MacRumors seems to be growing up

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by TheSideshow, Aug 18, 2011.

1. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

Its refreshing to see the majority of people in the news article discussions being pretty level headed and fair against competing companies. I think the Windows 8 thread was a great example of this. Though obviously there are still a few idiots that are the same as always (as well as the 3-4 individuals that will never change). A few months ago, level-headedness was composed of just a few who would be ridiculed for saying any thing not pro-Apple. Maybe there are the same amounts of each, but now more are willing to point out fallacies, FUD and lies spewed by the few. I dont know.

Anyone else notice a difference lately?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Surely it has something to do with the new mods. ;)

Kidding... and don't call me Surely.

B

3. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Are we on the same message board? There's still a ton of bias here whenever anything Apple related is brought up. It's expected obviously but I'll never get why people care about defending a brand so hard that they have nothing invested in same goes for android fans, or anyone

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

They should kill the rating system; as it serves no purpose except piss people off to recognize others who abuse it.

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I agree, I've never understood what the rating system is meant to achieve.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It's meant to visually reflect people's opinion regarding the post posted, I find it enjoyable :)

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Rating system should go. Vote this post up if you agree with me.

Wait, wut.... ?

MR has changed since I joined a few years ago. Back in the day, there were some members who were a lot of fun who posted more in the general convo section (in here).. they've quieted down a bit, but we've gained some new ones who also make it fun. Just not like it was. Wait, maybe that's because I was a demi for a bit and now I'm not. People are much more chatty when you're a demi. :p

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's meant to stop the many threads asking for a rating system. I don't really like it.

9. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

10. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I wrote in that thread saying windows 8 looks like a piece of **** :D

If it makes any difference i think Lion does too and no, i haven't used either.

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I agree, this site's thousands and thousands of members have really grown up since April. :rolleyes:

12. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

There is definitely less clutter on the iPhone and iPad forums.

I don't think that you'll ever get rid of the Apple zealot, though.... honestly, that is the kind of customer that Apples corporate culture fosters made worse by the advent of the internet message board.

13. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It's changed a bit since I've joined too. ;) I have to say I think there has been some really good computer/OS X coverage lately. Right before WWDC there a tons of great threads / rumors to read.

I think the progression of MR has been a good one, the mods do a very good job.

15. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

I think what could be a lot of fun that most of the forums have is an "General" thread where users can go and talk about whatever the heck they want. USually they get hundreds of thousands of posts in them, because users just go in and shoot the ****. I feel like it could relax the pants in a bunch atmosphere this forum has :p

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Except it's being abused. You can make a completely factual post with evidence provided, but if enough people think you just made a jab at Apple, you'll be ranked -40 in no time.

It's become a popularity contest more than anything. It doesn't denote quality or lack thereof of a post, it only denotes the mob mentality. Positive means you've posted to please the mob, negative means you've angered the mob.

All it serves is to promote people making sheepish responses to get positive votes. Just go with the crowd and the flow and don't mind the facts too much.

17. (marc), Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

(marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I think the rating system's actually fine on MR. Nothing like on YouTube, where it has gotten completely out of control.

18. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

This.

Voted you down just to prove your point :D
    I 100% agree, but as I see it, you are already at a -2 before mine.
    You sir, have angered the MOB.

No idea why there is a rating system at all, useless.

19. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I negative voted you just to prove you wrong. :p

20. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

^Just evened it out. :p

It seems you're referring more to the people on MR, not MR itself. At least that's what I gathered.

21. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

But honestly, does it bother you that much if you get downvoted? Disagree - sure, downvote it all you want. I'd prefer responses since it's less passive-aggressive, but unless it were consistently happening to all my posts, I wouldn't care. If it were consistent, I'd reconsider my posting style more than my content...

Just my two cents...

22. TSE macrumors 68030

From what I've seen, this is incredibly true. People like LTD are really bringing, fair, unbiased, and honest critiques to the consumer technology of this world.

:D

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I like the rating system.

24. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

No, I don't care. If I did, I'd cater to the mob for approval points. But if I post something objective with tons of evidence, at least have the decency to rebuke if you don't "agree" or have evidence to the contrary. Negative voting is the coward's way of doing it.

That's just disrespectful in my opinion.

25. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

It's funny because as I was reading your post I had your text at about the bottom of my screen and I already knew you were going to have a negative rating.