MacRumors Official Nike+ July Challenges

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ziwi, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

July Challenges are set! Good running in June. We need more folks!

Twood tallies up 30 miles on the last day in 7 hours to take the win by just enough - he should have went for .1 over desmonator - great month to both 243.35 to 242.95. Rickvanr also set another personal best month with 160.44 to come in 4th place. Good stuff. Rick is leading the July challenge as well at the moment.

The 1 mile, 5k and 10k are set for best time by end of August.

Added a 50 miles in 2 months for those with a need for a smaller goal. I have to be in but I will remove folks at my discretion ;)

These following challenges are still open to anyone:
    100 miles by end of 2007
    250 miles by end of 2007
    500 miles by end of 2007

Any ideas for additional motivation let me know.

As always if anyone is interested in joining up to any challenge please put it in the thread or PM me with what you would like to join and your nike+ id. I try to carry over all the id's from one month to the next - if one drops out here or there it was not intentional - typo's happen.

See everyone out there running.

2. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

What is to stop someone from just walking around with the plus on their shoe? Is there a minimum speed requirement?

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

nothing is stopping you in the distance challenge. good luck walking 200 miles in a month though ;)

ziwi, thanks again for all you've done in these challenges. keep up the good work, and let me know if you need any help :)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks for the thread, ziwi! :) Ugh, ugly weather here, and I'm sadly on the night of the third day of the month with only three miles.... :(

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well I'm back running - haven't really run anything since February. No injury, just no time.

I ran 2 miles today and then tried to log on to nike+ and I can't seem to connect. Anyone else with any issues?

D

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

Mr. Anderson! long time no see :)

glad to see you're back running. i uploaded earlier today, and it was fine. but when i tried to change my profile, it seemed to mess up some. and the site is really slow also

7. Bogie macrumors regular

Yeah I do some walking and jogging with mine, but I never cheat. The reason I walk is because I'm trying to get my chocolate lab in good enough shape to run with me. He's a Georgia dog and he's not used to the higher altitude in Colorado.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

nothing wrong with that :p

9. ziwi thread starter macrumors 65816

ziwi

iPod is dead - lost 4.5 miles on it - it won't turn on or anything. If I had to guess it died of a vapor lock or sweat getting in it somehow. Last few runs it decided when I was done - the receiver stopped being recognized. Did the reset and restore after that, but today it did it again and then decided not to work - no icon no nothing...not quite 2 years old and a replacement was in there as well about 9 months ago...hmm. I will give it a few days - Ican use my wife's in the mean time, but I don't want to kill that one too...

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that stinks. i've had a lot of problems with mine also. luckily my girlfriend will be getting a new mac later this summer, and i'm gonna get the free ipod :D

lately i've been using my brother's 2nd generation, and it works a lot better with nike+

11. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I bet nike+ was slow because the July 4th 10k's and what have you, so everyone was probably uploading runs.

I'm on the list now, I'll tell you how life in the bottom is. :p

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

probably was. but it's fine now though

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Somehow still in first. It won't last.

I'm competing in my first Duathlon on Sunday. So this week trying to pick up some speed which means shorter runs and bike work out. Next week is my last week on Canadian soil. Going on a little vacation. I'm going to try and run a few times a week when I'm abroad, but I won't be able to compete seriously in a full month until September.

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you never know :)

I'm on vacation this week. I'm still running, but I don't get wifi in my hotel, so its hard to upload ( I'm on my iphone right now)

Good luck on your race!

15. Bogie macrumors regular

Well, looks like I'll be out of it for a bit. I took a bad step yesterday and sprained my ankle. I guess this means more time with the weights and less time on the track.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Awww, man! :( Get well soon!

17. Bogie macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be good soon enough. I guess this gives me some extra time to get caught up on my reading.

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon

19. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Successful in my first duathlon attempt :)

I've felt sore after a run, and I've been out of breath after a run, but I don't think I've ever been as exhausted as I was this morning. It was a wildly good feeling. 1st in my category, 2nd in my age group, and 8th overall. 1:10:59.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats! :)

how far was it?

21. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I walk 300-plus miles a month using my Nike+ iPod kit. Every morning I go for a 12-mile walk. Helps keep my 42-year-old body in shape...

Luck has nothing to do with it. :D

Anyway, how do we get invited to this challenge? I'd love to participate.

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

honestly, i'll believe that when i see it. sorry, but walking 12 miles a day isn't ordinary. and it would take at least 3 hours to do that realistically

you can send ziwi a PM to get invited, or maybe he'll see this post and add you. he will need either your nike+ id or your email address

23. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I walk at a pace of 4.5 miles an hour, so yes, it does take me about 3 hours a day. I start at 5:30 a.m. and end around 8:30 a.m.

I assure you, it is very realistic. :)

I'm consistently in the Top 10 for my sex (male) and age group (40-44) on the Nike+ website's weekly leaderboard (distance and duration categories -- I'm not setting any speed records here!).

My Nike+ ID is mangaman. Speaking of which, I really like your avatar. As the president of a publishing company that specializes in Engish-language, Japanese comic-themed educational materials, it always makes me happy when I see Japanese anime and manga artwork being used outside the usual fan forums.

Cheers!

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

very interesting. i believe you walk a lot, but 300 miles a month!? why would you do that? why not jog, or run?

i'm also in the top of my age group. how many total miles do you have?

i'm glad you like my avatar. you are the first to comment on it. i went through a stage where i watched every DBZ episode. i never got around to watching all the DBGT ones, mainly b/c they are hard to find.

25. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I'm just shy of 1,300 total miles. I've been using the kit since the beginning of the year. I started the year doing 3 miles a day, and worked up to 12 miles a day back in May.

I used to jog, but sustained a knee injury that kept me off the trails for several months. When I returned, I decided to stick with power-walking. I get the same health benefits with less strain on my knees.

Of course, if I was in my 20s rather than my 40s, I'd probably return to jogging!