Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors Folding @ Home

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
wow. #1 mac site!

Congrats to the whole folding team.

I installed folding on a comp at CompUSA last time I was there.

I have it installed some other places too.

Working on 25 WUs :).

scem0

Comment

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by maradong
congrats
btw system clocks are not the same. ;-) readjust them, perhaps config the ntpd ...

Arn knows, this is why (originally) a person posted about something that wasn't posted yet... :p

Again our rank is shown here or here or even here

Well a great time in F@H indeed, and with your help we can help even more
people! :D

edit:
Originally posted by AndrewMT
Wow, that sounds great.....I think. What's folding?
Read the FAQ posted above OR at standford

Comment

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
imagine once you guys have a few g5s folding....a week of a lab of dual 2ghz and youll outpace every team ...well according to apple atleast

Comment

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Pff. What about SETI@home? I'm not too fond of Folding@home, especially the client. Is there a command-line client I can use, similar to the SETI@home command-line client?

If there is, I might consider joining, but not with the god-awful interface that is the regular Folding@home client.

(BTW, scem0, did you mean for your name to have that meaning, or was that accidental? :p )

Comment

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by simX
Pff. What about SETI@home? I'm not too fond of Folding@home, especially the client. Is there a command-line client I can use, similar to the SETI@home command-line client?

If there is, I might consider joining, but not with the god-awful interface that is the regular Folding@home client.

(BTW, scem0, did you mean for your name to have that meaning, or was that accidental? :p )

Ask and ye shall receive.

Thanks for posting the story, arn. :)

Comment

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by AndrewMT
Wow, that sounds great.....I think. What's folding?

there are about 3,000 links to what folding is on this page.

I urge you to participate. Not only for MR but also for humanity.

Originally posted by simX

what meaning?

scem0

Comment

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
this is great stuff, "fo' shizzle."
i did a couple of WUs myself, but decided my laptop didn't need to cook like that. i need to get a desktop computer, or just con my friends into folding for my user name...

Comment

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
The G5 isn't going to help unless they optimize for it...well, maybe some.

Congrats, team! I gave up on mine as my iMac is just too slow to make any progress. I was about half way through a WU after like 10 days, and then it went back to zero inexplicably. Plus I just can't sleep soundly with my computer running actively in the same room. But I still believe in the program and think anyone who can help, should. Stanford rocks.

Someone should give the client writers a clue and give people a console/minimal interface that still tels us what our status is without showing the (to most of us) meaningless rendering.

Comment

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Weird, that Arn should post this today, as I checked the stats for the first time in a long time today. I was blown away at how many users we have on the team. I like it. I might even be forced to break down and add a "folding-centric" signature to my posts.

Anyway, this is awesome. I hope these folders stick around. Nice work.

Comment

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
Originally posted by BaghdadBob
The G5 isn't going to help unless they optimize for it...well, maybe some.

Congrats, team! I gave up on mine as my iMac is just too slow to make any progress. I was about half way through a WU after

I think that the G5 will do especially well in folding even if the code isnt optimized for it

Comment

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Do I have to use a Mac to add my results to Macrumors team? I have 4 AMD Athlon PCs that are not doing anything some of the time that I could use (I use them for lan games when people come round). I have a few Macs also, but they are all laptops.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by hvfsl
Do I have to use a Mac to add my results to Macrumors team? I have 4 AMD Athlon PCs that are not doing anything some of the time that I could use (I use them for lan games when people come round). I have a few Macs also, but they are all laptops.
You can use what ever MHz you have free ;) Run it ony any platform you like, just make sure your team number is 3446 :D

Comment

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
fold like you've never folded before!

i just recently hit 1000 points, and i've been teetering right at the 70th position. my goal is to get into the 50s, but all i have is a 233 imac and an 866(?) celeron. my point is, it doesn't matter what kind of machine you have. just do it (no endorsement from nike...)

now if rice university could only get some distributed computing going! we beat stanford in baseball, why not this? :D not to go too far off topic, but it sure is nice to see the owls win something. what a great, quiet little school here in texas. it was awesome--the houston chronicle headline read "rice guys finish first". classic.

edit: that's 70th position for macrumors. i'm in about 28000th place overall...

Comment

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Bah - SETI@Home...

Look -- why not point your spare CPU time at SETI@Home, as I do, and then when we find the aliens, we can ask them how protein folding works. Simple.

blakespot

Comment

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
New G5's and folding

I, for one, can't wait unti SETI and the Protein folding project get their hands on a G5 computer and we mac users are allowed to lace into either project. With computing power such as the G5 at our disposal, I think that the Mac community will be getting greater recognition in both of these programs very quickly.

Comment

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
Re: Bah - SETI@Home...

Originally posted by blakespot
Look -- why not point your spare CPU time at SETI@Home, as I do, and then when we find the aliens, we can ask them how protein folding works. Simple.

blakespot

or you could also anger them and get the whole world destroyed. :rolleyes:

Comment

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Fold, Because you can.

Originally posted by blakespot

blakespot

Sure, and then they can cure HIV/AIDS and any other significant Virus, right?

I doubt in my life time that will happen, and if you find them, what is the clostest planet, a good couple light years away, yeah a damn long distance.

I think folding will have a more immediate effect on the world population...

Comment

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I have tried to fold two or three times in the past, and I really want to be successful. But whenever I get the thing up and running, it seems just to sit there. I left it on overnight and nothing happened. I am all for trying to help out but I also want to know that something is happening. does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Freg3000
I am all for trying to help out but I also want to know that something is happening. does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Start a thread in the distributed forum explaining you problems exactly, what folding app you're using, etc. - you'll get the answers you need.

Have you tried the scripts?

Congrats to the team! Looking forward to breaking 50k points for a week! :D

D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.