Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM2q-W-D99g

hi, I have big problem with NVIDIA GeForce 8800, I see vertical lines with colors in my monitor, but the big problems is that when start the system show the apple and the little circle start to rotate... and stop! but the computer continue read the hd etc... so with my keyboard I can restart of shutdown.

so my conclusion is the system etc... goes well but the video card have a problem and dont show the system... start but dont continue and that colors big lines verticals.

help 2 questions:

1. is possible fixed? some drivers or ... I dont know (hard because I can enter to the system)

2. if I need replace what card works? links please! to buy

by the way:
a) Im running the last system snow leopard at the day... updated...
b) I running hardware test and show me NO ERRORS! so more confused to me...
c) I not new in this forum, but I need create a new account beacuse I dont know the pass of the my normal account (because obvious I have this problem and I can see my passwords)

please see this picture and video!! when try to start and stop! (stop visually because the system continue running):
dsc04358g.jpg

really thank you, this forum always help me :) thank guys any help?

Last edited:

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
That has all the signs of a hardware failure to me. Have you tried removing the card, checking to make sure the aux power cable is fully attached and then re-seating the card? Make sure the fans are clear of any debris and get some canned air if needed to clean out the heatsink/fan area.

The best option would be to find someone with a MacPro graphics card that they could let you borrow as a test. If another card works then you can rule out any logic board issue and you will know its your 8800.

Like I said above, definitely double check all your internal and external connections and start troubleshooting from there. Hope that's some help!

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Definitely a bad video card. Been there, done that, with almost exact same issue. I now run an ATI 4870. I keep my original ATI as a working spare, just in case of failure. Sorry to see another 8800 bite the dust.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA

hi, I have big problem with NVIDIA GeForce 8800, I see vertical lines with colors in my monitor, but the big problems is that when start the system show the apple and the little circle start to rotate... and stop! but the computer continue read the hd etc... so with my keyboard I can restart of shutdown.

so my conclusion is the system etc... goes well but the video card have a problem and dont show the system... start but dont continue and that colors big lines verticals.

help 2 questions:

1. is possible fixed? some drivers or ... I dont know (hard because I can enter to the system)

2. if I need replace what card works? links please! to buy

by the way:
a) Im running the last system snow leopard at the day... updated...
b) I running hardware test and show me NO ERRORS! so more confused to me...
c) I not new in this forum, but I need create a new account beacuse I dont know the pass of the my normal account (because obvious I have this problem and I can see my passwords)

please see this picture and video!! when try to start and stop! (stop visually because the system continue running):
dsc04358g.jpg

really thank you, this forum always help me :) thank guys any help?

Many posts here on replacement cards as well as a method to "bake" the 8800 back to a working version.

Your replacement comes down to apple retail 5770@ $249 vs flash your own for about $130, an Apple 5870 @ 449 or a flashed version for about $250. There other cards like the 6780 $189 after rebate, that can be run with software drivers.

Best luck in using the forum search.

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Many posts here on replacement cards as well as a method to "bake" the 8800 back to a working version.

Your replacement comes down to apple retail 5770@ $249 vs flash your own for about $130, an Apple 5870 @ 449 or a flashed version for about $250. There other cards like the 6780 $189 after rebate, that can be run with software drivers.

Best luck in using the forum search.

flashed version? I dont understand

see this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yWa4u93Rvg&feature=player_embedded

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry to read that your 8800 is having problems. A lot of users here feel your pain. Knock on wood, my flashed 8800 GT is still running fine.

flashed version? I dont understand

What is meant by that is that there are a number of PC Radeon 5770/5870 cards that are easily attainable and easy to re-flash with an EFI ROM (as opposed to the PC BIOS they ship with) so that they'll boot on a Mac and operate in OS X like an "official" card would.

Apple has official versions of these cards, but they cost significantly more. $250 for a 5770 and $450 for a 5870. Both work in 2008 Mac Pros (even the old 2006/07 machines, despite what Apple says.

Check here. This is a relatively comprehensive table of successful 5770/5870 re-flashes that gets updated pretty frequently. But I'm not sure if 5750s actually work.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
8800GT cards seem to be reaching the end of their reliable lifespan unfortunately.

I have seen numerous reports of dead or dying 8800GT cards over the last year, I now suspect that they are running out of lifespan.
If you have Applecare and that card is part of its cover you can possibly sort it out with Apple. If your Applecare has expired then a new card is the best option.
New Apple cards are expensive:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTg2OTU0NzM
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC743ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTg2OTU0NTI :eek:
or rubbish: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC002ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU2MzE :mad:
or discontinued: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mac-Nvidia-GTX285-GTX-285-Mac-Pro-Video-Card-1-Gig-/230584651265?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item35afea8e01
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATI-Radeon-HD-4870-VGA-Apple-Mac-Pro-MB999ZM-A-/350452429389?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item519897b24d :(

I use flashed PC cards, they are much cheaper and very good performance.
I even have a spare Sapphire Vapor-X 1GB HD4870 already flashed for OS X if you are interested. I upgraded to a Sapphire HD5870 last September. :)

Last edited:

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
I use flashed PC cards, they are much cheaper and very good performance.
I even have a spare Sapphire Vapor-X 1GB HD4870 already flashed for OS X if you are interested. I upgraded to a Sapphire HD5870 last September. :)

how much are you looking for for the card?

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Sorry to read that your 8800 is having problems. A lot of users here feel your pain. Knock on wood, my flashed 8800 GT is still running fine.

What is meant by that is that there are a number of PC Radeon 5770/5870 cards that are easily attainable and easy to re-flash with an EFI ROM (as opposed to the PC BIOS they ship with) so that they'll boot on a Mac and operate in OS X like an "official" card would.

Apple has official versions of these cards, but they cost significantly more. $250 for a 5770 and $450 for a 5870. Both work in 2008 Mac Pros (even the old 2006/07 machines, despite what Apple says.

Check here. This is a relatively comprehensive table of successful 5770/5870 re-flashes that gets updated pretty frequently. But I'm not sure if 5750s actually work.

thanks for the help, you have the steps to flash it? Im new :(

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
how much are you looking for for the card?

I hope to spend $150 or less if is possible!

the most stupid thing is that when I bought my Mac Pro I order the nvidia card for run games and I never ran a game, it was a waste of money!! and now more money because the damned card stop to work. I was order the normal ati 256... :mad:

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
well it seems my solution is one of this flash it...

Apple Cards Mac Pro 1,1 Mac Pro 2,1 Mac Pro 3,1 Mac Pro 4,1
Apple ATI Radeon 5770 Works (not officially supported by Apple) Works (not officially supported by Apple) Works Works
Apple ATI Radeon 5870 Works (not officially supported by Apple) Works (not officially supported by Apple) Works Works

$249.00:eek::mad:

is not possible fix the shittty 8800 gt? is dead and that is all?

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011

AllanH

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
try this ...worked for me

i had EXACTLY that look on my screen. I ordered a 5870 and flashed the rom ..went great but ofc theres the time consumtion and this n that.....

Anyhow...i tried THIS : http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/741679-cooking-broken-gpu-worked-video.html

I really honestly couldnt believe it when i put the card back in and it worked.

Rominator advised me 9 minutes at 140 Celsius (425 F..no more no less) ...it was super easy to screw the top off ...about nine star screws i think, then u be carefull when u unplug the cable connecting the fan assembly to the card, i pulled out the wires and had to reconnect them (dont do this after 6 beers, its just stupid, but that does prove even a buzzerd bastard can do it).

REALLY its so damn easy and if it works youll be so darn happy.

..in anycase as andystubbs wrote me..."hey the cards already dead right? lol"

have fun

oh another word from a wiser : " dont breathe when u pull it out and OFC let it cool down a bit"

edit : bah i noticed this was already advised further up...anyhuuu...

Last edited:

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
i had EXACTLY that look on my screen. I ordered a 5870 and flashed the rom ..went great but ofc theres the time consumtion and this n that.....

Anyhow...i tried THIS : http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/741679-cooking-broken-gpu-worked-video.html

I really honestly couldnt believe it when i put the card back in and it worked.

Rominator advised me 9 minutes at 140 Celsius (425 F..no more no less) ...it was super easy to screw the top off ...about nine star screws i think, then u be carefull when u unplug the cable connecting the fan assembly to the card, i pulled out the wires and had to reconnect them (dont do this after 6 beers, its just stupid, but that does prove even a buzzerd bastard can do it).

REALLY its so damn easy and if it works youll be so darn happy.

..in anycase as andystubbs wrote me..."hey the cards already dead right? lol"

have fun

oh another word from a wiser : " dont breathe when u pull it out and OFC let it cool down a bit"

edit : bah i noticed this was already advised further up...anyhuuu...

your 5870 is "flash it" ???? and not works with DVI, just VGA??? I need a reemplace, see this please:

this guy sell it! but! it was flashed? and say that DONT works with DVI! so???

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mac-Pro-ATI-...item1e5f686903

please tell me, where do you buy? and if you need flashed and if works with DVI, or how you do for work with your macpro 08, I need it !!!!!

spindola

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!MG!!!!!!!!!! IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!! WITH THE OVEN!!!!!! amazing! really works! :eek:

10 minutes exactly at 200c!

I dont know how much time to gone again, but really works!

any comment ?

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Year F$*k that i'd never put a card in the oven, glad it worked out for you

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
I have read about 100 posts about how people got their broken card working again with baking it in the oven, and about 1 post saying it didnt work.

It's a high success rate and I encourage anyone with this problem to try it.

When you put it in the oven, what happens is that soldering become loose and float back in the right position.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I have read about 100 posts about how people got their broken card working again with baking it in the oven, and about 1 post saying it didnt work.

It's a high success rate and I encourage anyone with this problem to try it.

When you put it in the oven, what happens is that soldering become loose and float back in the right position.

thanks yeah and works :cool: I hope no more problems

crm114

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Midwest
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow - in the oven? Im gonna try just I got the 8800gt sitting here - had exactly the same prroblem happened on wednesday. I ordered the ati 5780 from apple (I should have checked here first and bought it from somewhere else) - regardless I installed it today and it's running great - had to put in windows drivers in bootcamp. So yeah - ignore what apple says - the ati hd5780 works perfectly in early 2008 MacPros. I did nothing special or flashed anything - just plugged it in and it worked.

I figured my 8800gt failed cause I opened my box to clean it out (noticed tons of dust inthe case after only a year or so since last cleaning) and I figured some dust first got in the card. Im amazed - and pissed - that all these nvidia cards are failing. Apple should be doing a much better job of burning in and testing this kind of equipment! Wtf apple? You can blame nvidia (and I do) but I expect more from apple.

Also tech support (out of my three year warranty - no problems that entire time btw) was pretty bad at apple over the phone. Ibdidnt have to pay - so that wAs nice- but I already knee the video as an issue - they didn't help figure that out and when I asked for the replacement card name or number so I could order it the tech guy tells he can't give me that info and I hVe to go to apple store to get fixed! What a bunch if BS! Yeah you can go on line to get that info but that's why I was calling apple. Anyway I should be happy I've had NO problems over that time period.

Time to put on my anti-static chefs hat. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.