Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
promise pegasus+ http://tinyurl.com/cg33cvd =Its alive! iittsss aliiiiiive!:D

Going through the airport with a macpro is kind of a hassle dont you agree?

Um what?

First, that's not an external virtual machine, that's an external drive.

Second, if you have a Mac Pro, why don't you just add that drive as an internal which is way faster than Thunderbolt?

:-\

Not to mention, SSD makes this more irrelevant.

thunderfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Each time this thread gets updated with a new post it just gets better.

@ScottishCaptain - you're bringing too much logic to a fight that is based on none.

Fight? Pessimism-the tendency to expect the worst and see the worst in all things.

Attachments

• moar-faces-14.jpg
    moar-faces-14.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 57

thunderfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Um what?

First, that's not an external virtual machines, that's an external drive.

Second, if you have a Mac Pro, why don't you just add that drive as an internal which is way faster than Thunderbolt?

:-\

Not to mention, SSD makes this more irrelevant.

You can change cpu speed to the external virtual machine on the software settings. http://tinyurl.com/79vcybj skip to :08min

When i travel, i would like to take my virtual machine(s) to other studios.:D

----------

They just want to have fun.:)

Optimism?An inclination to put the most favorable construction upon actions and events or to anticipate the best possible outcome:D

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Each time this thread gets updated with a new post it just gets better.

@ScottishCaptain - you're bringing too much logic to a fight that is based on none.

Apparently?

His replies are more nonsensical then the initial post.

I really hope he's trolling. Part of me hopes that an individual couldn't be that blitheringly stupid.

At the same time, his responses remind me of that stuff you see from those bots who fill emails and web pages with stuff that is totally meaningless- literally just words strung together to bypass a spam filter.

-SC

thunderfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Apparently?

His replies are more nonsensical then the initial post.

I really hope he's trolling. Part of me hopes that an individual couldn't be that blitheringly stupid.

At the same time, his responses remind me of that stuff you see from those bots who fill emails and web pages with stuff that is totally meaningless- literally just words strung together to bypass a spam filter.

-SC

:apple:Meaningless:apple:. Who are you to judge? Lol
PEACE;)
Don't worry about me< My life is interesting.
I leave it for you to decide what is trolling and what is sensical:D

http://tinyurl.com/crnqyje

Last edited:

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Thats awsome I love maya. As for the software i use? Lets just say it's 1.5tb of music software and it will get larger in time. The problem is that i multitask a lot and have many many many plugins and daws that are open to get the right sound that i need. I use different daws because the music industry does not only use protools.And thunderbolt is a must because of external virtual machines on the go and future midi controllers.Cheers. But what tower do you have and specs?

Ok ok, what?

1.5Tb of music software? What the hell is it that you use? I make music, and I don't have anything near that.

Why do you have so many DAWs and plugins open? Sounds like you need to change your workflow, rather than build this stupidly overpriced machine.

You're right, the music industry doesn't only use Pro Tools (I for one don't like it), but do you need to run all of them at once? Not sure you do.

If you knew anything about MIDI, you'd know that that's the name of the interface itself; anything that could perceivably replace MIDI based around Thunderbolt would have a specific name; MIDI uses 5-pin DIN leads, OSC uses Ethernet leads, etc. in addition to this, explain to me how you're saturating MIDI to the point that OSC can't suit your needs? There will never be a need for a 10Gb/s link for this kind of work, as the latency between equipment on OSC almost non-existent already?

You do seem passionate, but you also seem to be a little naïve about what options there are, suitable workflows etc. You might want all this stuff, but you have absolutely no need for it.

Jst0rm

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
Ok ok, what?

1.5Tb of music software? What the hell is it that you use? I make music, and I don't have anything near that.

Why do you have so many DAWs and plugins open? Sounds like you need to change your workflow, rather than build this stupidly overpriced machine.

You're right, the music industry doesn't only use Pro Tools (I for one don't like it), but do you need to run all of them at once? Not sure you do.

If you knew anything about MIDI, you'd know that that's the name of the interface itself; anything that could perceivably replace MIDI based around Thunderbolt would have a specific name; MIDI uses 5-pin DIN leads, OSC uses Ethernet leads, etc. in addition to this, explain to me how you're saturating MIDI to the point that OSC can't suit your needs? There will never be a need for a 10Gb/s link for this kind of work, as the latency between equipment on OSC almost non-existent already?

You do seem passionate, but you also seem to be a little naïve about what options there are, suitable workflows etc. You might want all this stuff, but you have absolutely no need for it.

he is probably including samples in his 1.5tb number

chilly7

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Ok ok, what?

If he is going to record at high defenition audio,(32bit96khz) but not on that **** mp3 and **** coppressed audіo formats he needs alot of power

Modern high quality music software awry year needs more and more power, many already high quality existing plugings which have high end code in software which do phisical modelling technology requairs a decent CPU power, or some samples librires which need a very fast drive or both.
So if is going to use that high end plugins for recording it most likely he needs a very poweful machine with atlist 12 cores Xeon CPU and alot of memory and very fast SSD.

p.s.believe me i am my self musician and i know many plugings which can bring ur CPU to the knees even with 1 note of polyphony.
for exapmle just try to run DCam Synth Squade at 32 X oversampling or just try Bazillie or Ace at Accurate settings and thouse stupid tolks "why he need that powerful computer" will be silenced forever

Last edited by a moderator:

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but some of the top recording and mastering engineers in the world still run G4s. They just have lot's of high end external hardware for the heavy lifting. Just an observation.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
If he is going to record at high defenition audio,(32bit96khz) but not on that shіt mp3 and shіt coppressed audіo formats he needs alot of power

Modern high quality music software awry year needs more and more power, many already high quality existing plugings which have high end code in software which do phisical modelling technology requairs a decent CPU power, or some samples librires which need a very fast drive or both.
So if is going to use that high end plugins for recording it most likely he needs a very poweful machine with atlist 12 cores Xeon CPU and alot of memory and very fast SSD.

p.s.believe me i am my self musician and i know many plugings which can bring ur CPU to the knees even with 1 note of polyphony.
for exapmle just try to run DCam Synth Squade at 32 X oversampling or just try Bazillie or Ace at Accurate settings and thouse stupid tolks "why he need that powerful computer" will be silenced forever

Firstly, if you'd like to refer to myself and others as stupid, I'd make sure your spelling was a little better beforehand.

I can record at 24bit 192kHz, you don't need an especially powerful machine to do that.

Newer music software doesn't require more and more power, it can utilise more, but that's different.

Most Plugins and VSTs can only run on one core, so there's still no benefit here.

Sample library access is more of a legitimate point, but you don't require the same throughput that a video editor would require, so just a dedicated HDD or SSD should be fine, but the SSD doesn't need to be spectacular to achieve very good results.

chilly7

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Firstly, if you'd like to refer to myself and others as stupid, I'd make sure your spelling was a little better beforehand.

I can record at 24bit 192kHz, you don't need an especially powerful machine to do that.

Newer music software doesn't require more and more power, it can utilise more, but that's different.

Most Plugins and VSTs can only run on one core, so there's still no benefit here.

Sample library access is more of a legitimate point, but you don't require the same throughput that a video editor would require, so just a dedicated HDD or SSD should be fine, but the SSD doesn't need to be spectacular to achieve very good results.

u probably don't know what u are tolking about.
u sound like one of the guy who was trying really hard to convince me that i can do a full music production on a $ 600 desctop and i don't need more....
and even though that i have a fwe years of music production expirience i was not able to convice that guy that he is totaly wrong

p.s. man it seens u never used high end music plugins because i do and i know what i am tolking about and they use alot of CPU power , some of them even stand alone requairs alot of CPU power,because they use high end algorithms which requairs alot of CPU calculation in real time

Last edited:

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
p.s. man it seens u never used high end music plugins because i do and i know what i am tolking about and they use alot of CPU power , some of them stand alone requairs alot of CPU power,because they use high end algorithms which requairs alot of CPU calculation in real time

You sure it doesn't do its CPU calculation in fake time?

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
u sound like one of the guy who was trying really hard to convince me that i can do a full music production on a $ 600 desctop and i don't need more....
and even though that i have a fwe years of music production expirience i was not able to convice that guy that he is totaly wrong

p.s. man it seens u never used high end music plugins because i do and i know what i am tolking about and they use alot of CPU power , some of them even stand alone requairs alot of CPU power,because they use high end algorithms which requairs alot of CPU calculation in real time

Experienced in music production, but absolutely no experience with spelling or grammar.....

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL

That guy was wrong. You can do it for $500.

Water Studios still has a G3 in their B Room.

TheDoc

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008

Quoted for proof that Natural Selection stopped a long time ago.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Quoted for proof that Natural Selection stopped a long time ago.

I don't think spelling and grammar skills have ever had a significant affect on fitness.

IMO, natural selection with humans ended the day we figured out how to make beer.

chilly7

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
English is not my first language....
but i don't have to be a native English speaker to know alot about recording and sound designe....

p.s. u guys are really offensive and rude.
u put ur wildgueses as a true.
It seems that u never did a proffesional high quality recodings because what u are saying is a total nonsence.

please at list note that u wild guess ,but not actualy speaking from ur knowladge and expiriense, because i know that it is crupp what u're saying but people who just come here to the forum and need some advice, might be totaly misinformed by ur sayings....

p.s. for a proffesional music recording u will need as powerful computer as for thouse who do high end 3d modeling or scientists. that is why Mac Pro exist or similar workstations from other manufactor. Mac Pros are not for u guys for cheaking ur e-mail or for ur shіt 64k mp3 recording which will end up in the trush bin

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
blahblah

post your workload, any system recommendations without a required workload are meaningless.

for all we know, you could get your job done a lot faster with a grid of 15 mac minis at $600 each.

thunderfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
$1

Soulja Boy+$500 computer=Success
Titanic+$10,000 computer=Hmmmmm

I think we are all right about that!

As for grammar? I don't know about all of you but I don't mind knowing 2 different languages and english at the same time. I love learning and I like constructive criticism,but if there is narcissism in this forum I guess I can give a taste of how it works.:D

Attachments

• macpro 2012.jpg
    macpro 2012.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Soulja Boy+$500 computer=Success
Titanic+$10,000 computer=Hmmmmm

I think we are all right about that!

Is success a guy like Marque Walker traveling with an aging Windows laptop and a digidesign 003 and using those tools to get multiple Grammy nominations?

Music from the Titanic? Are you kidding me? That is mostly live instruments in proper rooms with killer front-ends and quality AD/DA. The cheapest thing in the mix, and of least importance, is the computer.

If you are talking about scoring and doing EVERYTHING in the box, the only guys who need vast processing power are guys doing the thankless job of scoring for television, where the deadlines are so tight they have to turn around product without any leeway. A lot of those guys use multiple systems linked and VE Pro to get that work done, but that has nothing to do with your original point.

I still have a Dell Latitude X1 in a rehearsal space that is running Reason 3 and triggering samples with a Hammond XPK100. The Dell has a 1.1gHz Core Solo Intel, 1.25gB RAM, a 4800rpm 1.8" hard drive, and it is running Windows XP. Never even a hiccup. It used to be my stage system and was never a problem, and has since been replaced by my MacBook Pro.

If you want to buy a really powerful system, have at it and enjoy. Try not to tell everyone who actually has experience in the subject that you NEED these things to do a job.

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
English is not my first language....
but i don't have to be a native English speaker to know alot about recording and sound designe....

Modest, aren't you?

p.s. u guys are really offensive and rude.

"you", not "you".

u put ur wildgueses as a true.

"you", not "u".
"your", not "ur".

I am not sure what "wildgueses" is - perhaps a bird or an animal.
Neither am I sure what a "true" is.

It seems that u never did a proffesional high quality recodings because what u are saying is a total nonsence.

So, you complain about people being "offensive and rude", and then proceed to be rude as well? One rule for you, another rule for the rest of us.

please at list note that u wild guess ,but not actualy speaking from ur knowladge and expiriense, because i know that it is crupp what u're saying but people who just come here to the forum and need some advice, might be totaly misinformed by ur sayings....

They may be wrong, but at least they're coherent. You could well be an expert, but it's difficult to tell. If I was on a forum that used a different language, I'd make sure my use of that language was up to scratch.

p.s. for a proffesional music recording u will need as powerful computer as for thouse who do high end 3d modeling or scientists.

No, really? I thought I could write a symphony on a Commodore Pet. You're telling me I need a powerful computer? Just like a scientist?

that is why Mac Pro exist or similar workstations from other manufactor. Mac Pros are not for u guys for cheaking ur e-mail or for ur shіt 64k mp3 recording which will end up in the trush bin

A Mac Pro is for whatever you want it to be. If I want to spend $20000 on a Mac Pro and use it for playing games on Facebook and checking my email (note: I don't), then it's entirely my prerogative, not yours. You shouldn't presume to dictate to anyone how they use their money or how they use their computer. Not only is it arrogant, it's rude and patronizing.

And then there's that rudeness thing again. You whine about people being rude, and then slate their "*****" MP3s.

The only person around here who needs to reevaluate what they write is you.

chilly7

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Modest, aren't you?

"you", not "you".

"you", not "u".
"your", not "ur".

I am not sure what "wildgueses" is - perhaps a bird or an animal.
Neither am I sure what a "true" is.

So, you complain about people being "offensive and rude", and then proceed to be rude as well? One rule for you, another rule for the rest of us.

They may be wrong, but at least they're coherent. You could well be an expert, but it's difficult to tell. If I was on a forum that used a different language, I'd make sure my use of that language was up to scratch.

No, really? I thought I could write a symphony on a Commodore Pet. You're telling me I need a powerful computer? Just like a scientist?

A Mac Pro is for whatever you want it to be. If I want to spend $20000 on a Mac Pro and use it for playing games on Facebook and checking my email (note: I don't), then it's entirely my prerogative, not yours. You shouldn't presume to dictate to anyone how they use their money or how they use their computer. Not only is it arrogant, it's rude and patronizing.

And then there's that rudeness thing again. You whine about people being rude, and then slate their "*****" MP3s.

The only person around here who needs to reevaluate what they write is you.

ok. i don't want to answer ur rude comments, but one thing i do agree with u and i was not clear anough.
Yes u can use Mac Pro for what ever u want.
What i was saying that Mac Pro was not disigned by Apple for people who just cheak their e-mail or or watching or listeting to over copressed sources.....
It was made for proffesionals who need a poverful yet, prortable computer(i mean u can have it at home not a wall size computer) for high end musicians,scientist, 3d moddelers and so on, but afcause nobody will stop u from playing it cheess on it.... but what does me angre when thouse people who just only cheak their e-mail all the day and listen to that noise (64k mp3s) begin to comment that Mac Pro is overpriced,unnessesary powerful and then begin to tell u that u don't need it without having any knowladge of ur work feald....

p.s. i hope it cleared out the conflict,i did not want to offend anybody

have a nice day! :)

thunderfunny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
If he is going to record at high defenition audio,(32bit96khz) but not on that shіt mp3 and shіt coppressed audіo formats he needs alot of power

Since you revealed one of my favorite synths here is something else that is very dear to me.:D http://tinyurl.com/853sh4p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.