Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with well-known storage and memory company Lexar to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win a bundle that includes Lexar's Lightning-based MicroSD Card Reader and a high-performance 64GB MicroSD card.

Lexar's MicroSD Lightning Reader is a tiny coin-sized dongle that makes it easy to transfer content from a microSD card to an iPhone or iPad, so it's an ideal companion to products like drones and GoPro-style action cameras. Many Android phones also feature microSD slots, so it's also a good way to transfer files between Android and iOS device, and it's also useful for transferring files directly between two iOS devices.

The Lightning MicroSD Reader is small enough that it can go anywhere, from a pocket to a small camera bag, but it looks like a high quality accessory that matches well with Apple's design aesthetic. It's so compact that it's potentially easy to lose, but it comes with a little strap so it can be attached to a set of keys or a loop on a backpack. The Lightning connector of the MicroSD Reader fits well into the Lightning port of an iPhone even with a case on, including Apple's own line of cases.

With a USB microSD reader (included with the 64GB card in the giveaway) you can also offload files from a computer and transfer them directly to the iPhone through the microSD reader, or use the reader to offload files from an iPhone to the microSD card for extra storage space.

lexarcardandsdreader-800x612.jpg

The MicroSD Lightning Reader has to be used with the Lexar app, which is decent. If you put content like videos and photos on the microSD card, you can view them directly within the app and save them to the camera roll. You can also use the app to back up your iPhone's photos and contacts and transfer files to Dropbox.

lexarapp-800x706.jpg

The Lexar MicroSD Lightning Reader can be purchased from Amazon for $19.99, but four MacRumors readers will win a Lightning Reader and a 64GB Lexar microSD card through our giveaway. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winner and send the prize.

You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

The contest will run from today (August 12) at 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on August 19. The winners will be chosen randomly on August 19 and will be contacted by email. The winners have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before new winners are chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win a Lightning MicroSD Card Reader and 64GB MicroSD Card from Lexar

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I use the cloud for all this. There are so many services out there. Dropbox and icloud are only two of them. Carrying another dongle that I will probably lose or break before I ever use it is not for me thanks.

Reactions: Zirel and JackANSI
Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I use the cloud for all this. There are so many services out there. Dropbox and icloud are only two of them. Carrying another dongle that I will probably lose or break before I ever use it is not for me thanks.
One of the major complaints I hear is lack of access to the file system on iOS. This bypasses or solves that. Right?

Reactions: HJM.NL
Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I use the cloud for such things too, but then I haven't used a non-iPhone camera in years. I can imagine this might be quite useful for someone who takes their DSLR on a trip, but not their laptop - upload some pictures off the camera to an iPad, use the bigger screen to select the best and tweak a bit, then upload the results to somewhere online.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
One of the major complaints I hear is lack of access to the file system on iOS. This bypasses or solves that. Right?
By putting everything in a cloud storage you can service that gives you whatever filesystem you want. Dropbox has it. icloud sort of has it. I am sure you can get it with others.

The point of this device is to get information from one device to another - I am sure this device does a fine job. All I am saying is that it is possible to do that today without any physical device - and that would be my preference.
[doublepost=1471031291][/doublepost]
I use the cloud for such things too, but then I haven't used a non-iPhone camera in years. I can imagine this might be quite useful for someone who takes their DSLR on a trip, but not their laptop - upload some pictures off the camera to an iPad, use the bigger screen to select the best and tweak a bit, then upload the results to somewhere online.
I have a DSLR that I can create a wifi connection to from my iphone and download photos. It is not fast, but it works. I have a pair of 64gig memory cards for the DSLR, so I have never really needed to do it, but it's nice knowing that I have that option. I would think that with time the camera companies will improve this because it would be very nice not to worry about running out of memory on vacation somewhere.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002

Nope.
It only works with photos and videos. See questions & answers at Amazon at link in article.

You may get removable storage with this, but sure as the Photos app is an abomination from hell, you're still trapped inside the iOS prison with nowhere to go.

Reactions: JackANSI
Comment

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Wait. Who need SD card. People are fine with 16GB storage. And really external storage for iOS is pointless, there is no file system to mange all the file. You will rely on lame app to access your file.
[doublepost=1471037287][/doublepost]
By putting everything in a cloud storage you can service that gives you whatever filesystem you want. Dropbox has it. icloud sort of has it. I am sure you can get it with others.

The point of this device is to get information from one device to another - I am sure this device does a fine job. All I am saying is that it is possible to do that today without any physical device - and that would be my preference.
[doublepost=1471031291][/doublepost]
I have a DSLR that I can create a wifi connection to from my iphone and download photos. It is not fast, but it works. I have a pair of 64gig memory cards for the DSLR, so I have never really needed to do it, but it's nice knowing that I have that option. I would think that with time the camera companies will improve this because it would be very nice not to worry about running out of memory on vacation somewhere.

I dislike cloud storage and perfer local. And I am cheap, I refuse to pay extra dollar for bigger storage. What should I do?

If anything. Not able to manage my file and store my content local via expandable storage is my biggest gripe about iOS.

Comment

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I'd give it to my wife. She fills up her 64GB iPhone all the time.
Nice to be able to quickly dump photos if your phone is full and you're not home. (iCloud is too slow over cell and eats data)

Comment

Sinstar33

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2015
New London
Wait. Who need SD card. People are fine with 16GB storage. And really external storage for iOS is pointless, there is no file system to mange all the file. You will rely on lame app to access your file.

I dislike cloud storage and perfer local. And I am cheap, I refuse to pay extra dollar for bigger storage. What should I do?

If anything. Not able to manage my file and store my content local via expandable storage is my biggest gripe about iOS.

I use the Windows OneDrive app. Open, load, delete off phone. Done. It's all on my laptop. The iCloud still has too many hiccups when it comes to auto DLs to PC folders. Finally got sick of it.

Comment

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015

Theres no filesystem in iOS?

Seriously, where did you take your Computer Science degree? Trump University?

Yes, you rely on lame apps like Finder, Windows Explorer, Midnight Commander, DOS prompt (COMMAND.COM), ES File Explorer, Nautilus, bash, zsh, Windows 3.1 File Manager, etc. to access your file systems.

Like in any OS!

Cloud storage is more expensive than hard drives, but it's cheaper than SD cards in periods of 2 years that you will need to upgrade anyway.

Also, you're not saving money, you're being irresponsible.

You don't need only a SD card, you need to make backups or else what are you going to do if the SD card breaks or you loose it? 99.999% of people don't and then they cry when they loose all their photos and stuff they have accumulated throughout the years.

Also, you need to replicate the investment in the SD card through various devices. You need to buy one for your phone, another for your tablet and even manually copy the files from one to another, wasting time.

Then stick with your old Windows box, and have fun when a ransomware enters and destroys all your files and asks you for bitcoins.

Comment

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
H

Yes, you rely on lame apps like Finder, Windows Explorer, Midnight Commander, DOS prompt (COMMAND.COM), ES File Explorer, Nautilus, bash, zsh, Windows 3.1 File Manager, etc. to access your file systems.

Like in any OS!

Cloud storage is more expensive than hard drives, but it's cheaper than SD cards in periods of 2 years that you will need to upgrade anyway.

You don't need only a SD card, you need to make backups or else what are you going to do if the SD card breaks or you loose it? 99.999% of people don't and then they cry when they loose all their photos and stuff they have accumulated throughout the years.

Also, you need to replicate the investment in the SD card through various devices. You need to buy one for your phone, another for your tablet and even manually copy the files from one to another, wasting time.

Then stick with your old Windows box, and have fun when a ransomware enters and destroys all your files and asks you for bitcoins.

iOS has file system, but no traditional file browser. I should make it more clear.

Tell you want, I much more perfe lame apps like Finder, Windows Explorer. I rather want able to manipulating my files that Apple give me all these restrictions. I want able to move my files around with out going back and forth from apps to apps

Regarding to SD card. I haven't had it break down before I throw out my phone. It is my remote concern.

I don't care about transfer files between devices. I can just plug in to computer and transfer. Simple and easy. No need to upload files to cloud then pay Apple bunch of money to access my file. No thank you.

SD cards are cheap. I can buy 64GB SD card for 30CAD a pop. I buy 3 of them, still cheaper than one storage bump for iPhone. iPhone plus iPad, you need spend 200 dollars for storage bump or 400 dollar from 16Gb to 128GB. And no thanks you and Apple can kiss my ass for that.

Speaking about Windows. I haven't had any malware or ransomware at all. I don't know if you know how to use Windows or not. Better learn to use a computer before you post.

Reactions: timeconsumer
Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is a neat little device, although I'm not sure that I'd want such a bulky little gadget to keep track of.
[doublepost=1471048860][/doublepost]
SD cards are cheap. I can buy 64GB SD card for 30CAD a pop. I buy 3 of them, still cheaper than one storage bump for iPhone. iPhone plus iPad, you need spend 200 dollars for storage bump or 400 dollar from 16Gb to 128GB. And no thanks you and Apple can kiss my ass for that.

One thing to be aware of is the cheaper something is, the cheaper you get. Buy a low-cost SD Card and you may get what you pay for - something that doesn't last. Consumers must choose and spend wisely. One of the reasons why Apple's products are more expensive is the significant technical investment into them. I still think their margins are too high on a few products, but they give away extremely valuable software for free, so it kind of all balances out in the end. I just wish I wasn't forced to spend $100 for an authentic Apple power adapter when I need a replacement. Luckily, with some care, that doesn't happen often. But it does sting when it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment

ColdShadow

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2013
I use cloud too,but cloud is nowhere as efficient and accesible as real physical memory.

speed can vary,uploading large files in a pain in the a** and costs alot.specially Dropbox.

I'm not a fan if this dongle idea but there is no doubt iPad is LIMITED because its lack of a simple and important micro SD card slot.

Cloud can NEVER replace that.

Good luck uploading few titles from your favourite HD movie collection to cloud for that boring long trip..let alone finding fast reliable connection to actually play them.

and thats just one example.

Reactions: HJM.NL
Comment

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
This thing is awesome and I hope I win it!

I use GoPros everyday and I am getting a Phantom 4 soon. Sure I can use wifi to preview footage but it's not full quality and it takes just shy of forever.
This would be awesome to check shots in the field and wouldn't take up anymore room.

Personally, I think this is awesome.

My bigger cameras also have wifi but they also have nice big screens to review on.

Fingers crossed on this one.

Reactions: HJM.NL and CarlJ
Comment

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Although I'm not an US citizen and can't participate, it's a nice offer from Macrumors. It shows they're valuing their visitors.

Thanks Macrumors for making this nice gesture :)

I wish Apple had built in an card reader in their iPad in the first place because next week I'll be on holidays and probably don't have wifi. I'll be using my iPad for storaging photos. Didn't know there was such a device around.
Again, thanks Macrumors :)

Last edited:
Reactions: baypharm and CarlJ
Comment

jtuk

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2014
Using clouds is not only expensive but painfully slow. I tend to have my iPhone memory full and it''s a pain having to take hours of your time uploading. With SD cards you can move 1000 photos in fraction of the time. Ideally iPhone and I pad should come with SD crd slot like the Samsung. A cloud is a lovely idea but a pain in practice.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

In today's digital world, I would strongly recommend that you at least consider cloud storage one more time. I understand your perspective, but hear me out. I have Everything digital and all of it is on my local drive at home. I also have a network drive at home that use to back everything up. However, if I lose my computer and network drive (theft, fire, mother nature), then what. There is a reason why all companies have offsite backups and we as individuals really need to start thinking about it. I maintain A local backup through time capsule, but I also copy everything to the cloud. There are a lot of documents and pictures that I would hate to lose and this approach gives me the peace of mind that there is no chance I will lose it unless I intentionally delete something.

Comment

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands

Like in any OS!

I don't mind you have different opinions. But you're constantly insulting people. I don't like it!

Reactions: eastmanweb
Comment

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
In today's digital world, I would strongly recommend that you at least consider cloud storage one more time. I understand your perspective, but hear me out. I have Everything digital and all of it is on my local drive at home. I also have a network drive at home that use to back everything up. However, if I lose my computer and network drive (theft, fire, mother nature), then what. There is a reason why all companies have offsite backups and we as individuals really need to start thinking about it. I maintain A local backup through time capsule, but I also copy everything to the cloud. There are a lot of documents and pictures that I would hate to lose and this approach gives me the peace of mind that there is no chance I will lose it unless I intentionally delete something.

I understand completely. I still find Cloud computing is cumbersome and constantly rely on internet connection.

I still think offline back up and have stuff locally is better. I can access anytime anywhere.

iCloud is useless when I go back to China where I have no internet access (I don't want sign up for services for merely 3 weeks, I buy prepaid SIM without data plan). I alaways perfer local than anything cloud.

Now regarding with backup. The chances of hose buring down is slim.

In case of disk failure, I do have multiple local backup. So if one disk fail, I have different disk. (RAID 10 setup).

I dislike constantly uploading and downloading. I rather just backup on computer with cable, simple and take lesser time.

But anyway. Cloud is great for most people and i understand your opinion completely

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.