Macrumors page loading errors

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Aug 11, 2015.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Alright, MODS i know this isnt PPC, but the guys in this forum are most helpful in my opinion, as when i post in "macbook" most answers i get is to upgrade to Lion, or a new Mac.

IT seems since the forum update, my macbook 3,1 running the latest Firefox, and snow leopard has issues with the forum. Certain pages take FOREVER to load and often error out to page not found. My Desktop PC (windows 7) and the bootcamp on this mac running the New windows 10 doesnt have that issue. So what is it? its like Macrumors times out on me constantly and i end up restarting the browser.

I had to restart the broswer to even post this. And i know its not my connect other PCs are fine

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Are you using the same Firefox profile in OS X as you are in Windows?

I ask because maybe there is a setting change you've made in OS X that is different than in Windows.

3. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

The OP isn't alone, seems to be the "Quick Reply", "Similar Threads" or ads seem to do a spaghetti code glitch/stall with not just Firefox/TFF but it happens with Chrome and you're stuck clearing the cache.

On another site I admin, when we flipped from Wordpress comments to a forum plug-in based comments there were some weird bugs which would randomly halt certain browsers--only common trend is "Similar Threads" layout on MR could be related if it is based on a dynamic keyword scripting.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

not sure why it would end up being "page not found". Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Is is possible that something like this is a result of having the Rich Text Editor on?

The RTE is javascript and on older PowerPC Macs is just hits Firefox/TenFourFox hard. I know OP is using an MBP and thus Firefox, but perhaps this is contributing - assuming it's on.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Very possible. Go here to turn it off: http://forums.macrumors.com/account/preferences

7. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

So i turned off rich text editor and yet im still having issues. Now i didnt take a screen shot but i will next time but i noticed my stop lights where missing from the top of the tab... and i was in the PPC forum page but could open a thread. Ive tried since to recreate the error page but so far cannot.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I encountered this issue as well on my late 2008 MacBook Air running Snow Leopard, every time I exited fullscreen mode (a fullscreen YouTube video for example) the buttons would disappear until Firefox is restarted. Looks to have been patched in the latest update.

9. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

On MR the text editor doesn't always halt pages on a MBP/PC but I've gotten "blank pages/errors" with or without it enabled. On a website I manage we disabled RTE as it put unnecessary load on our server so it was downgraded to a simple posting yet under "testing" stuff like "Similar Threads" & "word tags" generation seems to randomly halt/bog browsers down loading such scripting(processor load rises as much when any site has "Outbrain.com" linked content).

For web compatibility testing, system/OSes used:
    12" PowerBook G4: Tiger(TFF)/Lubuntu(Firefox) (have a FW400 HDD w/Leopard for testing reasons)
    Thinkpad T61: WinXP, Vista & Windows 8.1
    2010 MBP: Snow Leopard, Mavericks & Yosemite/Boot Camp- Windows 7
    HP Chromebook Haswell Celeron 2955U/4GB/T-Mobile 4G

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is interesting. I'm curious as to what may be going on because I'm not experiencing any of this either on my PowerBook, PowerMac or my MBP.