Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So I have my MacRumors forum account for eleven years now and today I've deviced to leave. I cannot handle how negative and entitled this community has become on the whole; it's unbearable. Also, us international members have for years requested the giveaways be worldwide rather than US, but have been ignored and even our comments relative to this deleted as 'off topic'. Really? It's about respect in the end and you've lost mine MR. We all have contributed around for years. Enjoy your negative life. Get a real job, mods.

I agree with you. I've never been thanked for being a loyal contributor here. Recently, I had my wrist slapped by a moderator, and then I proceeded to exchange several messages with this moderator, apologizing for my "one word post", and then mentioning this very same concern. Even after several back-and-forth exchanges, this moderator absolutely resisted saying "thank you for being a long-time member" to me. It's all I wanted to hear. Simple, easy, but nope... they were just being the hard-nosed law enforcer. A real displeasing experience. I successfully removed MacDailyNews from my life, and I can do the same with MacRumors if this type of experience happens again.

Enjoy your free give-aways, US residents! You're more worthy than the rest of us.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Does any other comparable site run international giveaways? It's just too complicated legally for us to run them in multiple countries.

Even Engadget, who is owned by AOL and had their terms written up as "AOL Tech Giveaways", limits their giveaways to U.S./Canada. http://www.engadget.com/official-giveaways-rules/ -

arn

Arn,

So do as people are suggesting, and include "US Giveaway" in the title so the rest of us can skip the article entirely. Why should MacRumors benefit from ad impressions from those of us internationally when the content is not applicable to us? Do the right thing, and problem solved.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Arn,

So do as people are suggesting, and include "US Giveaway" in the title so the rest of us can skip the article entirely. Why should MacRumors benefit from ad impressions from those of us internationally when the content is not applicable to us? Do the right thing, and problem solved.
Isn't the simple fact that it's a giveaway already an indicator of that given that unless something changes--which would more than likely be communicated--the giveaways are US-only?

Kynmore

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
us international members have for years requested the giveaways be worldwide rather than US, but have been ignored and even our comments relative to this deleted as 'off topic'.

Enjoy your free give-aways, US residents! You're more worthy than the rest of us.

Just a few examples as to why you hardly ever see International Giveaways anymore.
http://www.mardenkane.com/articles/international-sweepstakes-contest-laws-may-cause-problems.html

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Just a few examples as to why you hardly ever see International Giveaways anymore.
http://www.mardenkane.com/articles/international-sweepstakes-contest-laws-may-cause-problems.html

I actually see them quite often on many many other websites, just never on here.

As I have said before I would have no problem with this if the rule for US entrants only was either posted in the title or at the top of the article rather than below the fold.

It is futile to express opinions on this here as all posts in this regard either get deleted or quietly moved to the thread on the matter which no-one takes any notice of. This post will soon join them I am sure.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Hoegy

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2016
Can we enter if we have a US shipping address? I live in Canada but have an address in the states as well

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Considering how many people keep on doing that, and often enough knowingly on purpose it would seem...

I've commented on (complained about) this a few times now. What is annoying to those of us outside the US is that articles are posted by these sites without indicating geographic relevance. That comes across as Americans thinking that they are the center of the Universe, sadly. They earn revenue from international customers, and very likely set up strategic geographic SEO campaigns to maximize that profit around the globe, and yet don't extend courtesy to non-US visitors about the relevance of an article. It's a very simple thing to do, but they know it would hurt their page views. I'm okay with a giveaway being US-only, just say it is in the headline, simple solution.

Reactions: Äpfelchen

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've commented on (complained about) this a few times now. What is annoying to those of us outside the US is that articles are posted by these sites without indicating geographic relevance. That comes across as Americans thinking that they are the center of the Universe, sadly. They earn revenue from international customers, and very likely set up strategic geographic SEO campaigns to maximize that profit around the globe, and yet don't extend courtesy to non-US visitors about the relevance of an article. It's a very simple thing to do, but they know it would hurt their page views. I'm okay with a giveaway being US-only, just say it is in the headline, simple solution.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...o-u-s-residents.1918337/page-10#post-24268811

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
What proportion of people that are interested in these giveaways do NOT live in the U.S.? This getting ridiculous beyond belief.

TheHammer

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2017
Stop being slack open this up world wide. Or do you not give a crap about your readers from overseas?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Stop being slack open this up world wide. Or do you not give a crap about your readers from overseas?
Is reading hard for you? I guess you feel this free site should have a legal staff that is well versed in the contest rules and customs laws in 180 or so countries.

Reactions: Plutonius

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
"Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter."

The complexities are ruining everything :(

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
AndroidAuthority can do international giveaways, why can't MR manage it? Unless MR is accusing AA of not adhering to the law?

Reactions: Avieshek

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
AndroidAuthority can do international giveaways, why can't MR manage it? Unless MR is accusing AA of not adhering to the law?

Due to complexities of your question it is very unlikely they have found an answer yet. Perhaps they're either incompetent or lazy.

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
It's a giveaway. Jesus. Stop attacking MacRumors. Do you pay them for what they give you? I know it's a crazy idea, but what if they have a legitimate reason for not doing it internationally? What if Android Authority is run differently? Whaaaaaaa?¿?¿
[doublepost=1488606796][/doublepost]
It might shocking to know that some people have interest in more than one brand/ecosystem.
Indeed. It's unimaginable.
[doublepost=1488606831][/doublepost]
Android Authority we don't care about as this site is about Apple.
Why do Android users hang around here.
Lack of ignorance maybe? Education? Having more smarts in the brain?

Last edited:
Reactions: Plutonius

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Android Authority we don't care about as this site is about Apple.
Why do Android users hang around here.
One look at my forum signature reveals quite clearly I am not an Android user. AndroidAuthority is a website that is similar in nature to MacRumors, that's why i used the comparison. It's an online technology website and community, with users from all over the world, who conduct giveaways frequently. And are capable of sending to anywhere in the world.

(Pro tip: what you do is you walk to your nearest postal service, you say 'I'd like to send this package to XYZ country please' and then they just do it. Isn't that magic.)
[doublepost=1488614928][/doublepost]
Well, that is one of the more bizarre statements I've seen someone manage to pull out of their... hat ... in quite a while.
Is it though? The excuse we are given all the time is that the 'complexities of International Law' is preventing MacRumors from doing international giveaways. Ergo, if Android Authority, a site similar in nature to Mac Rumors, can do it - are they not abiding by the law?

It's quite simple to do an international giveaway, I described how to do it earlier in this post, and I have done it myself a few times. Whether I was doing it legally or not - who knows? I suppose MacRumors is saying 'we're a big website so we don't want to get attacked for breaking international giveaway laws' - in which case they are implying that Android Authority are doing so. There is nothing that AA are doing that makes them comply with law any more than Mac Rumors. Have a look at their giveaway site - it doesn't contain anything that would have the effect of complying more with international giveaway laws. The implication is obvious.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
"only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter"

Of course... as always.

have fun everybody, i totally don't feel excluded like every month.

[edit] My post was moved, I didn't reply to this thread. My apologies if this triggered an email notification to some of you. That said, I glance over the give-away because I want to know first if I am even eligible. I am not going to waste my time reading the whole thread in detail just to see that I wasted it. I see the same old same old and feel excluded. If the post at any post mentioned that we can't post our feedback in there (I guess MR is familiar with the topic of excluding their international audience in sponsored give-aways) then sorry, but so be it. But whatever, its your site, they are your rules. I can feel how I feel though, moderating my contribution to the site doesn't change that feeling, it only makes you look better to your sponsors I guess if there's no 'feedback' from your international audience that feels excluded. The argument of legal complexities is a bit moot in my opinion. There are states like NY and Florida where sweepstakes are considered a lottery, and it's why they are usually excluded. Those complexities aren't considered here I see. If any give-away here is over $600 do you guys collect the SSN of the US resident winner as well? I think that's mandatory in many US states, and there's also http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/39/usc_sup_01_39_10_IV_20_30.html etc. .. enough to be confusing for the site's owned company as well as the users. International give-aways are usually considered sweepstakes and that's fine. Just limit to countries the US has a treaty with. Okay, that's the end of my edit. It doesn't matter anyway, my opinion. But eh, it's a public forum.

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
"To offer feedback or get more information on the giveaway restrictions, please refer to our Site Feedback section--this is [the black hole] where discussion of the rules will be redirected summarily ignored by anyone with the power to make any kind of difference in the way giveaways are run so as to be more inclusive to the whole of the readership."

Fixed that for ya.

Msivyparrot

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
South Africa
It is not so much that macrumors don't want to give stuff away, it is the importing at the end that is the problem, the value would cause huge tax problems for the winner, customs at the receiving end don't give a flying apple about how the product was obtained, they only care about the value, and you may be taxed on this, and if you refuse to pay the import duties, macrumors would be on the hook for the cost of shipping to the winner and a reshipping fee if the product is refused.

Customs can be very hit and miss.. I imported a book and was hit with a huge import, yet the keyboard, cost twice what the book did, sailed through... Yet the book was a gift, "Sorry..the book is valued at x.."

I follow forums, I follow many things tech, and the quantity of stuff in the USA is amazing, yet about less than 0.01% of those products make it here to be sold.

The other problem apart from legal, or maybe it is legal, is will it be compatible with the local electrical system, local radio wave standards, and if not, it will not be allowed to be imported, or you are forced to pay an extra tax that will be refunded if you make the changes, and really who can afford that.

I would love to win, no question, but I cannot afford to pay the import duties, which may as well cost the same as buying it legally from a reseller.

The point of customs is to protect the local economy, and a way to do this, is to discourage residents from buying abroad, after all local resellers have invested time and money into their business...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.