MacRumors 2018 Blood Drive!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Doctor Q, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018

Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

blood_drive_2018-small.jpg

The Ninth Annual MacRumors Blood Drive runs for the month of May 2018. We ask you to donate blood and platelets this month, register as an organ donor, and/or register for the bone marrow registry. We especially welcome first-time donors. Remember that every donor was once a first-time donor.

Your blood or platelet donation will help other people survive or recover from injury, surgery, or illness. Your registration as a potential organ or bone marrow donor gives you the potential to preserve the life of someone who suffers organ failure or cure someone of a life-threatening disease.

We hope to add many new donations to the results from our eight previous Blood Drives, which have collectively recorded donations of 470 units of blood, platelets, and plasma, as well as new members of organ donor and bone marrow registries. See the MacRumors Blood Drives FAQ for details.

How to participate in the MacRumors Blood Drive:

1. Donate blood or platelets. Register as an organ donor. Register as a bone marrow donor.

Since we're in cyberspace we don't collect blood ourselves. Donate blood or platelets at any donation center in your area. Pick a day when you can spare an hour or two, and make an appointment. See the Blood and Platelet Donation FAQ for details and donor centers by country.

Registering as an organ donor is easy. Depending on your country, you may be able to register online by filling out a form. You may be asked to sign a donor card or put a sticker on your driver's license. To register to be a stem cell or bone marrow donor, you typically fill out a form and have your cheek swabbed. Nothing to it! See the Organ, Tissue, and Bone Marrow Donation page for details and donor programs by country.

Not everyone is eligible to donate blood. There are restrictions on age, weight, donation frequency, health conditions, etc. See the Blood donor eligibility thread for discussions of the donor restrictions on sexually active gay males and news about the change this year in the U.K. policy. Please support our drive whether or not you can donate blood yourself.
    2. Let us know about it

The reward for donating or registering is personal satisfaction from helping others. But we want to add to your reward by giving you a well-deserved pat on the back.

After you donate, post to tell us about your donation or registration experience. If you donated blood or platelets, tell us how many units and if you're a first-time donor. Tell us if you've just registered as an organ donor or a bone marrow donor. You can post photos too if you want.

We're keeping an Honor Roll to give you public thanks for your generosity, and to encourage others. If you donated in April, please post to let us know.
    3. Spread the word
    • Let others know about the need for these donations. Convince a friend, relative, classmate, or coworker to donate blood. If you do, tell us about it and you'll both join our Honor Roll.

• Edit your forum signature and paste in this line:

:) I support the MacRumors Blood Drive! :)

• Download this image, then use it to set your avatar:

Blood-Drop-Avatar.png

2. Doctor Q, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

MR-Blood-Drive-Honor-Roll.png

The following MacRumors users have reported their blood, platelet, or plasma donation in this thread or related threads. Members who have just registered for the bone marrow registry or just have registered as an organ donor are also listed.

Please help us congratulate and thank these forum members for doing their part to help people in need!

• skinuca: platelet donation (3 units)

• Timelordprime: platelet donation (2 units)

• PJM83: blood donation

• burnhamish: blood donation

• hallux: blood donation

• brinary001: blood donation

• Darien Red Sox: blood donation

• iSkippy: blood donation

• Slade Mahoney: blood donation

• Jonosumner: blood donation

• Timelordprime: platelet donation (2 units)

• fischersd: blood donation

• barbu: blood donation

• JamesMike's English teammates: 4 blood donations

• JamesMike's US teammates: 5 blood donations

• bunnspecial: platelet donation (3 units)

• JamesMike's friends: 2 blood donations

• Linda: platelet donation

• Humanosaurus: blood donation

• Venron: blood donation (2 units)

• FloatingBones: blood donation

• lehrblogger: plasma donation

• Linda: platelet donation

• JamesMike's North Carolina teammates: 8 blood donations

• JamesMike's Montana teammates: 9 blood donations

• Doctor Q: blood donation

• Olifant: blood donation

• JamesMike's British teammates: 6 blood donations

• hallux: blood donation

• stridemat: blood donation

Totals

Blood donations: 52 units
    Platelet donations: 21 units
    plasma donations: 1 unit
    Donation to the Red Cross: $250

Total units: 74

3. PJM83 macrumors regular

PJM83

4. burnhamish, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018

burnhamish macrumors member

burnhamish

Donated 1 pt. whole blood this morning! Donating O- since 1990.

5. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Donated whole blood on April 12. I was on the fence as I prefer to just donate at work to stay on the schedule there but missed the last 2 rounds due to illness and a vacation. I decided to just do it when a local TV station was doing a drive.

6. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

I just donated a few weeks ago thru my school or else I would donate again! (I think you're not supposed to donate multiple times in an eight-week period or something like that)

7. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Just donated last week. Will schedule another appointment when I am able to give again.

8. iSkippy macrumors newbie

Donated whole blood today. 77th donation since turning 17 (I'm now 36). IMG_1118.jpg

9. Slade Mahoney macrumors newbie

10. Jonosumner macrumors newbie

Donating in Melbourne Australia, 7th May

Attached Files:

11. Timelordprime macrumors member

Timelordprime

Two-units of Platelets at Canadian Blood Services (CBS) in Toronto today (7 May 2018). Booked again for two week’s time.

Attached Files:

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations to our donors so far: skinuca, Timelordprime, PJM83, burnhamish, hallux, brinary001, Darien Red Sox, iSkippy, Slade Mahoney, and Jonosumner.

In almost all cases, the people who received your blood and platelets can't thank you because they don't know who you are. Please permit us to thank you on their behalf.

13. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Donated B positive whole blood on April 28th at the K-W Blood Donor Clinic.

14. barbu macrumors 6502

barbu

Donated on Saturday, so this is great timing. Type O- FWIW, my 19th time.

15. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Starting off well with nine pints so far, four from my English mates and five from my former teammates in the US.

16. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Triple of platelets this afternoon.

I was hesitant to post anything in anticipation of going as my last two trips(November and February) have resulted in infiltrations that knocked me out of donating a while...although at least they managed to get one unit before things went haywire back in February.

In any case, I've been a regular at this same Red Cross location for about 3 years know, and have come to know the staff fairly well. About a year and a half ago, I had two infiltrations in a row with the same nurse, so we've had some fun banter going in the time since that she's not allowed to touch me :) . I walked in, she greeted me, and said "do you feel lucky today?" After some joking around, she managed one of the most seamless donations I've had(and so far not even a trace of a bruise). As she said, the curse is broken :)

I have to say that the staff at the donation center where I go is absolutely wonderful all around-I'd just had a weird series of coincidences with this one nurse, and we've fortunately been able to joke about it since it happened.

17. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

One of my British mate's wife is a police officer and she talked two of her other officers into giving blood for the cause. They in turn working on getting others to give, we shall see what the total will be.

18. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My friend Linda donated platelets last Wednesday. She'll probably get another donation in before the month is over.

19. Humanosaurus macrumors newbie

Humanosaurus

I donated this morning. I've been donating regularly since the 1980's.

[​IMG]

20. Venron macrumors newbie

Venron

Double red donation today, makes 52 units for me. 2018-05-18 11.44.59.jpg

21. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Donated May 10. Staffer doing health interview had an Apple Watch -- but measured pulse rate by hand. :)

I booked my appointment with the Red Cross iOS app so I could track donation with the "My Blood Journey" feature. The blood is in storage now.

22. lehrblogger macrumors newbie

lehrblogger

I donated plasma on May 18th in NYC. I'm happy to be able to give, and appreciate the extra push from MacRumors to get it on my calendar!

IMG_2040.jpg

23. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Triple of platelets this afternoon.

Going to squeeze one more in next week(and maybe the week after-I may or may not space them out by a week if it counts for the drive :) )

24. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You are very dedicated! My friend Linda donated platelets again today, so congratulations to both of you.

I suggest that you donate on your regular schedule. As long as you tell us (in May) of the date of a scheduled donation in June, it counts for our purposes.

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

MacRumors Community,

I can’t donate myself, so you fellow members have to donate for me!
    I am unfortunately ineligible because I received blood transfusions for the treatment of leukemia when I was 4-5 years old. But I am here today, healthy, more than two decades later because of the altruism of people like you!

Thank you to all who have taken the time to donate! Please know your time, generosity, and compassion truly does make a difference.

- AG

P.S. As I cannot donate, in leu of blood I am pledging a $250.00 donation to the American Red Cross for the fantastic, life saving work they do.

Thank you to @Doctor Q for keeping our annual blood drive alive and well! Fantastic work!

Extra special thanks to the type A+ crowd out there. :D