MacRumors 2019 Blood Drive!

chaleyer

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Sydney, Oz
Just about done donating a triple of platelets.
View attachment 835231
Hi 7thson. I'm interested in how different countries measure platelet donations and see that you did a triple. When I do a double platelet in Australia, it takes me ~90 minutes, but I can't recall the volume. (...for a single plasma donation today, it was 757ml with a saline return at the end) Just wondering how long a triple takes, as I'd be knackered if it was going to take 135 minutes ;-)

Reactions: JamesMike

7thson

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Hi 7thson. I'm interested in how different countries measure platelet donations and see that you did a triple. When I do a double platelet in Australia, it takes me ~90 minutes, but I can't recall the volume. (...for a single plasma donation today, it was 757ml with a saline return at the end) Just wondering how long a triple takes, as I'd be knackered if it was going to take 135 minutes ;-)
I don't recall a triple taking longer than 2 hours, but it depends on the donor. I was told there are donors that can do a triple in 90 minutes, due to their being young and athletic, I suppose. Maybe @Doctor Q could weigh in?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
www.macrumors.com
At the donation center I visit most often, a typical platelet donation (the time you are actually in the chair) takes
  • 45 to 60 minutes for 1 unit of platelets
  • 1 hour to 1.5 hours for 2 units of platelets
  • 2 hours to 2.5 hours for 3 units of platelets
but that can vary depending on the donor's blood volume, blood pressure, and level of hydration, since these all affect the flow speed.

The total appointment takes longer because it includes the interview and recovery time.