MacPro...what will WWDC bring?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rickeames, Apr 30, 2009.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

Have there been any good rumors around what might happen to the MacPro lineup in a month at WWDC? I am in the market for one, but I am often loathe to purchase this close to a keynote because it's usually when something minor like speedbumps or blu-ray drives or some other coolness could emerge.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

3. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I doubt we see much, I could be wrong though. I'm hoping for a redesigned 30" ACD.. :D

4. Amethyst macrumors 6502

+1 for Redesigned 30" Apple Cinema Display

Beg for 24" LED ACD Matte and more input choice (HDMI , DVI...)

5. Roy macrumors 6502

New 30 in display is probably likely, but Mac Pro probably nothing. Just going on the history of the Mac Pro (not pre-Mac Pro).

6. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I read in MacWorld that Steve doesn't like blu-ray.
    Also I think that he said that it will be a while for the Macs to get those drives.
    The new 30" ACD might come out then, so if you don't have one already, get one. It looks like they will have glossy screens too :mad:

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

NOTHING. Absolutely nothing! :eek::confused:

They were updated last month. We have a year and a half before anything is done to them!

NO BLU-RAY. It is impossible.

8. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

Do you think the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 will show up as a BTO option?

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not from Apple, no. It will be available in nVidia's store, as will the Quadro 4800, but neither from Apple.

10. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I don't see anything coming until Gulftown about a year from now.

11. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

I don't think the WWDC will bring anything to the Mac Pro lineup. They just updated it and the Xserve line, so it would be very unusual/unlikely. The display line, however, might see something new (and very overdue), as could the iPhone.

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

steve did not say he hated bluray "Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt. It's great to watch the movies, but the licensing of the tech is so complex, we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace." The licensing has since gotten easier. It has been over a year since the hd format war has officially been declared over. so it is about time apple get blu-ray especially when $800 pc laptops have it.

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That's Stevejobanese for: "Sorry it sucks too bad! We're not gonna implement it or support it till we absolutely have to!"

And I'm actually being serious here. ;)

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

I see it going sort of like this:

1. We don't want to pay for the licensing.
    2. We didn't invent it, and don't have control.

So we'll wait until it causes a reduction in sales. :p

15. grue macrumors 65816

Impossible? Far from it.

What is it with you and your stating things as fact when they are simply your opinion? It's one thing for forum regulars who are used to it and don't take it seriously, but who knows how many people actually take your posts at face value?

16. rmpstudio macrumors member

+2 on the 30" screen. i just got my Mac Pro and i'm loving it (i stayed up for 40hours straight playing with it - no joke)

Glossy? Got any sources for that little claim? Or are you just assuming that because the current 24" LED's have them that the new ones will as well?

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Tell me, is there any evidence of Blu-ray in Snow Leopard? Any at all?

Nope.

We would have had to see SOMETHING by now for the implementation of something as low-level as Blu-ray to show up. You can't just pop some code in the DVD Player and say "Oh, hey, Blu-ray!"

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

IIRC, Apple has been slipping in the necessary hardware requirements on their products. So it looks like they're at least hedging their bets. ;) Software OTOH, would likely be a little while. It might show up as an update in SL, but so far, I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about "hidden features" from anywhere. If it had, I'd think t0mat0's thread would have mentioned it. :D

19. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

+3 on the 30" ACD. I've just delayed my Mac Pro order that I made a few weeks ago so I can get it shipped with the same apple care. I might go postal if they don't announce it :mad: :eek: :)

20. grue macrumors 65816

It's completely irrelevant to what I said. I'm not saying it's going to happen. I'm saying that your smug attitude and acting like you have access to perfectly accurate information is ridiculous. It's one thing to say "I don't think it will happen", it's another entirely to say "no, it will not happen."

Futhermore, it's Apple. They have a hilarious propensity for doing things their way, even if it means shipping what seem like completely untested features.

21. HotPink macrumors newbie

This is why I don't think we'll see a display update for WWDC: Why would Apple wait? They are sorely lacking good display options right now, and leaving money on the table. A new display is not a *newsflash* event like a new iPod or a new iPhone. I think if they had new displays they would just make a soft announcement now! Waiting seems ridiculous.

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I can see free speed bump upgrades in the line for the Mac Pro + Snow Leopard.

Maybe a new mac will be released in a lineup something between a ipod touch and a macbook (tablet perhaps?).

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Of course he'll say that nothing on the Mac Pro will be updated! He just bought his a only a month ago!! ;)

24. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I'm hoping for - BluRay availability and; a new Mighty Mouse - my scroller get's clogged so easily. :(

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, I'll just say what can be done thanks to what is physically possible.