Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MrMagicMadMax

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
Germany
I got my 970 EVO 2TB and it works great with bootrom 140.0.0.0.0 and High Sierra. It just takes a little longer to show the Apple logo and actually start booting than with the SM951.
To anyone wondering how to clone/upgrade, here is what I did:

I previously had the SM951 with 10.11.6 El Cap on it and my home folder on an 850 EVO installed on a SATA III Controller. I then did a fresh High Sierra Install on an old 1TB HDD. From there I upgraded my bootrom to 140.0.0.0.0. I then put a second 1TB HDD in the Mac Pro and used Disk utility in the freshly installed High Sierra to clone the system volume from the SM951 to that second 1TB HDD. You could also use a bootable Stick for that but I needed full OS X because my home folder was on the other SSD. After 10.11.6 was restored to the HDD I copied my home folder over to that same HDD and booted it. After setting the new location of my home folder and a reboot, permissions were broken so I ran "diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`" to fix permissions and afterwards everything worked again. I then upgraded then removed the old SSDs and upgraded to High Sierra on the HDD to have a backup if anything went wrong. Luckily the upgrade worked fine. Now I put in my 970 EVO 2TB and booted the clean High Sierra install again, which prompted me to format the new drive. I made a mistake here by formatting with APFS. After restoring my upgraded High Sierra Install to it (which took about 4 hours for ~600GB) it wasn't bootable. So I reformatted it with Mac OS extended (journaled) and restored again. Now everything work perfectly!
I already have an RX 580 here. As soon as the power cable arrives, I will upgrade to Mojave which might also change the filesystem to APFS.

TC!!

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 upgraded to 6 core 3.46 GHz. I'm using a Velocity Solo x2 card to boot from a Samsung 840 evo SSD. Following the great instructions here it's also running an RX 580 with Mojave 10.14.1.

After doing that upgrade I also bought a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe card which I installed using a StarTech M.2 adaptor with space for 3 M.2 cards 1 NVMe and 2 SSD. I found out after doing this that the 5,1 couldn't boot the NVMe which didn't bother me too much as I've been using it as a fast drive for Final Cut Pro. I also couldn't fit this in the slot directly above the RX 580 as the ability to add 2 M.2 drives underneath means it touches the RX580, what I'd read suggest I'm getting the same speed from Slot 3 as I would from Slot 2 anyway.

Now I've found this thread which shows I can get the most from the NVMe but I've been having big problems with my machine since last week, which MIGHT coincide with me upgrading to 10.14.1. My mac has started crashing, no restart just hangs with nothing being displayed, all USB devices are disconnected and bluetooth magic trackpad is off. The only way I can fix this is to hard reset, if I try to restart immediately it doesn't work. If I leave it for a couple of minutes then it boots with no chime. I say might coincide with 10.14.1 as it had been crashing and restarting since Mojave but last Friday I started experiencing this new behaviour.

This morning I've tried removing the NVMe in case this could be causing the problem. I know it gets very hot and that's the only thing I can think off which would require me to wait before being able to successfully restart. I know this is off topic for this thread but since so many people here are using NVMe I thought I might find someone with the same problem. I'm also wondering if me running 10.14.1 which seems to be more NVMe compatible alongside boot rom 138.0.0.0.0 which is less NVMe compatible could be causing my issue?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 upgraded to 6 core 3.46 GHz. I'm using a Velocity Solo x2 card to boot from a Samsung 840 evo SSD. Following the great instructions here it's also running an RX 580 with Mojave 10.14.1.

After doing that upgrade I also bought a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe card which I installed using a StarTech M.2 adaptor with space for 3 M.2 cards 1 NVMe and 2 SSD. I found out after doing this that the 5,1 couldn't boot the NVMe which didn't bother me too much as I've been using it as a fast drive for Final Cut Pro. I also couldn't fit this in the slot directly above the RX 580 as the ability to add 2 M.2 drives underneath means it touches the RX580, what I'd read suggest I'm getting the same speed from Slot 3 as I would from Slot 2 anyway.

Now I've found this thread which shows I can get the most from the NVMe but I've been having big problems with my machine since last week, which MIGHT coincide with me upgrading to 10.14.1. My mac has started crashing, no restart just hangs with nothing being displayed, all USB devices are disconnected and bluetooth magic trackpad is off. The only way I can fix this is to hard reset, if I try to restart immediately it doesn't work. If I leave it for a couple of minutes then it boots with no chime. I say might coincide with 10.14.1 as it had been crashing and restarting since Mojave but last Friday I started experiencing this new behaviour.

This morning I've tried removing the NVMe in case this could be causing the problem. I know it gets very hot and that's the only thing I can think off which would require me to wait before being able to successfully restart. I know this is off topic for this thread but since so many people here are using NVMe I thought I might find someone with the same problem. I'm also wondering if me running 10.14.1 which seems to be more NVMe compatible alongside boot rom 138.0.0.0.0 which is less NVMe compatible could be causing my issue?
To boot from NVMe you need to upgrade to 140.0.0.0.0, the first post on this thread has instructions.

Run AHT and check what is your problem, run the extended test, you can read how to download it from Apple install it into a USB-key from here https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Reactions: TC!!

TC!!

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
To boot from NVMe you need to upgrade to 140.0.0.0.0, the first post on this thread has instructions.

Run AHT and check what is your problem, run the extended test, you can read how to download it from Apple install it into a USB-key from here https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Thank you so much for all the help you're giving us. I've just done the Boot Rom upgrade to 140, downloading the AHT now. Do I need to put my old graphics card back in for that to run instead of my RX580?

Sorry but 1 more question, what's the best way to move my boot drive over from my SSD to the NVMe? Use something like Carbon Copy Cloner? I've not had a clean install of the OS for years, if I did want to start from scratch can I do a clean install of Mojave?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Thank you so much for all the help you're giving us. I've just done the Boot Rom upgrade to 140, downloading the AHT now. Do I need to put my old graphics card back in for that to run instead of my RX580?

Sorry but 1 more question, what's the best way to move my boot drive over from my SSD to the NVMe? Use something like Carbon Copy Cloner? I've not had a clean install of the OS for years, if I did want to start from scratch can I do a clean install of Mojave?

Can use RX580 for firmware. And yes, CCC works great.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
You need to install the original GPU to run AHT, usually newer GPUs or don't have the driver or get errors.

CCC or SuperDuper!. I prefer to do a clean install every new major macOS release. After you upgrade your BootROM, you can do a clean install from USB, no problem with RX-580.

MTBnBeer

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
Is this the correct 1TB Samsung 970 EVO - NVMe PCIe M.2 stick for an Angelbird Wings PX1 PCIe x4 M.2 Adapter for our 2009 cMP 4,1->5,1 running Mojave 10.14.1 (boot rom 140.0.0.0) upgraded with dual 6-core 3.33 GHz Xeons and a MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5 video card ??? https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-1TB-MZ-V7E1T0BW/dp/B07BN217QG

What speed increase can we expect for this upgrade vs. our current Samsung 850 Pro SSD on our Apricom X2 Duo PCIe card?

Alternatively, would a Saumsung 960 EVO - NVMe PCIe M.2 stick that's $70 less be a bad choice vs. a 970 EVO - NVMe PCIe M.2 stick ?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is this the correct 1TB Samsung 970 EVO - NVMe PCIe M.2 stick for an Angelbird Wings PX1 PCIe x4 M.2 Adapter for our 2009 cMP 4,1->5,1 running Mojave 10.14.1 (boot rom 140.0.0.0) upgraded with dual 6-core 3.33 GHz Xeons and a MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 4GB GDRR5 video card ??? https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-1TB-MZ-V7E1T0BW/dp/B07BN217QG

What speed increase can we expect for this upgrade vs. our current Samsung 850 Pro SSD on our Apricom X2 Duo PCIe card?

Speed increase for file copying or booting? That can make a huge difference.

MTBnBeer

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2015
Speed increase for file copying or booting? That can make a huge difference.

More file copying & application use since this cMP is rock solid rarely requiring a reboot... usually because Adobe Acrobat XI Pro 11.0.23 (32-bit last non-subscription of Acrobat Pro) eventually slows to a crawl requiring cMP restart.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
More file copying & application use since this cMP is rock solid rarely requiring a reboot... usually because Adobe Acrobat XI Pro 11.0.23 (32-bit last non-subscription of Acrobat Pro) eventually slows to a crawl requiring cMP restart.

File copying is about 3x faster.

Apps loading should be more or less the same, unless there is a huge associated library.

Reactions: MTBnBeer

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Just to document, when you run AHT, it saves the results into the first stream of the NVRAM volume, usually like this:

Code:
aht-results
<dict>
<key>_name</key>
<string>spdiags_aht_value</string>
<key>spdiags_last_run_key</key>
<date>4018-01-25T18:18:20Z</date>
<key>spdiags_result_key</key>
<string>spdiags_passed_value</string>
<key>spdiags_version_key</key>
<string>3A207</string>
<key>spdiags_loopcount_key</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 20.59.37.png

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Just to document, when you run AHT, it saves the results into the first stream of the NVRAM volume, usually like this:

Code:
aht-results
<dict>
<key>_name</key>
<string>spdiags_aht_value</string>
<key>spdiags_last_run_key</key>
<date>4018-01-25T18:18:20Z</date>
<key>spdiags_result_key</key>
<string>spdiags_passed_value</string>
<key>spdiags_version_key</key>
<string>3A207</string>
<key>spdiags_loopcount_key</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
View attachment 803926

you can see the result of your AHT/ASD in system profiler under diagnostics too :)

TC!!

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2018
Just realised the blank screen I'm seeing when my Mac Pro is crashing might be a kernel panic. If you're using an RX580 do you see a kernel panic screen or is the screen just blank the same as no boot up screen?

Also ruled out the NVMe as I pulled it this morning to rule it out.

Edit: crap, I think I've found my problem, my 32GB of RAM is being reported as only 16GB.
Edit2: reinserted all my memory in reverse order now have 24GB, 3 crucial memory are working fine, 1 Samsung seems to have died

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Just realised the blank screen I'm seeing when my Mac Pro is crashing might be a kernel panic. If you're using an RX580 do you see a kernel panic screen or is the screen just blank the same as no boot up screen?

Also ruled out the NVMe as I pulled it this morning to rule it out.

Edit: crap, I think I've found my problem, my 32GB of RAM is being reported as only 16GB.
Edit2: reinserted all my memory in reverse order now have 24GB, 3 crucial memory are working fine, 1 Samsung seems to have died
Run AHT with your original GPU.
[doublepost=1542155280][/doublepost]You can install AHT into a usb-key, you can read instructions and links for AHT on Apple servers here: https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I've tried to read the initial pages and the last few pages of this thread trying to figure out how to upgrade the 138.0.0.0.0 Boot Rom of my Mac Pro 5,1 to 140.0.0.0.0, but it's very unclear to me. Perhaps I missed something important, but I don't know what. I'm already running Mojave 10.14.1. Isn't there a standalone ROM updater? If there isn't, how should I proceed? Should I download the full 10.14.1 installer? And then, do what? Reinstall 10.14.1? When, exactly will I be prompted to upgrade the ROM?

EDIT: I've just downloaded the fulll 10.14.1 installer from Apple. I've tried to run it, just in case it offered me to upgrade the ROM, but, curiously enough, it said it couldn't run, because my Mac must have a Metal-compatible card (it already has one) and FileVault shouldn't be in place (it isn't). How do I proceed? I know how to use Pacifist, et cetera. So, where is that updater?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I've tried to read the initial pages and the last few pages of this thread trying to figure out how to upgrade the 138.0.0.0.0 Boot Rom of my Mac Pro 5,1 to 140.0.0.0.0, but it's very unclear to me. Perhaps I missed something important, but I don't know what. I'm already running Mojave 10.14.1. Isn't there a standalone ROM updater? If there isn't, how should I proceed? Should I download the full 10.14.1 installer? And then, do what? Reinstall 10.14.1? When, exactly will I be prompted to upgrade the ROM?

EDIT: I've just downloaded the fulll 10.14.1 installer from Apple. I've tried to run it, just in case it offered me to upgrade the ROM, but, curiously enough, it said it couldn't run, because my Mac must have a Metal-compatible card (it already has one) and FileVault shouldn't be in place (it isn't). How do I proceed? I know how to use Pacifist, et cetera. So, where is that updater?

Which OS, which GPU you are running right now? It's hard to help you without knowing your setup.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
You can boot 10.13.6 and run the full 10.14.1 full installer from there, worked for some people.
I no longer have 10.13.6, but I believe I have a zip file of the Mojave GM Installer. The last time I ran said installer, I had High Sierra, and it didn't complain about my Metal card. I wonder if it would complain now. By the way, I've read post 1555 and, provided the GM Installer works on my system, I know how to follow all those instructions. Do you have any pointers that can be tried? For instance, would editing a plist or something like that work if my 7970 GPU is explicitly included among the supported Metal-compatible cards?

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I no longer have 10.13.6, but I believe I have a zip file of the Mojave GM Installer. The last time I ran said installer, I had High Sierra, and it didn't complain about my Metal card. I wonder if it would complain now. By the way, I've read post 1555 and, provided the GM Installer works on my system, I know how to follow all those instructions. Do you have any pointers that can be tried? For instance, would editing a plist or something like that work if my 7970 GPU is explicitly included among the supported Metal-compatible cards?

Install 10.13.6 into an empty disk. You can download it here or via homebrew/MAS. GM installer have 138.0.0.0.0, not 140.0.0.0.0.

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Install 10.13.6 into an empty disk. You can download it here or via homebrew/MAS. GM installer have 138.0.0.0.0, not 140.0.0.0.0.
I don't actually have an empty disk. I would need to purchase one just for this. It's crazy that Apple hasn't provided a standalone 140.0.0.0.0 ROM updater and that, apparently, nobody can create one.

EDIT: I've just run the Mojave GM installer (from 10.14.1). It tells me I don't have a Metal card, which is just incredible. Running the same installer in High Sierra worked perfectly. I'll see if I can install High Sierra somewhere, only to do what? Run the 10.14.1 installer so that the Boot ROM can be updated? Would that suffice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.