Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Extra special thanks to the type A+ crowd out there. :D

I always knew we were blood brothers, Ari :)
[doublepost=1527087475][/doublepost]
I suggest that you donate on your regular schedule. As long as you tell us (in May) of the date of a scheduled donation in June, it counts for our purposes.

Alright, I'm scheduled for May 29th and June 4th.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Congratulations to the donors from the 2nd and 3rd weeks of May: @fischersd, @barbu, @bunnspecial, Linda, @Humanosaurus, @Venron, @FloatingBones, @lehrblogger, and @JamesMike and his many teammates!

I'll add my blood donation too:

Doctor Q.jpg

Last edited:

Olifant

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Melbourne
D92DA9EF-E535-4079-88C3-B85216923B0F.jpeg
2nd donation 16th May
Really good feeling to get this text message 5 days later:
“Hi (olifant), your blood donation is already at work! Your blood has gone on to save lives at Box Hill Hospital, Vic today. Blood Service team.”

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
There are six more British mates that are finishing a training exercise who want to give but they cannot give until they return to England on the 5th of June. I will nudge them next week to blood donation center.

Reactions: ProTruckDriver

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Just booked a donation for June 7. They're doing a drive at the campus where I work and it happens to be the next day I'm eligible to donate. Provided they take me after having had a cortisone shot today...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Final Tally

The MacRumors 2018 Blood Drive has ended but the need for blood and platelet donations continues. We encourage eligible people to donate blood and platelets at any time of year, to spread the word about how important it is, to sign up for the organ donor registry and bone marrow registry if you haven't already done so, and to encourage others to do the same.

2018 Blood Drive totals:

Blood: 50 donors, 51 donations, 52 units

Platelets: 4 donors, 9 donations, 21 units

Plasma: 1 donor, 1 donation, 1 unit

Totals: 55 donors, 61 donations, 74 units
Thanks and congratulations to the forum members on our Honor Roll:

and to all other blood, platelet, and plasma donors.

Special mention to bunnspecial as top donor, with 12 units of platelets, and to JamesMike, with 34 team members.

Cumulative

Blood: 185 donors, 326 donations, 334 units

Platelets: 34 donors, 93 donations, 201 units

Plasma: 7 donors, 7 donations, 9 units

Totals: 216 donors, 421 donations, 544 units

Multi-year participants: 62

Organ donor signups: 8

Bone marrow registry signups: 3
Top platelet donors: @Timelordprime (30 units), @7thson (29 units), @bunnspecial (27 units), @ironpw (15 units), @skinuca (14 units)

Top blood drive team: JamesMike: 95 units

Thanks everyone! Keep donating, and plan ahead for next year's MacRumors Blood Drive in May 2019!

Last edited:

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you All that have donated. I wish I could donate but I can't with CLL and Agammaglobulinemia. I'm on the Watch-and Wait with the CLL. If I need blood or platelets sometime down the road someone here may have saved my life. Thank you again. :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Join Team MacRumors!

We encourage MacRumors forum members and site visitors to donate blood or platelets at any local donation center, at any time of year.

Next year's MacRumors Blood Drive will be in May 2019. Between now and then, you can pledge your blood donations for the MacRumors Red Cross team, as suggested last year by @Slade Mahoney.

To be included in next year's Honor Roll, enter your forum user name as your First Name and @macrumors as your Last Name when pledging a blood donation for our team.

Example:

Red-Cross-pledge-form.png

Spread the word!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Join Team MacRumors!

We encourage MacRumors forum members and site visitors to donate blood or platelets at any local donation center, at any time of year.

Next year's MacRumors Blood Drive will be in May 2019. Between now and then, you can pledge your blood donations for the MacRumors Red Cross team, as suggested last year by @Slade Mahoney.

To be included in next year's Honor Roll, enter your forum user name as your First Name and @macrumors as your Last Name when pledging a blood donation for our team.

Example:

Spread the word!

I know it was entered as a "dummy" for demo purposes but that zip code is actually valid, it just so happens to be the zip code where I'm donating tomorrow!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
And I did another 3 units of platelets on Monday to finish out the month.

I know this was already tallied, but wanted to be sure to mention it.
We already included your June 4 donation in the stats. Yes, we're that clever!

You and others can record each donation for Team MacRumors at
until our next Blood Drive begins.

The site doesn't let you say that you're donating platelets versus blood, but we can still tally the donations. Go Team!

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
They did accept my donation Thursday (there was doubt due to the Cortisone shot I received the week before), the appointment was made on May 31. Ended up with a little bruising, the girl that did the "stick" didn't put the needle in far enough, they had to come back and go deeper for better flow, including moving it around (likely the cause of the bruise).

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Reminder: Get a head start on the 2019 MacRumors Blood Drive!

Record your blood or platelet donations between now and April 30, 2019. You can donate when you want and where you want, even though we're using a Red Cross team page to record donations.

Step 1: Go to our team page -- sleevesup.redcrossblood.org/campaign/macrumors-blood-drive/ -- and click PLEDGE TO GIVE BLOOD.

sleevesup1-small.jpg

Step 2: Fill in the form:

First Name: Fill in your forum username so we'll know it's you!

Last Name: Type @ macrumors.

Comments: Report the type of donation, e.g., 1 unit of whole blood, 2 units of platelets, etc.

Email address: The address to which an automatic confirmation will be sent. We don't care if you fill in a real address, a fake address, or a disposable one. MacRumors won't use it.

Zip code: Fill in any zip code, which determines the map you see in Step 3. MacRumors won't use it.​

sleevesup2-small.jpg

Step 3: Click MAKE A PLEDGE.

sleevesup3-small.jpg

Step 4: The last screen offers to help you to find a donation location. If you don't need that help, simply close the browser window.

Any donations recorded between now and April 30 will be counted in the MacRumors Blood Drive during May 2019.

Olifant

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Melbourne
I donated in October and just last week ... and I have tweeted to the MacRumor’s donation hash tag !

[doublepost=1548923862][/doublepost]PS 1 unit of whole blood each time ... always nice to get a thank you SMS afterwards

Attachments

• 2EFE5C1E-FA9F-42B3-AB9A-E1BCB4D3F765.jpeg
    2EFE5C1E-FA9F-42B3-AB9A-E1BCB4D3F765.jpeg
    782.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 96B00F19-5F56-4850-B160-EDD949ACF117.jpeg
    96B00F19-5F56-4850-B160-EDD949ACF117.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 216

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Well.. that donation was eventful!! The woman that took care of me was very talkative but very nice. She had trouble getting the test vials to fill and needed to get help. I actually donated today at one of the local Red Cross donation centers, I had to skip my initial appointment due to a doctor's appointment on the same day.

THEN, on the way home I (initially) unknowingly ended up assisting our state police with locating a hit and run suspect. Saw him driving erratically on the highway, when he got off (at the exit I was getting off at) I could see the airbags deployed and decided it needed to be called in. He eventually got his car stuck on a snowbank at the entrance to his driveway. I waited for the cops, when the sergeant (one of FIVE officers that were there at the time) came to talk to me he advised me the guy was "hammered". Dispatch had advised me the vehicle was wanted for a hit and run incident, which happened before I saw him the first time.

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
2 units of platelets this morning at NYBC's Grand Central donor center. Great people here as always. As a bonus, it is a few steps from the cool Apple Store in the terminal.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpeg
    IMG_2360.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.