Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I managed to get in on this promotion too, and yes -- it's a fantastic title to give away for free!

In my case though, I already purchased Civ 5 via Steam, when they ran a sale on it shortly after the product launched. The good thing about this App Store version is it includes several of the expansion sets that Steam wanted to charge me $15 or more each to add on to my base game.

The odd thing, though? I'm told you can't play this App Store edition of Civ 5 multiplayer against others over the Internet -- only on a local LAN. The Steam version didn't have that limitation.

Correct, the App Store doesnt play nicely with Steam and GameCenter is not capable of handling a multiplayer experience like Civ V.

costyp

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
I lucked out, and got a code, but when I went redeem it it said that it had already been redeemed? Anyone else have this problem?

smackdor

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2014

Most of our giveaways have focused on hardware products, but this week, we've partnered with Aspyr to set up a special one-of-a-kind giveaway. We've teamed up to offer our MacRumors readers a free copy of the ultra popular game Civilization V: Campaign Edition, which normally retails for $29.

We've created a dedicated page for the giveaway. Head over there to get a promotion code for Civilization V: Campaign Edition that can then be redeemed within the Mac App Store. The promotion is open to readers worldwide.

For those of you unfamiliar with Civilization V, it's a turn-based strategy game that lets players lead a civilization to world domination through time, waging wars, discovering technologies, trading with friendly nations, and interacting with some of the world's most powerful historical leaders. Civilization V: Campaign Edition includes the base game, the Babylon Civilization Pack with Nebuchadnezzar II, plus the Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack.

We're providing each of our readers with one promo code apiece, and codes will be available through July 31 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time or until all codes have been claimed. Codes will expire on August 4, so make sure to enter your promo code in the Mac App Store before then. Visit the giveaway page.

Update 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time: We've just exhausted our supply of Civilization V promo codes. We're working on getting more codes to give away and we'll let our readers know when we're able to distribute more, so stay tuned.

Article Link: MacRumors and Aspyr Giveaway: Get a Free Copy of 'Civilization V: Campaign Edition' for Mac

Most of our giveaways have focused on hardware products, but this week, we've partnered with Aspyr to set up a special one-of-a-kind giveaway. We've teamed up to offer our MacRumors readers a free copy of the ultra popular game Civilization V: Campaign Edition, which normally retails for $29.

We've created a dedicated page for the giveaway. Head over there to get a promotion code for Civilization V: Campaign Edition that can then be redeemed within the Mac App Store. The promotion is open to readers worldwide.

For those of you unfamiliar with Civilization V, it's a turn-based strategy game that lets players lead a civilization to world domination through time, waging wars, discovering technologies, trading with friendly nations, and interacting with some of the world's most powerful historical leaders. Civilization V: Campaign Edition includes the base game, the Babylon Civilization Pack with Nebuchadnezzar II, plus the Mongols Civilization and Scenario Pack.

We're providing each of our readers with one promo code apiece, and codes will be available through July 31 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time or until all codes have been claimed. Codes will expire on August 4, so make sure to enter your promo code in the Mac App Store before then. Visit the giveaway page.

Update 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time: We've just exhausted our supply of Civilization V promo codes. We're working on getting more codes to give away and we'll let our readers know when we're able to distribute more, so stay tuned.

Article Link: MacRumors and Aspyr Giveaway: Get a Free Copy of 'Civilization V: Campaign Edition' for Mac
I go to Macrumors twice a day - I go on vacation for a couple of days and miss this - argh.

Reactions: johnnyturbouk

jermerized

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2000
Orange County, CA
I've been a Macrumors reader since the site started. If anything I probably read too much of this stuff! So what luck that I am in back to back meetings all day and don't see this until codes have run out. Making matters worse, the Civ series is one of my all time favorites!

Hope I can get one from the next batch of codes released!

Reactions: johnnyturbouk

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
What MR's staff should do right now, is to decide and announce when they will get us more info on "more codes".
I have visited MR less often since for living outside US, it's no fun to see what deals and giveaways you are missing, but yesterday I checked this news about 20 times. And since there was no info about timeline, I didn't get happier either.
MR?

Reactions: waveman

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Awesome! Thanks!

I claimed my code, but am not at my Mac right now. Will that code remain "mine"? or will it fall back into the pool?

In theory it should be yours only. The only area we've run into problems and will have to rethink how it works is if you are on a shared IP, it only gives away a certain number of unique codes (to prevent someone leeching them all). So, I'd redeem as quickly as you can to make sure. If you run into problems email support@macrumors.com

arn

MLeepson

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
USA
In theory it should be yours only. The only area we've run into problems and will have to rethink how it works is if you are on a shared IP, it only gives away a certain number of unique codes (to prevent someone leeching them all). So, I'd redeem as quickly as you can to make sure. If you run into problems email support@macrumors.com

arn
Awesome. I don't think anyone else where I am will be grabbing a code.

I'll do it asap!

Thanks again for doing this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.