Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Woolnut to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a leather case designed for one of Apple's newer iPhones.

woolnut1.jpg

Woolnut makes a whole range of cases and sleeves for Apple's iPhones, iPads, and Macs, and has iPhone cases that fit all of Apple's modern iPhones.

woolnut2.jpg

Slim in fit and priced affordably at 32.50 to 40 euros or $36 to $45, Woolnut's iPhone cases are made from a high-quality vegetable retanned full-grain leather sourced from Scandinavia. The soft pebble-textured leather will age and darken over time, taking on a rich patina that's unique to each individual user, plus it provides grip.

woolnut3.jpg

Microfiber that matches the leather of the case lines the interior of the case to provide protection for the glass exterior of the iPhone, and a leather lip extends over the edge of the iPhone to keep the display safe when it's face down.

woolnut4.jpg

Buttons remain covered but usable, and at the rear of the case, the leather frames the camera cutout while protecting the camera. The tapered design of the case leaves the Lightning port accessible, and wireless charging is supported.

woolnut5.jpg

Woolnut's cases are available in black, green, and cognac, depending on the iPhone model. We have 12 iPhone cases to give away, with the winner to pick a case that fits their iPhone.

woolnut6.jpg

To enter to win our giveaway, use the Gleam.io widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, following us on Instagram, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (June 26) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on July 3. The winners will be chosen randomly on July 3 and will be contacted by email. The winners will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a Leather iPhone Case From Woolnut

Last edited:
Reactions: handle manifest

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Other than the texture of the leather, aren't these exactly like the Apple leather cases?

DataChris

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Isn't it time we (humans) finally let go of that idea that wrapping high tech devices in the SKIN OF ANOTHER MAMAL is somehow stylish, luxurious or sexy!?!? Is this not just one more aberration that finally needs to end along with all the other abhorrent, racist, unjust actions of humanity? Come on Macrumors! Now is the time, to put an end to offers, giveaways, companies and advertisers that create, fuel and support this brutal, archaic practice!

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Isn't it time we (humans) finally let go of that idea that wrapping high tech devices in the SKIN OF ANOTHER MAMAL is somehow stylish, luxurious or sexy!?!? Is this not just one more aberration that finally needs to end along with all the other abhorrent, racist, unjust actions of humanity? Come on Macrumors! Now is the time, to put an end to offers, giveaways, companies and advertisers that create, fuel and support this brutal, archaic practice!
Oh, here we go with more wokeness... And the whole, hi-tec world we live in, and which I guess you thoroughly enjoy (Apple products etc) and play an active part in has no effect on mamals? These particular animals are bred for eating, and we use their skins as well. They would not even otherwise exit. And honestly, that is as nothing compared with the impact we all make on the planet (and its mamals) just through living day-to-day, leather cases or not. Unless you are completely off grid (which clearly you are not) on some deserted island eating the fruit and drinking rain water, quit complaining about leather cases. Jeez! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
My iPhone had all of 5 seconds of freedom between its retail packaging and its otterbox defender. Not exactly sexy but they sure do work.

These leather cases look nice but I doubt they would have saved my phone from any of its several trips to the ground.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
My iPhone had all of 5 seconds of freedom between its retail packaging and its otterbox defender. Not exactly sexy but they sure do work.

These leather cases look nice but I doubt they would have saved my phone from any of its several trips to the ground.

I've dropped mine several times on direct concrete and it never broke! I'm surprised at how well built the 11 Pro Max is.
On topic: that green one is gorgeous. I might buy it anyway.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
As a more priviliged person you could of course opt for rare snake leather. However, personally, I would recommend marsupial leather, preferably from the koala bear (or some other endangered species).

Nah, seriously... leather is mostly a by-product, at least unless you really buy exotic leather.
Quite frankly, leather is a natural product, quite durable and long lasting if treated properly. In comparison, synthetic products may be based on plastic, which is usually based on oil and difficult to impossible to recycle (unless we talk "thermal recycling"). So, as long as there's a surplus of leather it would be smarter to use that rather than synthetic stuff.
(But there's also people who believe adding 5% bio ethanol to car fuel is helping the environment... Meanwhile rainforest gets roded to plant sugar cane for production of the latter.)

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
As a more priviliged person you could of course opt for rare snake leather. However, personally, I would recommend marsupial leather, preferably from the koala bear (or some other endangered species).

Nah, seriously... leather is mostly a by-product, at least unless you really buy exotic leather.
Quite frankly, leather is a natural product, quite durable and long lasting if treated properly. In comparison, synthetic products may be based on plastic, which is usually based on oil and difficult to impossible to recycle (unless we talk "thermal recycling"). So, as long as there's a surplus of leather it would be smarter to use that rather than synthetic stuff.
(But there's also people who believe adding 5% bio ethanol to car fuel is helping the environment... Meanwhile rainforest gets roded to plant sugar cane for production of the latter.)
Easy there... You are getting into arguments far, far too complicated for the woke brigade. Best just leave them to enjoy hemp sandals, coconut lattes, travelling to protest over supposed injustices about which they know nothing, with their iPhones enshrouded in synthetic cases, doing no harm whatsoever to the environment. If the world was full of them, it would be a fairer and much better place, natch.

purplehaze0

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Harrogate, England
Oh, here we go with more wokeness... And the whole, hi-tec world we live in, and which I guess you thoroughly enjoy (Apple products etc) and play an active part in has no effect on mamals? These particular animals are bred for eating, and we use their skins as well. They would not even otherwise exit. And honestly, that is as nothing compared with the impact we all make on the planet (and its mamals) just through living day-to-day, leather cases or not. Unless you are completely off grid (which clearly you are not) on some deserted island eating the fruit and drinking rain water, quit complaining about leather cases. Jeez! :rolleyes:
This isn’t “woke” it’s called compassion try it sometime.
[automerge]1593211992[/automerge]
Easy there... You are getting into arguments far, far too complicated for the woke brigade. Best just leave them to enjoy hemp sandals, coconut lattes, travelling to protest over supposed injustices about which they know nothing, with their iPhones enshrouded in synthetic cases, doing no harm whatsoever to the environment. If the world was full of them, it would be a fairer and much better place, natch.
You have come across the word “woke” make sure you use it as much as possible street boy. Moved on from using “boomer” every 5 minutes I suppose.
[automerge]1593212094[/automerge]
Absolutely agreed .

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
wish ricardo montalbán was still around to say "available even in rich corinthian leather"
boomer joke

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011

If you agree with the (scientifically proven, peer reviewed and commonly agreed upon) notion that the meat industry is destroying the planet and want to make a change for the good, then there is no moral justification for the use of leather, byproduct or not.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I just have to pick this apart.

Oh, here we go with more wokeness...
Always good to start off by distancing yourself with your audience. I am not really sure how this idea of being aware of others became an insult, but I assume it's associated with the same people who think everyone should be identical to them by calling them snowflakes.
And the whole, hi-tec world we live in,
I think we all love squash. Was that a typo or a really slick vegan burn?
and which I guess you thoroughly enjoy (Apple products etc)
Most of us on MR agree that Apple products = enjoy
and play an active part in has no effect on mamals?
Why was this a question? Was this a question? I am so lost. Are you waiting for a reply?
These particular animals are bred for eating,
What now? How do you get here... Which animals? The people who enjoy Apple products are being bred for food or the mamals? Is Soylent Green made from Apples?
and we use their skins as well.
OK I think I am caught up. Yes, I think that was the part they took objection with. I feel like the person you replied to was very clear that they were against the use of animal skin for fashion. What inspired you to respond if you didn't understand that?
They would not even otherwise exit.
How true! They would not exit if it was not for people.
And honestly,
Oh thank goodness! Whew. You were lying until this point. You rascal.
that is as nothing compared with the impact we all make on the planet (and its mamals) just through living day-to-day
Again, I feel like this was their point. If we could just go living day-to-day, as opposed to killing day-to-day we would have a huge impact on the planet (and its mamals).
, leather cases or not.
You lost me again.
Unless you are completely off grid
I love this re-imagination of Walden where someone goes off into the wilderness to not live off the land.
(which clearly you are not)
*citation needed.
on some deserted island
At no point in this post am I more proud of you that with these four words.
eating the fruit and drinking rain water
Oh no... no... there probably isn't much fruit if the island was deserted. You know what, I like your optimism!
, quit complaining about leather cases. Jeez!
Before I collect my participation trophy because I made it all the way to the end of this I have to admit that I have no idea how you came to the conclusion they should not do the very opposite of what they said.
I don't know what to make of any of this. I am so sorry. I really tried.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: R3k

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Not sure what a MAMAL is, but making cases out of synthetic materials is not much better for the planet with all the micro-plastics being found in nature. Why don't we just forget about advancing to the future and enjoy life as we did 200 years ago. That pandemic probably would never have happened without world-wide travel and world-wide commerce.

• Disagree
Reactions: purplehaze0

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Why don't we just forget about advancing to the future and enjoy life as we did 200 years ago. That pandemic probably would never have happened without world-wide travel and world-wide commerce.

Thing is there will be no future advancement if we mess this place up so badly that it becomes difficult to live on it...say grow enough food.

Meat industry uses 1/3 of the worlds grain harvests. 1 in 9 people on this earth go to bed on an empty stomach (not enough to eat).

Food production accounts for 1/4 of the world greenhouse gas emissions. The majority meat production.

No, synthetic leathers are no where near of an issue.

On your last point- the black plague would like a word.

Peta have a good article on leather production in india: https://www.petaindia.com/issues/animals-used-for-clothing/leather/

In india, its estimated that the leather from a cow is 10x more valuable a commodity than its meat.

Last edited:

MrPresident

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Manchester

congratulations on your self-righteousness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.