Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Recently I've noticed that MR's RSS newsfeed has started pushing some (not all) news items that contain the headline of a story followed by the highlighted forum posts for that article, but not the actual article text itself. This makes MR's RSS feed look very strange, as the articles read like a bunch of snarky forum comments.

Because that's what they are, literally. This is not a great look.

I'd prefer to read the actual article in my newsreader. Can someone look into fixing this?

Attachments

• 7A2B87C5-C8BF-4D04-83E3-694A02E8E5F5.jpeg
    7A2B87C5-C8BF-4D04-83E3-694A02E8E5F5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 410

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
What app is that?

Yours is the second report we've received about this, both using the same app. We haven't changed anything on our end and the RSS feeds themselves look fine, so I'm not sure why your app is pulling comments from the page instead of article text from the feed.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
This is lire (with an L) for iPad, and I'm using Feedbin as my RSS aggregator. I've been using this combo for a long time but these problems have started appearing in MR's feed (no others) in only the past month or so.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Okay, so it looks like lire is doing something improperly. They're doing some "magic" as they call it to pull in full-text articles based on RSS subscriptions. Our feeds are already full-text, so there's no need for any magic, but whatever they're doing on their end is pulling in the wrong content from our pages.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Nice catch!

I delved into lire's options and disabled what they call "Full text view" for MR, and the article I posted a screenshot from appeared properly. This must be a bug introduced in a recent update to the app, as that setting's been enabled for all sites I follow for as long as I can remember.

Thank you for your assistance!

Reactions: WildCowboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.