Macrumors, please add this:

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by megapopular, Oct 29, 2011.

?

iPhone one speaker confirmation for new forum members!

Poll closed Nov 23, 2011.
  1. Macrumors should add it.

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Macrumors shouldn't add it.

23 vote(s)
    60.5%
  3. Making fun of people is entertaining, so leave it as is!

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

All new users to Macrumors forums should get an overlay graphic showing that the iPhone has only ONE SPEAKER and a double confirmation with yet another graphic overlay. This way we don't have to keep answering or ridiculing people so much about the "do I have a broken speaker?" threads.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I'll go first then.

I voted no because there are many things that people don't know about the iPhone that results in many duplicate threads. An example of this is the camera button on the lock screen. Many threads have been created asking how to access this, many of which have been merged into one thread that has been sticked, yet people still create new threads asking about this. Why not create an overlay graphic explaining this, too? I personally feel there are just too many things out there that are yet-to-be-discovered for new users that creating such an overlay graphic isolating just one wouldn't make sense.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are numerous repetitive questions on MR
    This is just one of many, a minor one at that, and doesn't deserve it's own unique solution

4. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

But...

I understand the stickied topics and all but the camera button from lock screen is new to ios 5, and yes it may be a question from people for years to come but the speaker issue seems to get people the most ridicule and abuse, you know it, I know it. It's sad that it's that way but I disagree with your example because the camera from the lock screen is a new "issue" and if you were to track it for the next 5 years it will probably not get nearly the same level of ridicule that the speaker question gets.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Agreed that it's a new "issue" and perhaps not the best example but adding an overlay graphic exclusive to the iPhone for all new registered users on a forum not exclusive to the iPhone doesn't quite make sense in my mind.

6. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well said!

I agree since it's not just an iPhone forum. Thanks for the solid input!!

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Nope, there are greater things to worry about in life than this

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not needed, We're a discussion forum so asking questions even repetitive questions is not out of line.

9. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never said it was out of line, lol!!

10. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Could we just ask Apple to add a 2nd speaker instead?

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Hahahaha :p

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah I asked about the speaker thing because I have yet to successfully do a search from the Tapatalk app on anything. If Macrumors would fix this it would cut down on all the duplicate questions.

And I say Macrumors because the error message says to email the admin. But even if it's not up to them to fix it they can try to work with the dev to get it resolved.

13. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Maybe there's a general problem with the strings you're using with the app. Or maybe the app is lacking some feature that could improve its filtering. Have you ever asked for users experienced with that app how they make effective searches? In any case, I can't quite imagine how the existence of a one-time popup would have any noticeable impact whatsoever on the behavior of the app.

If MR did implement your suggestion, the questions themselves could float a whole new raft of questions in the iPhone forums: "Why did I get this $#!! pop-up question?" "That message wasn't really true: my iPhone does have two speakers." Other users would just ignore/forget the popup. Some might demand that MR start having popups for their pet issue. What about when posters start a new thread with an excessively vague topic? If thread-starters always used the perfect thread topic, then all searches would be dramatically improved!

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear enough. The error message says '"unexpected error occurred " and shows me the email address to the forum admin. I have searched many different forums so I'm confident in my search abilities :)

It seems there's a problem with search on Tapatalk. Of course it could be the app or the forum software, vBulletin .

BTW I don't think the idea the OP suggests is good either.

15. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Apologies. I had failed to read your earlier message clearly.

I searched on the tapatalk.com forums for "macrumors" and found this thread. The admin in that forum noted:

It sounds like there's some sort of vbulletin plugin for tapatalk, and that MR doesn't have the current version of that plugin. I'm guessing that Dr. Q or one of the other admins knows something about that.

HTH.

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Considering the popularity of this forum, vBulliten, Tapatalk and mobile platforms, I would have thought that the forum owners would fix/upgrade so we as users have the best possible experience. Not to mention how it would drastically reduce the number of duplicate threads, which in turn makes for a more efficient site.

17. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

The admins may not have known about the issue. Or maybe the tapatalk plugin requires running the latest-and-greatest version of vbulletin. In any case, this is the right place to note the issue; someone should respond.

Even if the plugin can be updated, I am skeptical that there will be any noticeable impact on the number of duplicate threads.

18. Love, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

Love macrumors 68000

Love

I like making fun of people.

In all seriousness, I think our current system is fine - leave it the way it is.

19. phySi0 macrumors member

This is ridiculous! People should check whether something has been asked already, we shouldn't have to cater to them. I voted no!

20. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

As I said in earlier comment, the search function needs to be fixed before you can expect anyone to check if something has been posted already. Otherwise it's nearly impossible on a forum this large.

21. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Macrumors please don't add this:

(Fixed it for you);)

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife