.99 per month.

Setapp offers more than 100 apps for the $9.99 per month price tag, including titles like iStat Menus, Bartender, Ulysses, Canary Mail, and more.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with MacPaw. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: MacPaw Launches CleanMyMac X With Smarter, Faster Mac Scanning and Cleaning

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
This app is a waste of money. Just use DaisyDisk to locate and clean up stuff if your computer is really full of junk. Anything else you’re clearing out will slow down your computer temporarily as cache is rebuilt...unless of course you believe this company has insider knowledge above and beyond that of Apple’s own engineers. Remember, remnants of old apps are smaller than the CMMs install file and if they aren’t, DaisyDisk will make that obvious.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm a big fan of this site and understand you need to make ends meet, but there needs to be a point where your editorial ethics take hold.

This is a crap program and you should, if anything, be discouraging people from using it. I don't care if you're an affiliate partner. If this is the stuff you'll be promoting for money, then myself and others will happily stop being contributors.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
I'm a big fan of this site and understand you need to make ends meet, but there needs to be a point where your editorial ethics take hold.

This is a crap program and you should, if anything, be discouraging people from using it. I don't care if you're an affiliate partner. If this is the stuff you'll be promoting for money, then myself and others will happily stop being contributors.

Crikey. Never thought I’d up vote you but would do so limitlessly for this post. Absolutely spot on.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007

Why is it a crap program? Asking for a friend.

Swainer

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2018

Can you briefly explain why you are saying this is crap and why you would discourage people from using it? That would be very helpful for me and others who may have OS-OCD lol

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
I always use it but reading comments shall i not is it better to just leave it

ctg7w6

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014

This is one of the better posts I’ve seen on Macrumors. Good job, sir.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
If people really want a program like this, get OnyX. Does the same and it is free...
CleanMyMac is not worth the money as MacOS is good at keeping itself tidy and can maintain itself. CMM is in essence snake oil and sluggines on MacOS can often be alleviated by a restart (do not know how many friends this have helped)

If you have problems with space, use DaisyDisk to see what is hogging you SSD/HHD space.
if you have problem with programs, startup and such, go to system preferences -> users and groups -> login items and disable it there.

Dont pay for a pretty skin for basic functions

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany

What’s so bad about it? Been using it since like 2011 almost weekly

quaresma

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
Apple apologists will tell you all cleaning apps are junk... its true in 90% of the cases, but this one is different. It has an excellent safety database so it won’t harm your Mac. I know leftover files don’t take up much disk space, but why leave them on the disk? Why not remove them? Maybe I’m too OCD, but when I uninstall an app I want all leftover files to be gone. OSX doesn’t remove these on its own.

slammer0

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
People who bought it on August 5th or later will get free year of subscription. And I bought it on August 4th...

Edit: I recommend contacting them in cases like this ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kovacs and quaresma

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

Can you briefly explain why you are saying this is crap and why you would discourage people from using it? That would be very helpful for me and others who may have OS-OCD lol

An explanation of why this app is junk would be helpful to all readers, but especially non-technical types.

To answer all of your questions. It doesn't really do anything that Onyx (free app) and well... your Mac itself can't already do. Having used this software for quite a few years on other people's Macs, I've found it to be unnecessary and sometimes more damaging when it attempts to clean out system level stuff. Really, the only thing that is of real good use on CMM is the clean up of Deleted App residue, but then again, there are free apps that do that too.

Simple, yes. Worth the money, ehh... no.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
To answer all of your questions. It doesn't really do anything that Onyx (free app) and well... your Mac itself can't already do. Having used this software for quite a few years on other people's Macs, I've found it to be unnecessary and sometimes more damaging when it attempts to clean out system level stuff. Really, the only thing that is of real good use on CMM is the clean up of Deleted App residue, but then again, there are free apps that do that too.

Simple, yes. Worth the money, ehh... no.

Appreciate it. So not crap in the sense that it's damaging to your system (provided one knows what/what not to remove), just superfluous and of not particular value given the free alternatives available.

Reactions: chabig and TMRJIJ

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
CleanMyMac gets unfairly lumped in with MacKeeper. I've used CMM occasionally for years, and it comes in handy for some tasks like thorough uninstalls, system status menu bar widget, and it now features like a one-stop update check for apps and malware checks.

Yes, there are free or lower-cost tools that can do many of these things, and there are a number of things it can do that most users shouldn't ever need because macOS looks after itself, but it's a thorough package that some may find useful. I do find their pricing on this to be high (though you now get malware scanning), but I like the fact it's included in the Setapp subscription. If you can find a few other apps within Setapp that you like, it becomes a pretty compelling subscription plan.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I always use it but reading comments shall i not is it better to just leave it

Every time I see CMM mentioned there are these arguments. I don’t know why.

MalwareBytes correctly detects this application as a PUP (potentially unwanted program). That should say enough, but I'll expand.

It's very aggressively marketed and incorrectly promotes the idea that you need to carry out constant maintenance on your Mac. This is profoundly wrong.

Full of nice little animations to satisfy the Candy Crush generation. This tricks people into thinking their Mac’s running faster as a result — yet a simple restart would do just as much, which CMM will do anyway. It’s amazing how much goes wrong on macOS with a large 30 day uptime.

You don’t really know what it’s deleting. Not only is this incredibly dangerous but there have been instances where it’s caused damage to the operating system.

It used to be promoted as “on average, clears 50GB of data from a Mac.” On average. Now that’s either one of two things: an outright lie, or a terrifyingly high number. That should not be right.

Furthermore the people who defend it always seem to go back to the argument: “Well I’ve always used it and it’s never done any damage.

As if that’s the criteria for a good application. It’s never bricked my computer so it must be fine, right?

This application promotes ignorance about both good computing habits and how macOS works. At the absolute best case scenario, there are many other free apps which do the same thing CMM does and provides more information on what they’re doing.

There are countless seas of threads about this. Avoid cleaner apps on both Mac and Windows. Practice good computing habits and use MalwareBytes. It’s as simple as that.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Apple apologists will tell you all cleaning apps are junk... its true in 90% of the cases, but this one is different. It has an excellent safety database so it won’t harm your Mac. I know leftover files don’t take up much disk space, but why leave them on the disk? Why not remove them? Maybe I’m too OCD, but when I uninstall an app I want all leftover files to be gone. OSX doesn’t remove these on its own.
You can do all the cleaning on high sierra without any 3rd party app as it is. It’s a complete waste of money.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
MacPaw is charging $39.95 per year for a subscription to CleanMyMac X, or $89.95 for a one-time purchase, but the new software is also included in Setapp, MacPaw's Mac software subscription service priced at $9.99 per month.

I understand making a living from software development is hard but normal users have to decipher this price structure and decide what is right for them. It makes me wish the App store would just take off so I didn't have to deal with 3 different choices to use an application and let's phase it, power users probably won't buy CleanMyMac. so likely it's my grandfather who now has a $40 a year subscription for the rest of his life for an application he used once.

Reactions: Bertrand01

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Every time I see CMM mentioned there are these arguments. I don’t know why.

MalwareBytes correctly detects this application as a PUP (potentially unwanted program). That should say enough, but I'll expand.

It's very aggressively marketed and incorrectly promotes the idea that you need to carry out constant maintenance on your Mac. This is profoundly wrong.

Full of nice little animations to satisfy the Candy Crush generation. This tricks people into thinking their Mac’s running faster as a result — yet a simple restart would do just as much, which CMM will do anyway. It’s amazing how much goes wrong on macOS with a large 30 day uptime.

You don’t really know what it’s deleting. Not only is this incredibly dangerous but there have been instances where it’s caused damage to the operating system.

It used to be promoted as “on average, clears 50GB of data from a Mac.” On average. Now that’s either one of two things: an outright lie, or a terrifyingly high number. That should not be right.

Furthermore the people who defend it always seem to go back to the argument: “Well I’ve always used it and it’s never done any damage.

As if that’s the criteria for a good application. It’s never bricked my computer so it must be fine, right?

This application promotes ignorance about both good computing habits and how macOS works. At the absolute best case scenario, there are many other free apps which do the same thing CMM does and provides more information on what they’re doing.

There are countless seas of threads about this. Avoid cleaner apps on both Mac and Windows. Practice good computing habits and use MalwareBytes. It’s as simple as that.
Thank you im deleting it ive always done it daily thinking its making my mac faster thank you for opening my eyes
[doublepost=1536154305][/doublepost]Help guys do we need on macos to clesn cache all the time mu ocd thinks it speeds up my mac

Release

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
I'm a fan despite the naysayers. It shows me whats its deleting and what its doing. And the average of 50GB of data is somewhat true when you take into consideration that it cleans up the caches and you can use it to trim the attachments from mail and so on. And no, a simple restart will NOT do the same thing. If you have the time to search your entire drive after you remove an app, thats cool. I don't. I'd much rather push a button and have it gone.

I don't know, I get that people don't trust these kinds of apps but I'm fairly certain that those same people have not used an app like this is years. Sure, you can use other apps like Onyx to do some of the same things, but for me, having one app that can do all that is worth it. Is it necessary? No, but I find it very useful.

I might change my mind if it completely screws something up but having used it for at least 5 years now, I've never had a bad experience with it.

Reactions: IG88

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I'm a fan despite the naysayers. It shows me whats its deleting and what its doing. And the average of 50GB of data is somewhat true when you take into consideration that it cleans up the caches and you can use it to trim the attachments from mail and so on. And no, a simple restart will NOT do the same thing. If you have the time to search your entire drive after you remove an app, thats cool. I don't. I'd much rather push a button and have it gone.

I don't know, I get that people don't trust these kinds of apps but I'm fairly certain that those same people have not used an app like this is years. Sure, you can use other apps like Onyx to do some of the same things, but for me, having one app that can do all that is worth it. Is it necessary? No, but I find it very useful.

I might change my mind if it completely screws something up but having used it for at least 5 years now, I've never had a bad experience with it.
If it suits your use, great. Just letting you know though that DaisyDisk ($9.99), Onyx (Free), and MalwareBytes (Free) is a better value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.