MacRumors frontpage hacked?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lewisd25, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Firefox gave me a "malicious site" warning when I tried to load MacRumors. I ignored the warning and then prompts telling me I have a virus poped up, then a new browser window opened to some fake virus scan interface...

Anyone else see this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No MacRumors hasn't been hacked. It's either your browser or your DNS servers.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Works fine for me, Firefox 3.0.8 for Windows and Linux, Opera 9.64 for Windows and Linux.

BL.

4. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

check your computer for viruses. It sounds like your computer is infected. Our front page is fine and has not been "hacked."

5. Mengels7 macrumors regular

Spyware Ads for Front Page

Why'd you dismiss the other guy's thread so quickly? I'm also being warned the site has malicious software, and then I am redirected to a "Spyware Remover" ad that pretends to look like a Windows explorer window. I'm on a Mac, and it only happens on MacRumors and happened today, and another guy also posted that. I'm convinced it's the site, not us.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you're so convinced it's the site, why isn't this forum flooded with questions about a malicious site warning? Thousands of people visit this site every day, and 2 people have complained about it. It's not the site, it's your machine.

7. LowEnder macrumors member

It happened to me using IE on a Windows machine around 7 pm Tuesday evening...I had just gotten onto the front page of macrumors when it happened

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Safari just warned me that this site may harm my MBP??? I told it not to access the site and macrumors homepage loaded. What's up?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The site hasn't been hacked, but there's a chance that a sneaky and intrusive ad offering the software has made its way into the rotation. If anybody can help identify what ad is loading when this happens (screenshots and links are most helpful), we'll get it removed.

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yeah, I figured that's what it was too. I also got the malicious site warning yesterday, but I just reloaded the page and it was fine. Must have been one of the ads...

11. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Yeah, it's probably the ad that's triggering it. Some of those "spyware removers" can be malware in disguise:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/159316/fake_infection_warnings_can_be_real_trouble.html?tk=rel_news

12. ifonline macrumors regular

Wow... you couldn't be more wrong.

I just got the warning today regarding malware from MacRumors. To use your oh so clever use of bold... It's not my machine, it's an ad in rotation on this site.

13. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Crustat.com on macrumors?

Wow, I just typed www.macrumors.com, the page was loading and suddenly it took me to another website, it was something with crustat.com and Safari blocked it because it said it has malicious software and it was not safe to go there. Any thoughts?

***********WARNING, DO NOT CLICK ON THIS WEBSITE***************
    The website is http://crustat/ts/in.cgi?mfcdologology&se=oth&ur=1&HTTP_REFERER=enj-cmpid%3Ddologology

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Where did you type it e.g., browser location bar, google search page, etc.? Also, in what browser? Can you reproduce this?

Also, you may wan to break the link you ask people not to click on so they can't click on it.

15. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Just Happened

It just happened to me using Safari. I clicked a link in the Hardware box on the right hand side and Safari gave me the big warning screen. Here is the redirect url:

http://crustat.com/ts/in.cgi?mfcdologology&se=oth&ur=1&HTTP_REFERER=enj-cmpid%3Ddologology

16. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Removed .com from the link.

It was on safari, I typed it on the browser location bar. Macrumors mainpage started to load, but then I was redirected to the crustat site, weird

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I had this happen to me as well. Once on Safari at home and once on my work computer (Windows) using Firefox.

If others are getting it and it is specific to macrumors.com, then it makes me feel like it is less likely to be spyware on my comp.

18. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just to reinforce your point about not going to the link, here is Mcafee's page for crustat, which in short lists it as malicious.

Though that doesn't help us determine if the issue here is related to something on MacRumors or with your guy's browsers. I haven't turned up much else yet.

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

How could it not be related to Macrumors if this is the site it keeps happening on? I'm no web guru, just curious...

20. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

if possible, a screenshot of the macrumors page when this happens or even an "activity" window from safari would be very helpful.

arn

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We're aware of the situation and trying to pin down what ad is causing it. A screenshot of the ad or of the whole front page (if either of those is possible...there seem to be differing reports about what happens when users attempt to load the front page) would be the most useful thing we need to help chase this down, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Our apologies for the difficulties, and please bear with us until we get this cleaned up.

22. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

23. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It could be a DNS related issue (example) that effects your machine or router. Also, from what the mods are commenting, it seems to be related to an ad, which is hosted on a different site than Mac Rumors, which means the issue is not necessarily on Mac Rumors side.

I use Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript so the issue can't effect me if it's related to the ads. May turn them off when I get home to my Mac to see if I can reproduce the issue so it can be figured out.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had ads turn up as malicious on plenty of legitimate sites. You'll get the FireFox or Safari warning and it'll point to the ad.

25. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Thanks for the example, angelwatt. Glad I changed the password on my router!

If I happen to catch the warning again, I'll be certain to post the requested info.