MacRumors Giveaways... Why are they only open to U.S. residents?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Fabian90, Sep 18, 2015.

1. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Customs and electrics, two very good points! Touché.

Cheers

2. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

They get thousands of entries for each give away so it's very doubtful you would win anything anyways :).

3. RakEgg, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

RakEgg macrumors newbie

RakEgg

When will you idiot people at Macrumors recognise that there is a whole lot of us who give you some respect and read your site. AND NO WE ARE NOT ALL in the US of A.

So get with the program or bugger off. We do not all speak with a yank accent.

So show us some respect in return, you know the stuff that Aretha used to sing about R E S P E C T !

4. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

No you haven't. What you've done is this:

As other MacRumors readers have pointed out before, it would be much better to communicate this distinction at the beginning of your articles, rather than at the end.

5. FatherJack1980, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

*sigh*

I don't know why I clicked this, I really don't. I'm constantly let down on all sites in all competitions

I would love it if the headline, in all contests on all webpages (not just on Macrumors) would state at the end "Only for US residents"

EDIT: My post was moved here; from a topic that included a competition ...however, would have loved to have seen in the bloody title "(for USA residents only)" - it's not that difficult to include that in the topic titles when it's a competition/giveaway/raffle etc

6. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

No you haven't.

You have offered MacRumors readers in the U.S. a chance to win.

How many more times must increasingly alienated readers ask you state this at the beginning of your posts before you actually take notice?

7. Kynmore macrumors member

Kynmore

Any contest/giveaway/sweepstakes, globally and regardless of country of origin, has rules and regulations. And they put them there in the details, or link to them. These disclaimers are required by law. It's not some kind of trick to get you to sign up so they can pull the rug out from underneath you if you win.

I mean, do you sign contracts without reading them?

8. FatherJack1980, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017

FatherJack1980 macrumors regular

FatherJack1980

As I stated in my edit; it's not difficult to include in the title "For US residents only"; if other websites can do it then so can Macrumors (well, hopefully in the future ...some day, or at least this century).

And just to clarify even further - I thought it would be an international competition, since most of the sites I frequent include if there are any geo-restrictions in the topic title; so people outside of that area don't have to bother clicking; and so, even though initially thinking it would be an international competition, I read the whole text ...so yeah, I do of course read contracts before signing them - only dumb people don't do that *facepalm that you even asked such a dumb question*

9. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Once more unto the breach, dear MacHeads, once more...

http://www.mardenkane.com/articles/international-sweepstakes-contest-laws-may-cause-problems.html

If you think that sweepstakes laws can be confusing and expensive to adhere to in the US, wait till you check out these unique laws in other countries. [ excerpt ]

Canada: When running a promotion in Quebec all materials must be available in English AND French. This includes rules, promotional ads, posters, entry forms, web sites, etc. And when you run a sweeps all winners must pass a basic skill test (usually a math problem) to claim their prize. See our previous blog post for more information on this.

Mexico: In Mexico, any prize exceeding approximately US$5,000 has to be delivered in the presence of the Mexican authorities.

Brazil: In Brazil, you can’t award cash as a prize. UPDATE AUGUST 2015: Brazil recently revised their position on contests. Contests/promotions are now prohibited unless permission is obtained from the Ministry of Finance in Brazil and there is not a standard practice for submitting promotions for potential approval at this time. Please contact us if you have an interest in running a promotion in Brazil.

10. Ap0ks macrumors 6502

Seems beyond crazy that a prize from a UK company (Feral Interactive) can't be won by UK readers :(

It's not like the UK sweepstake rules are that complicated, as long as it's free to enter it's all good (for virtual products at least, physical I assume would require the sponsor to pay any import fees to keep it a free-entry sweepstake).

11. nnoble macrumors 6502

Lucky you. Be happy.

12. NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

"Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter"

The law is not very complex in Western Europe... you're to lazy to figure that out!

13. tms0028 macrumors newbie

Still wondering if MacRumors can add the email address that they contact winners at in the giveaway article so that, if we do get contacted, the email doesn't accidentally get sent to Junk or Spam? That would probably be really helpful

14. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Wow! I had no idea about complicated the international laws are... these are nuts:

Mexico: In Mexico, any prize exceeding approximately US$5,000 has to be delivered in the presence of the Mexican authorities.

Sweden: In Sweden, all games of chance (sweepstakes and instant wins) are banned.

That's insane. Thank you for sharing.

15. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Is there any chance that the giveaways will exapand to Europe?

16. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

17. Kes.Siebring macrumors member

Kes.Siebring

You should just hide giveaways based on geo ip info.

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Excellant suggestion if they are technically able to do it.

19. thasan macrumors 6502a

I think it is not difficult for them to implement it. i am sick of the US giveaways :(

20. LaraCroft835 macrumors member

LaraCroft835

from 9to5Mac Readers outside the US: We love you (too!!) and most of our partners and giveaways will be offered worldwide unless otherwise stated.

21. grad macrumors regular

Sure, U.S. is cool and simple, it's just that the other 19x countries are complicated. Or ...

22. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

No you haven't. Again.

Instead, again, you have "teamed up with <insert name here> to offer MacRumors readers in the US a chance to win"

If you're going to continue with the silly excuses for not actually offering the chance to all readers, why not finally start being up front about this, rather than initially claiming to offer the chance to all readers, only to bury the exclusion further down the article?

Every time you post the same nonsense, you alienate non-US readers even more than you already have done.

23. cristianvaldez macrumors newbie

What about people who lives outside US but has P.O. Box? Im signed to a company were everytime I bought something in Amazon for example, i receive the package in Miami on a personal PO Box, then they deliver that package to me at a very low cost!

24. RIB7876 macrumors newbie

RIB7876

So why you have page that people in UK or other country can view. Regardless of the law you should arrange something in UK so the people of UK can benefit from it as well. Or you do not make enough money from this site to do that. What a shame that is. I am sure there are other means to view the news on the net. You are not the only one.

25. philip456 macrumors newbie

philip456

As annoyingly usual for the US only.

I like macroumours but everytime this happens I consider un-bookmarking it and moving to one of the competitors.