Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliovg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Hello again.
I'm havin some problems with Mojave:
i can't use BootCamp
i can't use VmwareFusion (v.11)

So is it possible to upgrade processor ?
now i have (see image)

how much can i upgrade to work perfect my macpro 5.1 (2009) ?

I have mojave intalled and a new vídeo card and also more Ram
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-upgrade-mac-pro-2009.2145578/#post-26672663

CAn anybody sugest me what kind or processor i could buy and how install it

Regards

Attachments

• E010A7CB-3D4D-4484-A3C7-4F493E010858.png
    E010A7CB-3D4D-4484-A3C7-4F493E010858.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 701

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hello again.
i can't use BootCamp

now i have (see image)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-upgrade-mac-pro-2009.2145578/#post-26672663

Regards

The most important info is the firmware (BootROM) version which is not in you screen capture.

If you sure your 2009 with the 5,1 firmware now. Then dual X5690 is the best you can go.

And that's completely irrelevant to if you can run Bootcamp or VM Fusion, those are just software compatible issues.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hello again.
i can't use BootCamp

now i have (see image)

Regards

Not really sure why you’re having problems. By BootCamp, are you referring to BCA (BootCamp Assistant), Windows BootCamp Control Panel, orthe Windows install itself? BCA won’t work, but you don’t really need it.

VMWare Fusion v.11 works very well for me w/Mojave.

X5690 are the top processors that will work, as @h9826790 has stated.

juliovg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
The most important info is the firmware (BootROM) version which is not in you screen capture.

If you sure your 2009 with the 5,1 firmware now. Then dual X5690 is the best you can go.

And that's completely irrelevant to if you can run Bootcamp or VM Fusion, those are just software compatible issues.

hello
look this screen, this is my actual model
so I want to upgrade the cpu, and I want to know how much I could increase this machine?
I would like to buy a new processor:
1- how much my machine could be upgrade?
2- which is the best/high cpu model that I could by for this Mac Pro 5.1 ? (this is upgraded, my original model has 4.1 firmware)

Regards

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
hello
look this screen, this is my actual model
so I want to upgrade the cpu, and I want to know how much I could increase this machine?
I would like to buy a new processor:
1- how much my machine could be upgrade?
2- which is the best/high cpu model that I could by for this Mac Pro 5.1 ? (this is upgraded, my original model has 4.1 firmware)

Regards
You can add RAM up to 160GB and use 2x X5690 - you will need to delid or buy it already de-lidded, since it’s a 2009 dual tray and uses de-lidded Xeons.

Reactions: h9826790

juliovg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
You can add RAM up to 160GB and use 2x X5690 - you will need to delid or buy it already de-lidded, since it’s a 2009 dual tray and uses de-lidded Xeons.

What de-lidded means?
So sorry for my ignorance
Do you have a link (Amazon or whatever) to see that cpu on details?

Thanks

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
What de-lidded means?

The dual-processor 2009 Mac Pro uses CPUs without the standard integrated heat spreader (lid). So when you buy normal CPUs with the lid, they are taller and the fitment won't be right. So you either have to delid the processors such they will be the right height, or you need to adjust everything else for the incorrect height.

I normally encourage upgrades and have spent a great deal of time helping people here to do that. However, many 2009 dual CPU upgrade attempts have failed because it is an extra level of difficulty. I am nervous when I see that you are a newbie. If you are very comfortable and experienced with working on the innards of a computer, then it is worth a shot. If not, then I would think twice.

The list of CPUs you can use is in a sticky at the top of the forum list, and linked in my signature below. There is also more information about dual CPU 2009 upgrades. I suggest you read all of the notes in the 4,1 section.

If you choose a Westmere CPU for the upgrade, which is very likely, you absolutely must do the firmware upgrade first. There is a link in the CPU upgrade list.

Reactions: macagain

skizzo

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2018
The dual-processor 2009 Mac Pro uses CPUs without the standard integrated heat spreader (lid). So when you buy normal CPUs with the lid, they are taller and the fitment won't be right. So you either have to delid the processors such they will be the right height, or you need to adjust everything else for the incorrect height.

I normally encourage upgrades and have spent a great deal of time helping people here to do that. However, many 2009 dual CPU upgrade attempts have failed because it is an extra level of difficulty. I am nervous when I see that you are a newbie. If you are very comfortable and experienced with working on the innards of a computer, then it is worth a shot. If not, then I would think twice.

The list of CPUs you can use is in a sticky at the top of the forum list, and linked in my signature below. There is also more information about dual CPU 2009 upgrades. I suggest you read all of the notes in the 4,1 section.

If you choose a Westmere CPU for the upgrade, which is very likely, you absolutely must do the firmware upgrade first. There is a link in the CPU upgrade list.

Looks like they are already on 5,1 firmware from a screenshot they provided. So they are OK to use Westmere CPUs.

Reactions: ActionableMango

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Thanks to all you guys here I have now done all the firmware and hardware upgrades to my old single cpu 4,1 cMP except for the cpu upgrade. I would like to do it but who is a reliable vendor for a cpu? I look on Amazon and eBay and some of these vendors look very untrustworthy. Can you guys recommend a reliable source?

colin warburton

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
Yorba linda, Ca
I too recently got myself 4.1 mac pro 2009 flashed it to 5.1 firmware. After selling the trash can. Mac pro 6.1. Got rid of it because it wss non upgradeable lack of expansion, plus the servicablity is expensive, which is y i got rid of it, but its great to have the tower back again. So my main quetion, mine has the 2.66 ghz quad core xeon. Can i upgrade it to the single x5690 without delidding?
[doublepost=1541863063][/doublepost]Or what about the w3690 guftown 3.46ghz xeon processor

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
I too recently got myself 4.1 mac pro 2009 flashed it to 5.1 firmware. After selling the trash can. Mac pro 6.1. Got rid of it because it wss non upgradeable lack of expansion, plus the servicablity is expensive, which is y i got rid of it, but its great to have the tower back again. So my main quetion, mine has the 2.66 ghz quad core xeon. Can i upgrade it to the single x5690 without delidding?
[doublepost=1541863063][/doublepost]Or what about the w3690 guftown 3.46ghz xeon processor
Delidding is unnecessary on the single socket 2009 model. The only model that requires delidding is the dual socket 2009 model.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Not to ramble on, but every question in this thread has been answered MANY MANY times in earlier threads over the years. The Search Function really works!

Lou

Reactions: orph and h9826790

juliovg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Hello guys

a log time ago ... at get two processors to upgrade my mac pro
(see image 1 - details cpu buyed)

the problem is that at the beginning i cant ente to se the system running, i had to reinstall everything to see if the cpu was working ...
at the end i just install maverick system, i can't install capitan osx or high sierra osx ... i don't know why
(see image 2 - before and after cpu) - Here if you see the image ... there are som "???" on ram place, can somebody tell me why too ?

When i try to use DVD (snow leopard) or a USB (high sierra or other) to reinstall everything (after install Maverick) , my machine stay frozen ....

what is the problem?, please can somebody tell me whats is wrong ?

Regards

Attachments

• detals_cpu.png
    detals_cpu.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 352
Last edited:

axrst

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2019
Greece
As I can see, the one of your 2 new processors is not working. Also the RAM from this part is missing. Check your installation, or if it's damaged.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello guys

a log time ago ... at get two processors to upgrade my mac pro
(see image 1 - details cpu buyed)

the problem is that at the beginning i cant ente to se the system running, i had to reinstall everything to see if the cpu was working ...
at the end i just install maverick system, i can't install capitan osx or high sierra osx ... i don't know why
(see image 2 - before and after cpu) - Here if you see the image ... there are som "???" on ram place, can somebody tell me why too ?

When i try to use DVD (snow leopard) or a USB (high sierra or other) to reinstall everything (after install Maverick) , my machine stay frozen ....

what is the problem?, please can somebody tell me whats is wrong ?

Regards
Test both CPUs, one each time, on socket A. Leave socket B empty and with heatsink removed.

Install your DIMMs on 1,2,3,4 memory sockets, nothing on 5,6,7,8.

If one of the Xeons don't boot macOS with socket A, you found the guilty one.

If both Xeons boots macOS, you should inspect the CPU tray sockets for bent/damaged pins.

Reactions: koreda

Slash-2CPU

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
Possibilities:

1. Bad CPU.
2. Damaged CPU socket pins.
3. CPU not perfectly installed in the socket.

With delidded CPU, you must tighten the heatsink screws completely. With loose heatsink screws, not all pins in socket are touching CPU contact points.

juliovg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Hello @tsialex , sorry but i don't know: from the image which is the socket A and socket B.
About test the CPU's i have to take out the heatsink from socket B to test ?

Thanks, best regards

Attachments

• socket A and B.jpg
    socket A and B.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 685

juliovg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
This is an image from socket B
Is really difficult see pins here, if some of the are damage....

I will continue with the test now @tsialex
I’ll say something in a minuto

Attachments

• 2E5E8ADA-0459-40D2-8061-A6DD7A0A794F.jpeg
    2E5E8ADA-0459-40D2-8061-A6DD7A0A794F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 303

juliovg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Incredible

Well about the test on socket A
I renové all from socket B (also RAM see image), and my two cpu’s on socket A ... the point is that i can’t see anything on the screen, like the monitor doesn’y receive signal.... .... i have to try with both cpu’s at the same time?

Attachments

• B636ACF3-7AD7-4D52-BE0F-C83EC8BFA18E.jpeg
    B636ACF3-7AD7-4D52-BE0F-C83EC8BFA18E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 339

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Incredible

Well about the test on socket A
I renové all from socket B (also RAM see image), and my two cpu’s .... the point is that i can’t see anything on the screen, like the monitor doesn’y receive signal.... .... i have to try with both cpu’s at the dame time?
One Xeon installed in socket A. Install one, check if it's working, then test the other.
[doublepost=1558117577][/doublepost]
One Xeon installed in socket A. Install one, check if it's working, then test the other.
No Xeon worked when installed in socket A? Did you tested one of your original Xeons?

Maybe your problem is something in the socket itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.