MacRumors Survey: What's your GMT?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Huntn, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

[​IMG]
    I was going to post as, and would have preferred an anonymous poll, but alas the forum software allows no more than 10 choices and there are 25 time zones, I think, including GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) the standard time. So if you answer, I'll compile in first post! Give me a GMT number + or -. For example I live in the U.S. Central Time Zone (Texas), GMT -6 and spent 3 years in +10 (Guam) during my USN days. :) Note how some of the zones vary with national borders.

Note:
    1) While acknowledging there are seasonal differences, please use the map reference for consistency.
    2) If I see location in your profile, deduce, or you mention it, I'll include that at the bottom in a non-personalized list, but if you live someplace exotic, please mention, but that's not required. ;)

Results:
    +12
    +11
    +10
    +9
    +8
    +7
    +6
    +5
    +4
    +3
    +2:
    +1: 1
    GMT: 3
    -5:
    -6: 2
    -7: 1
    -8: 1
    -10:

Doesn't Know where they are at: :)
    -31:
    1 (Chown)

Locations Mentioned or Noticed: California, Colorado, Denmark, Georgia, Hawaii, Michigan, Texas, U.K.

Total respondents: 14

Updated through post no. 28.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Add another one to the US Central (-6) time zone.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

At the moment I am on BST - British Summer Time - which is GMT + 1.

For much of the past seven years, I was in the Caucasus, (GMT + 3 in summer, a bizarre GMT + 4 in winter), or in central Asia, which had a myriad of curious time zones (one place I worked was GMT + 3 and a half).

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If we're going by the map, I'm GMT +/- 0, though we're on Summer time right now, so technically it's GMT +1.

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I'm in Georgia, Eastern Daylight Time GMT -4. In November, I'll fall back to Eastern Standard, GMT -5.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am fascinated by how time is measured and named, and I love maps, so lovely post. Not sure whether any of you chaps have ever laid eyes on the Geochron map/timepiece……suffice to say, one of these lies in my future...

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Yes, I'm that slow.

I won't even realize I've written this until later on this weekend.

9. Huntn, Jul 25, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I realize there are seasonal variances so if you don't mind, as I'm using the time zone map as reference, I'll put you both down as GMT.

I've seen this before and at only $1895, a bargain! :)

And for consistency, I'll put you down as -5.

Does Hawaii use Daylight Savings time? In other words does the time fall back in the Winter? As your answer aligns with the map, I'm just curious. Thanks.

10. Scepticalscribe, Jul 25, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, alas, I won't quite say that it is 'a bargain', - because it is not - but I think it is beautifully made, and I love the idea of how they work. Anyway, I have been admiring them for quite some time (pun intended). At some stage, I intend to treat myself to one of them.

Re zones, GMT works perfectly well as a label, seasonal variations notwithstanding.

During the First World War Daylight Saving was initially introduced - and, later, during the Second World War, BST varied by up to two hours from normal winter time.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I grew up thinking it was to give the farmers and children going to school, more daylight in the early morning hours. I just had to research this and found::)

History of Daylight Saving Time - DST
    Trivia:
    *The Romans used it.
    *1784: American inventor and politician Benjamin Franklin wrote an essay called “An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light” to the editor of The Journal of Paris in 1784.
    *1895: New Zealand entomologist George Vernon Hudson. In 1895, Hudson presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society, proposing a two-hour shift forward in October and a two-hour shift back in March.
    *1905: Independently from Hudson, British builder William Willett proposed the introduction of DST in 1905. He suggested setting the clocks ahead 20 minutes on each of the four Sundays in April, and switching them back by the same amount on each of the four Sundays in September, a total of eight DST switches per year.
    *1906: Germany was the first country to implement DST. Clocks there were first turned forward at 11:00 p.m. (23:00) on April 30, 1916.
    *1918: In the U.S., Daylight Saving Time – or “fast time”, as it was called then – was first introduced in 1918 when President Woodrow Wilson signed it into law to support the war effort during World War I.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm in GMT -5.

BTW, I hate DST. I wish it were never invented.

13. Scepticalscribe, Jul 25, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It was during the period of the Second World War when there was a drastic two hour difference between GMT and summer time - so that summer time was actually GMT + 2, and the 'winter time' was the standard summer time (GMT +1); that became the norm for the duration of the war, although BST (GMT + 1) had originally been introduced during the First World War as a temporary wartime measure.

Another temporary wartime measure introduced at the same time - in the middle of the First World War - was the licensing of pub opening hours. Extraordinary.

After the fall of the USSR, a number of the former Soviet Republics (the Baltic states, for example) set their time to CET (Central European Time), rather than Moscow time.

Fascinating data.

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What exactly is 'DST'?

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Daylight Savings Time. Where we have to move ahead an hour in the Spring and go back an hour in the Autumn, to maximize our daylight hours for the schools and workplace.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Is it the springing and the falling? I always appreciated the extra hour of sleep, but rued losing it. :):)

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

heh, both! I just wish we'd leave it be as it is.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I need to do a poll for farmers and kids (in school). ;)

20. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Of course; (face palm). 'Daylight saving'. Mea culpa. This is because I had erroneously thought that it was one of those bizarre US time zones that I was unable to work out.

On that topic, how are the time zones in the US named? There are five of them on the mainland US, but what are they called?

Re Daylight Saving, light deprivation becomes an issue in northern Europe in winter, so I can see the rationale for it.

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member