MacPaw Launches CleanMyMac X With Smarter, Faster Mac Scanning and Cleaning

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2018.

1. haddy macrumors regular

Nah.....I was told he left the building.
    And I use CMMX and Cocktail and Onyx.....and any other little app I can lay my hands on.

2. Bertrand01 macrumors newbie

Bertrand01

I have been using CMM for a long time... I remember when I had to pay to upgrade to CMM2... then again for CMM3. You would think since you bought the app you would have it for ever but no! Now they want you to buy the CMM X or to pay a yearly subscription for it... total rip off!! Very unhappy with that and with all what I've read here I am getting rid off it very happily and will install the free ones. Ps: I never noticed my mac was running faster after I used CMM. Thanks for opening my eyes with this forum :)

3. JDW macrumors 6502

JDW

Sorry, but I've been buying software since the 1980's and I can tell you that upgrades tend to come with a price. So let's drop the shock and dismay about that. And with regard to their "X" version, you can still but the standalone product that is NOT tied to a subscription. It costs more, but is expected. Heck, I do that with 1Password. They try to hide the fact there's a standalone version of 1Password, but you can find it and buy it. I know because I did. Again, the same applies to CMM.

4. nebojsak macrumors newbie

nebojsak

I'm so sorry, totally forgot that your mac's behavior is the universal benchmark for all existing software :(

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's understandable that you would be sorry, since there was no claim of being a benchmark, but only someone relating personal experience. There was no implication that others would have a similar experience.

6. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

I knew these products were useless, but I can see why someone would be enticed to download them: I have a 128GB Mac (I know. Mistake. I bought a 2TB HDD and thought I'd dump all media there, just keeping necessary documents on the internal).
    Now, the computer is almost empty (I only have like, 5GB of actual files in there. I mean, that's probably what I've downloaded and stored myself). But available storage is 83GB (mostly system files and yes, caches). If I didn't know better, I'd probably download it, as my initial thought was, why does the system even need to keep these many caches when it's almost empty. I've been told there's a manual way of deleting them, but they would rebuild.
    If I would have known that with only 5GB of files the computer would need 30GB of caches, then I would have bought a larger drive. My fault for not knowing that it "needs" to use so many storage for caches, but it is annoying, and I would have downloaded an app like this had I not known that they do not help, and often, they make things worse.

7. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

I’ve tried Onyx the other day for the first time. And after I ran it, there was no screen/window that tells me what was removed, deleted or fixed.
    I also tried CMM X, and gives me a detailed explanation and options what will be removed or deleted.

8. fedzz macrumors newbie

Very true and disappointing in macrumors. I was basically trusted this site so much I bought the app and destroyed my computer.

I even have to register a new account just to post this.

9. Ruggy macrumors member

I agree. Macs tend to uninstall what they know they need to and leave what they think might be useful later. Like settings or data you may have saved when using the app so that if you do ever re-install the program the data is there.
    What they leave is really insignificant.
    If it bothers you then you can use an uninstall app like App zapper.
    But really, I think it knows what it's doing and it has proved useful a couple of times.

Also, if you click on the Apple>About this mac>Storage>Manage> Reduce clutter
    Then you can do most things there.

10. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

The article should read: BEWARE of a new malware for Macs!

11. eco7777 macrumors regular

Appzapper does! ehehehehe

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not effectively. In fact, it's one of the least effective app removal tools.

13. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

The best cleaner for the computer is the user. Pay attention to what you put/download on to your computer.