MacRumors' Webcast Stats during the MWSF 2006 Keynote

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

On January 10th, 2006, MacRumors delivered live updates of the Macworld San Francisco 2006 keynote speech given by Steve Jobs. Since no live Quicktime stream was made available, Mac fans had to rely on live web text updates. MacRumors.com successfully delivered live-updates to a record number of users using the latest web technologies.

After analyzing the logs, we've posted a summary of the MacRumorsLive system and the traffic that it generated.

In short, we peaked at approximately 103,000 simultaneous web visitors and over 6,000 IRC viewers during the keynote speech and consumed over 32 GB of bandwidth during the three hours surrounding the event.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
no wonder I couldn't post comments on the news stories... whoa! and that's 32 GB of mostly plain text I guess. mind-boggling.

what's the site hosting setup like? are you going to pay dearly for that bandwidth?

Comment

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
good work!!!!!!!

i was following along while it was going on. pretty good work actually. macrumors had the best coverage by far as i tried to bounce between a couple other sites that were a lil behind u guys. next best thing to streaming quicktime IMO:)

Comment

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Excellent job, congratulations to all involved for providing the best user experience to be had in this corner of the web. Here's to many more to look forward to.

Comment

Zweben

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2004
That's pretty damn impressive. Good work guys. Very well designed site to be able to handle that kind of traffic.

Comment

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Of all the MacWorld events ever covered by MacRumors this was the best one yet.

Comment

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
You guys did a great job in the coverage. The format was great and I enjoyed the 1 minute updates as compared to the 3 in previous years.

Thank you!

Comment

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
Yeah, congratulations on being able to handle all that. I think you guys were the only site, out of the 10 or so regular ones i visit, that actually worked without a hitch the entire keynote. Thanks!

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
dornoforpyros said:
:eek: 32gb of bandwidth? Jeeze the most my companies site has ever used is 60gb...in a MONTH
If we had used the old full-page refresh method instead of the new AJAX enabled site, it would have generated close to 196 GB of bandwidth during the same period of time.

arn

Comment

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Again I want to thank the Macrumors forum server for almost giving its life so that Mac fans could continue to freak out, bitch, and worry before, during, and after (Most of the bitch after mind you.) the keynote. It took some real gonads to keep the forum server unlocked the entire time. Thanks.

arn said:
If we had used the old full-page refresh method instead of the new AJAX enabled site, it would have generated close to 196 GB of bandwidth during the same period of time.

arn
Arn. Do you guys think you will ever bring back the Macrumors mugs?
https://www.macrumors.com/images/contribmug_thumb.jpg

I, and I'm sure many others, would be more then willing to plunk down some $$ to help MR's. Esp in times like this where you eat through bandwidth like a thirsty man in the desert goes through water.

Comment

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Go MacRumors :D

By far the best coverage on the net!

Heres to the next Stevenote/WWDC/Paris coverage ;)

Comment

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
Wow! Congrats MacRumors on surviving the storm! I know I sure appreciated the fantastic job MR did. It was a wonderful way to keep updated.

I had no idea so many others were enjoying it with me. :eek: :eek:

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Next year more fine-tuning will make MacRumors coverage even better, as Steve Jobs announces the secret plan for switching from Intel to AMD and the new MacBook nano.

Comment

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I visit a lot of Mac-related websites, and you guys had the best coverage without a doubt. In fact, some of the other sites were just copy/pasting what you guys were posting.

Fishes,
narco.

Comment

jnasato

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
paradise
wow

Wow, that's really amazing... Impressive that the servers could handle it all.

Thanks for the coverage MacRumors!

Comment

Menhir

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
New York City
Excellent Work...

Kudos on a job wonderfully done!! I was following the keynote on multiple sites, including engadget, which covered CES keynotes pretty well, but even they couldn't sustain the hits like you guys did. Amazing responsiveness and perfect updates!!

Again, you guys were undoubtedly the best!

Comment

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Wow. Nicely done. Those messages of 'overwhelming interest' certainly weren't lying. :)
I'd also like to say thanks for this site not having pop-ups or annoying advertisements. It's understandable that some pay the hosting fees, but I'm glad you guys have kept it tame :)

Comment

hscottm

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005
its scary to think that there are 100,000 of us hard up for rumors.

No wonder steve made special mention of "super secret mac rumors" in his fake keynote podcast.

I wonder if internal marketing estimates think of this (e.g., "we could make an ipod toilet and those rumor-ons would buy 100,000 of them, so lets do it").

I just thought there were 500 or so of us wackos.

Comment