MacPro3,1 Drive sled screw holes 8TB 10TB drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TheBigearedOne, Jun 10, 2017.

1. TheBigearedOne macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I currently have 4 x 4TB drives in my MacPro3,1 2008 8core 2.8mhz

I'd like to put 8TB or 10TB drives in but OWC told me that the screw holes on the bigger capacity drives have changed location and my MacPro drive sleds wont work.

Has anyone found drive sleds/brackets which will work in the MacPro3,1 and hold those 8 or 10Tb drives?

I see sleds for Mac Pro (2009-2012) https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MPRODBKTLG6/ but they dont make them for my 2008 macpro so I wonder is anyone else making them?

Im not aware of any max total TB capacity in this desktop so I might go for 4 x 10TB drives for a total of 40TB inside?

Thanks for any tips!

2. William_si macrumors regular

William_si

they should be the same? i'm sure i use the owc ssd sled from my 1,1 now in a 4,1 - no issue...

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

It would appear from looking at the drive mounting holes in this link that at least 1 set of holes (nearest the connection) remains usable, this should be enough to keep the drive positioned in the mounting tray.
    A DIY zip-tie or rubber band might be used to support the back end of the drive.

4. Zlobnick, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

Zlobnick macrumors newbie

Zlobnick

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I don't know anything about the OWC SSD sled--maybe they made a universal one. But I do know that the factory Apple drive sleds for a 1,1 and 4,1 are different.