MacRumors 2019 Blood Drive!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Doctor Q, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations to moovyphreak, bogie66, AlliFlowers, Venron, and everyone else who volunteers to save others. You don't have to wear a cape or know how to fly to be a superhero.

2. HotRod1962 macrumors newbie

HotRod1962

Are u kidding me?? the government can kiss my ass.. there not getting my blood.. who knows what they do with it

3. mgmodell macrumors newbie

Whole blood donated May 7 in Incheon, South Korea.

Attached Files:

4. montycat, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

I donated plasma Sunday morning. It takes a bit longer than regular whole blood donation but there is an urgent need for it right now

Attached Files:

5. Timelordprime macrumors member

Timelordprime

Canadian Blood Services is easing rules for gay or bi-sexual men to donate. It used to be that they had to wait a year after having sex before donating. Now it will only be three months effective 3 June 2019. Canadian Blood Services is moving towards no wait period, and just use screening tools similar to hetro men. The prohibition on gay men donating blood goes back to at least the "Tainted Blood" scandal of the late 1980s and early 1990s, when the Canadian Red Cross was in charge of the blood supply. Canadian Blood Services and Health Canada have been slow to make changes, in part, due to new regulations that came out of the Krever Inquiry. It is likely within three years, that gay men will be allowed to donate without having to abstain from sex days or weeks before donation, just like everyone else. https://blood.ca/en/news-and-events...who-have-sex-with-men-reduced-to-three-months

6. Timelordprime, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019

Timelordprime macrumors member

Timelordprime

Donation 354: 2 units of Platelets. Donated the Canadian Blood Services apherysis clinic in downtown Toronto today, Wednesday 2019-05-09.
    4381FFCD-BC32-4D87-809C-A8550877E339.jpeg 678A51D3-C68B-4AE5-B5F5-4C62DDE5FB88.jpeg 12AFFA5D-F85E-420F-8E1F-A5BFCDB50712.jpeg

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You are as dedicated a donor as a person could be. Congratulations!

The total units donated so far in this blood/platelet/plasma drive has now topped 80.

8. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

There were 7 pints from the teams this week and two individual pints. I think the unmined SO individual donors need further attention from me and will do that next week.

9. vault macrumors regular

Donated on 6th, for the usual bounty of eight chocolate bars.

IMG_1035.jpg

Also registered as potential bone marrow donor.

IMG_1039.jpg

10. Slade Mahoney macrumors newbie

Just donated

Attached Files:

11. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congratulations to both of you!

@vault: Did you also donate whole blood in June, August, and November 2018 and January and March 2019, as it appears in the picture?

Yesterday I met a stem cell donor and her recipient, i.e., the man whose life she saved. You never know whether you'll be called as a match for someone (I never have), but it's an amazing gift if you do get the chance to save someone.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Two weeks from surgery yet here I am.

Attached Files:

13. vault macrumors regular

Yup. I try to donate 5-6 times a year.

14. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good news/bad news: I donated blood, but they were out of my favorite snack in the recovery area. :) :(

doctor-q-2019-blood-drive.jpg

15. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

16. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Good news! All the teams achieved their goal, a total of 29 pints. Individuals so far have donated 6 pints (Aussie/NZ). There are still a few individuals I have not heard from and will give them a gentle reminder.

17. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

For those who don't know, JamesMike organizes blood donations by people serving in the military, their spouses, and other individuals, for each year's MacRumors Blood Drive. These teams have donated 35 units of blood this year.

They set a great example for anyone thinking of organizing blood or platelet donations by members of their peer groups, such as coworkers, classmates, churchgoers, friends, neighbors, extended family members, etc.

18. rcappo macrumors 6502

Oops, I posted in the news and discussion thread started by a bot.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macrumors-2019-blood-drive.2179885/

I lost another pint of blood on Friday.

I was probably annoying to the other people around me however. I had a teleconference for work as I was losing blood. I did wear headphones, but it probably looked like I was talking to myself a few times.

This was the least painful donation ever though.

Attached Files:

19. skinuca macrumors member

skinuca

Dr Q's message earlier this year reminded me to get back in the game. I have made it once a month for 3 units of platelets, except for April which they only got 2. ( i had a lower count and was short of time that day.

Thanks Dr. Q and MacRumors for getting folks active with donations!

Attached Files:

20. barbu macrumors 6502

barbu

*raises hand* 500 mL of type O neg on Saturday. Good job everyone.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    So nice that you joined our little forum just to drop a chud in the pool. The government invented the internet so you better unplug now before they sap and impurify your precious bodily fluids.

21. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Final Blood Drive Tally

The 2018-2019 MacRumors Blood Drive has ended, but you can record donations from now through April 2020 on our Team Page. These donations will be tallied for the 2019-2020 MacRumors Blood Drive in May 2020.

We encourage eligible people to continue to donate blood and platelets at any time of year, to spread the word about how important it is, to sign up for the organ donor registry and bone marrow registry, and to encourage others to do the same.

Blood Drive totals:

Blood: 59 donors, 79 donations, 82 units

Platelets: 8 donors, 21 donations, 45 units

Plasma: 5 donors, 28 donations, 28 units

Totals: 69 donors, 126 donations, 155 units

1 new bone marrow registry signup​

Thanks and congratulations to the forum members and friends on our Honor Roll:

and to all other blood, platelet, and plasma donors.

Special mention

For joining the bone marrow registry: @vault.

For multiple blood donations: @JamesMike (organized 35 donations), @FloatingBones (7 donations), @vault (6 donations), @Doctor Q (4 donations), @gentlegiantcrai (3 donations), @barbu (2 donations), @jbachandouris (2 donations), @ozziejeff (2 donations), and @Venron (2 donations).

For multiple platlet donations: @Timelordprime (8 donations), @skinuca (5 donations), @bunnspecial (2 donations), and @7thson (2 donations).

For multiple plasma donations: @chaleyer (13 donations), @chaleyer's wife (10 donations), and @ozziejeff (3 donations).

Cumulative Totals

In 10 years the MacRumors Blood Drives have recorded donations of 699 units of blood and platelets and plasma (416 blood + 246 platelets + 37 plasma) in 547 donations by 234 distinct donors. 101 of them donated more than once. We have recorded 8 new signups for the organ donor registry and 4 new signups for the bone marrow registry. We've heard from many forum members whose lives were affected by blood, platelet, or bone marrow donations.

Special mention for participating in 5 or more MacRumors Blood Drives:

@G4-power (8 drives), @Timelordprime (8 drives), @jbachandouris (7 drives), @rcappo (7 drives), @stridemat (7 drives), @7thson (6 drives), @hallux (6 drives), and @skinuca (5 drives).​

By units, the top donors are:

@Timelordprime (46 units), @7thson (35 units), @bunnspecial (33 units), @skinuca (28 units), @chaleyer (17 units), and @ironpw (15 units).​

22. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Keep recording your donations with Team MacRumors

Team MacRumors.png

From now until April 2020 we ask blood, platelet, and plasma donors to record their donations on our 2019-2020 Team Page. We'll tally them for the next MacRumors Blood Drive, in May 2020.

To record your donation:
    1. Bookmark the 2019-2020 Team Page, if you didn't already.
    2. Go to the 2019-2020 Team Page.
    3. Click PLEDGE TO GIVE BLOOD.
    4. Fill in your MacRumors username as your first name and @ macrumors as your last name.
    5. In the Comments field, tell us what type of donation and how many units, e.g., 1 unit of whole blood, 2 units of platelets, etc.
    6. The email address and zip code fields don't matter. MacRumors won't use that information.

23. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I can't seem to do the team page as it pulls only from the Red Cross. I use an organization called Life South. I'm giving platelets again right now.

24. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You donation did show up on the Team Page. Thanks!

The Red Cross uses sleevesup.redcrossblood.org to help donors find donation centers based on their locations, but we use it simply as a way to record donations by forum members.

25. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

It was easy to get my special ops friends to give, they get a free barbecue at my place when they visit me in England...lol!