MacPro-On desk or Floor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pagansoul, Jun 10, 2008.

1. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I have been noticing more MacPros kept on top of desk rather than on the floor. Why is this. I think it's too big to go on a desk, even a big one. Is there something I don't know about. I guess the 'dust bunnies' may be a bit larger on the floor but it's also cooler. Getting to the back is just as much as a pain in both places.

2. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Because they are pretty and they want people to look at them.

3. pagansoul thread starter macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Yes, I like the way mine looks also but I like desk space more.

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I think it's just peoples preference.

I'm the same as you, (i've not got my Mac Pro yet) but when I do get it, I will be putting it on the floor because I'd prefer the nice tidy desk space :)

Don't think it'll necessarily perform any better on a desk.

5. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Awesome, I like mine on my desk because its easily accessible rather then being on the floor.

6. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

More dust will be found on floors. Especially if you have carpets. Not so good for the pro, to be breathing that in.
    plus on your desk, you have quicker access to the optical drives.

Of corse it is such a beautiful pice of equipment. That I would want to see her in plain site, all the time.:D

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I always thought laminate floors wood cause more dust?

8. echoout macrumors 6502a

Mine is on my laminate floor. I like laminate because when there is dust or dog-hair, it's easy to see and clean up.

9. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Then on the floor and in the center of the room!

10. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Yeah. Plus carpets get disgustingly filthy if they are only vacuumed.

11. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

hmm...I'm moving house (to a new student house) at the end of this month and I'm trying to decide how to set up my room (so I can buy the appropriate desk(s)).

My floor will be carpetted but I'd visualised the nice shiny new Mac Pro being on the floor.

Would it be better on the desk??

12. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Either way, the machine will suck in dust, unless you live/work in a cleanroom.

Placing the machine on the floor does mean you have to be a little more proactive in blowing the dust out, but it's not that much bigger of a concern, even with carpets.

I've had both a G5 Dual 2.0GHz and a Mac Pro 2.66GHz sitting on the medium pile carpet of my office for a number of years without any issues, so long as I spend 30 seconds blowing the dust out of them every 3-4 months.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I just prefer to keep this $3000 machine off the floor. It looks nice and I bought it to rip DVDs. I don't want to reach down every time I want to put a DVD in it.

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I guess you would all laugh at where I have my iMac....

It is in the living room sitting on the coffee table. I can sit there and surf and watch TV or lay on the couch and watch movies. :)

16. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

hahaha now that's a thought....wonder how my house mates would think of that :p

17. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I have my PMG5 on the desk for ease of use of the optical drives.

18. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

G5 and MP on the floor -- just a little too big, so purely a space issue, -- but it does get more dusty inside. For some reason, G4 is still at the table; maybe I'm just nostalgic about my first Mac, maybe it's just too damn beautiful to put it on the floor.

sash

19. jjsmacpro macrumors newbie

I placed my Mac Pro on a metal platform, with wheels, which was originally designed to hold a small file cabinet. It raises the Mac Pro about 4" above the floor and it allows me to spin it around so I can easily access all the available ports.
    Another advantage to this set-up is that the platform is just wide enough to allow me to place my external HD on it as well.

20. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

On the desk. Easier to use, plus you can show it off better.

21. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Also, consider that if you have a rug, it may attract more dust if the Mac Pro is kept on the floor.

I learned that the hard way,

22. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

Very true.

23. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I may not have a Mac Pro (yet), but I do always keep my desktop on the desk itself and not on the floor. On the floor you have the tendency to kick it or trip over it, depending on the placement, as well as the dust issue. Plus, how do you plan on using optical drives/usb ports? It's really inconvenient to have to bend down every time you want to use them. lol

So in summation of my rambling - on the desk is better. :cool:

24. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Mine is on the floor just to the right of my desk. All of the ugly cables push out the back. When I have conferences in my office I think it looks bad...just having all my dongles out there like that!

I think I'm going to get a very short table that the MacPro can sit on and I can tuck a lot of the cables underneath it. I think this will also improve airflow out the back of the machine too.

25. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Although, I will say, it's generally a good idea to keep your computer pretty far away from the display if it's a full tower; e.g as big as the Mac pro, cause having a huge hulking mass right beside you will really screw you up.