Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For this week's giveaway, we've teamed up with Jackery to offer MacRumors readers a chance to win an Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station and two 100W SolarSaga Portable Solar Panels that can be used to charge it up when a power source isn't available.

jackeryexplorer1000.jpg

Combined, Jackery calls this its Solar Generator 1000 set, and it's an ideal solution for camping or emergencies because as long as the sun is out, you won't run out of power. With a 1002Wh capacity, 1000W rated power, and 2000W surge power, it is powerful enough to meet the needs of most electrical appliances.

The Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station is priced at $999, and it is Jackery's highest-capacity power station option. Jackery makes a whole range of UL-certified power stations that are available at different price points.

jackerybackuppower.jpg

There are multiple ports available for charging several devices at one time. The E1000 includes two 18W PD USB-C ports, two 12W USB-A ports, one DC carport, and three AC outlets. It works with cameras, TVs, computers, lamps, communication devices, grills, fans, and medical equipment like CPAP machines.

At 22 pounds, the Explorer 1000 is heavy, but it comes with a convenient handle to allow it to be moved around as needed. There's an LCD display on the front that features charge/discharge info and battery life details, and fans built into the device keep it from getting too warm.

With an optional solar charger, the Explorer 1000 can be recharged even when power is not available. It recharges in seven hours from an AC outlet or within eight hours using two 100W SolarSaga panels from Jackery. It can be stored, and should be charged every three to six months when used as an emergency backup solution.

jackeryexplorer10002.jpg

Jackery's 100W SolarSaga panels, available for $300, connect to the Explorer 1000 or one of Jackery's other power stations to provide power while on the go. Jackery says the solar panels have a high conversion efficiency that generates more energy and perform better in hot weather than other panels. The SolarSaga panels feature a USB-C port and a USB-A port and can also be used to charge up smaller devices.

jackery4.jpg

We have one Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station and two 100W SolarSaga Portable Solar Panels to give away to a MacRumors reader. To enter to win our giveaway, use the Gleam.io widget below and enter an email address. Email addresses will be used solely for contact purposes to reach the winners and send the prizes. You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, following us on Instagram, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page.

Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years or older and Canadian residents (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their province or territory are eligible to enter. To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section, as that is where discussion of the rules will be redirected.

Jackery Giveaway

The contest will run from today (January 1) at 5:00 a.m. Pacific Time through 11:00 a.m. Pacific Time on January 8. The winner will be chosen randomly on January 8 and will be contacted by email. The winner will have 48 hours to respond and provide a shipping address before a new winner is chosen.

Article Link: MacRumors Giveaway: Win an Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station and Solar Panels From Jackery

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
I love and use my Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 160 with a solar panel, but my needs have grown considerably since getting it…. but isn't that the way it always is. I could use a larger option for car camping, power backups for general aviation, and your run of the mill emergencies.

Reactions: SDJim

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
22 lbs is heavy ?
Well, that's relative. 22lb is light for a 25lb weight, but heavy for bucket of chicken. For this Jackery, it's probably in-line with other portable batteries of the same capacity, but it's also more compact compared to other options. If that's too heavy and offers too much power, they do make a wide range of products there lighter.

What was most surprising to me isn't how heavy batteries weigh, but how heavy the thin solar panel sheets weigh.

Digital Dude

macrumors 6502a
They certainly picked the right kind of gift for us tech-junkies. I have a similar model for jump-starting car batties. With a DC power strip, I test low-power electronics as a hobby. This thing looks fantastic. The weight of 22 pounds suggests a good solid battery. You really can't have one without the other. The heavier and denser the battery, the better the unit is. If it works as well as it looks, I would like to buy one outright. Not interested in entering the contest. They may sell your email address throughout the universe.

blodyholy

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Would be great to own....but dang, that price tag. Good on MR’s and Jackery for giving one away. I believe Linus also had one to gift (post review). This would be great to run camera equipment and lights, etc during remotes. I’m not in the market or need for this, so my generator will fill any needs I may have.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I have a similar product with lower 300Wh capacity, extremely handy for planned and unplanned power outages to keep my fiber ONT, AT&T gateway and wi-fi router running for 10+ hours. Fortunately our outages haven't been longer than that so I have yet to reach the limit of that unit. The 1000Wh available with this unit you could keep multiple phones, laptops and tablets charged up as well, even power a mini fridge.

joleat

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2017
I joined an overlanding group last year and have had a Jackery on my wish list ever since. My area experiences frequent power outages and I'd love to put my 200-pound gasoline generator away. My generator is not an inverter type, so I only use it to power lights and the fridge. The Jackery's pure sine wave will safely power my laptop, phone, etc.

Last edited:

Newbie67

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Great giveaway. Thanks macrumours. Hope to win one of these giveaways someday! 😊

ValhallaValkyr13

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
I would seriously love to win this... I would feel much better having this with as many storms as we get or have been getting... seems like the trend has increased

TVreporter

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Would love to win this and use on camping trips.

Question Macrumors @arn: Is there a page which lists contest winners? Apologies if there is, I can’t find one.

If there is not, why? You don’t have to give their real name(s) but user account names would be nice - I believe it would give a bit more validity to the contests.

Thanks as always for the giveaways.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Question Macrumors @arn: Is there a page which lists contest winners? Apologies if there is, I can’t find one.
They don't reveal the winners for privacy reasons.

I have seen several posts over the years in these threads where people mentioned they have won.

Moderator Note:

If anybody would like to discuss this further, please use the Site and Forum Feedback section.

Reactions: TVreporter

letmefly

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
HAPPY NEW 2021 YEAR EVERYONE!!!! This looks more than ideal, it looks Perfect. A solar powered Power Station would be great for camping, on the go and power outages. A special Thanks to Mac Rumors for your constant giving back and awesome content. You are my first stop when I went to find out what is really going on. Thank you.

DrKarl

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Montana
Jackery products have too many fatal flaws. Why in 2021 make a product with a non-replaceable battery? Memories of APCC UPS products from the 90's. Most UPS's now at least let you replace the battery easily. And the solar panels? They cannot be left out in the rain?! I was so tempted by their ads on social media last fall but both of these issues are non-starters. Walk away vs contributing more electronic waste to landfills.

Reactions: tomekwsrod

ronno

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2014
Needed here in CA, where they turn the power off whenever the wind blows too hard.

• Haha
Reactions: -DMN-
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.