MacRumors Giveaway: Win a 'Baxter' Storage Shelf for Your iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 1, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Understands to give MacRumors readers a chance to win one of several "Baxter" storage solutions for the iMac.

[​IMG]
    Joe Baxter​

Currently available through a Kickstarter project that launched this week, Baxter is a series of rear-mounted storage options designed to add more storage space to your iMac.

[​IMG]
    Nigel Baxter​

There are several different Baxter configurations, each of which is made from a lightweight laminated birch wood and mounts to the back of an iMac. Every one of the Baxters is available with metallic paint, a walnut veneer, a stock image, or a custom print at varying price points. Configurations and starting price points are as follows:

[*]Nigel Baxter ($45) - A single shelf for the rear of the iMac, able to hold a few accessories.
    [*]Shira Baxter ($45) - A six-shelf arrangement that's designed to hold hard drives or other small accessories.
    [*]Mary Baxter ($45) - Two wide shelves that can hold twice as much as the Nigel.
    [*]Joe Baxter ($55) - Two shelves like the Mary Baxter, with 8 cable wraps for keeping your cords organized.
    [*]Art Baxter ($75) - A customized backing for the iMac that does not include any shelves.

All of the Baxter prices listed above are entry level. Customization and walnut veneer are more expensive, but for those who have access to a laser machine or who are crafty, there are options to buy raw design files or a DIY kit at much lower prices. Design schematics can be purchased for as little as $2, while DIY kit pricing starts at $20.

[​IMG]
    Mary Baxter​

Baxter storage solutions fit onto the back of iMacs with no tools or adjustments required, and they are compatible with both 21.5 and 27-inch iMac models. Understands says they've been manufactured to add stability to the Mac, so the weight of accessories should not be a problem.

[​IMG]
    Shira Baxter​

Baxter storage solutions can be purchased right now from Kickstarter with an estimated ship date of January 2018, but we have 15 to give away to MacRumors readers. Winners can choose the configuration and color of their choice. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (December 1) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on December 8. The winners will be chosen randomly on December 8 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a 'Baxter' Storage Shelf for Your iMac

2. scottcampbell macrumors member

3. chipb macrumors newbie

This has to be the stupidest thing I've seen in the past....8 hours...but come on, this really is stupid...

4. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Who wouldn't want to make their beautifully-uncluttered iMac look like an over-utilized I.T. closet shelf?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Lets put a plant on a computer so when you water it, you get to water your iMac as well :p

6. seanmcbay macrumors member

Why would anyone want this? Just put a cheap shelf behind your iMac. You’ll save money and it won’t look stupid.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

For the people who want to put a plant as close as possible to their face without being able to see it.

8. scottcampbell macrumors member

9. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

If I were ever that organized, I wouldn't be able to find a damned thing...

10. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

For $45+, there just has to be an IKEA hack that would accomplish the same thing. (Making the huge assumption that it's needed in the first place).

11. Xavier macrumors 68020

I can see if you have a lot of connections, having shelving behind the iMac for the devices to hide everything and keep it off the desk could be useful if it is against a wall. Otherwise I feel like it defeats the purpose.

12. modemthug macrumors regular

This is, without a doubt, one of the stupidest products I’ve ever seen. That’s not hyperbole — has to be in the top 20 dumbest products I’ve ever seen.

13. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

Usually I have my design students critique in terms of "what works well" and "what needs work" (and if so, how would you improve the design?). But sometimes, there is just no response other than "this hurts my eyes to look at it" ("hideous" also works).

14. doctor-don macrumors 65816

Oh, pooh-pooh to all of you who never learned to keep your mouths shut if you don't have anything nice to say.

This device is great for people whose space is disorganized. It is similar to having a key rack on the wall.

15. picciano macrumors member

I guess you really don't want this thing to be portable? Jony Ive is probably spinning in his grave!

edit: oops, sorry, forgot he's not dead

16. fairuz macrumors 6502a

fairuz

17. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Seriously awesome way to break the hinge on your iMac.

18. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

When my son-in-law was an engineering student I had him mill me a small shelf that mounts on the back of my iMac that I use to put my time machine drive on. It is very convenient. However, this is way over the top.

19. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Wonder if it would work with any of the older 24 inch models? My inlaws could use something like this to clean up their desk.

20. fairuz macrumors 6502a

fairuz

Ok, maybe some can use this. But if you're gonna add this to your iMac, shouldn't the wood itself look nicer? It looks like the material used in school desks, wood composite board or whatever with fake wood finish on top.

21. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Yep, the company says it also works with older models.

22. laptech macrumors regular

laptech

This is pathetic, another forum giveaway that ignores it's userbase in all other countries.

23. Nimrad macrumors 6502

MacRumors Giveaway: 'Win' a Baxter Storage Shelf for Your iMac?
    Fixed it for you

24. theluggage macrumors 68030

[​IMG]
    Finally, somewhere to store all those new USB-C cables and adapters!

Hey, if you got some screw-top jars and glued the lids to the underside of that, you could have a nifty storage system for loose screws, bolts, unused medication...

[​IMG]

Yet another root vulnerability found in High Sierra!

Another 200 of those plants and your iMac would be carbon-neutral!

Is the plant holder compatabie with cannabis?

New augmented reality version of Plants vs. Zombies launches for Mac!

Seriously - what. could. possibly. go. wrong.

I think my days of being disappointed about being ineligible for MacRumors giveaways may be coming to an end...

25. canadianreader macrumors 6502

canadianreader

I actually love this creative idea the plant is a bad idea I must admit but the rest is wonderful