MacRumours Newbies...need more support!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by u49aa2, May 5, 2009.

1. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

First i have to acknowledge that this forum has helped me a lot to solve issues, however in the same time it can sometimes be a bit dangerous in feeding paranoia! (however this may need different thread to discuss)

The reason i am posting this thread, are the negative attitudes i have noticed in this forum from many "senior" members. Newbies like me questions are ignored in many occasions...you see 70 or 100 individuals viewing your question and no single reply!

People say this is because many newbies ask questions before searching the forum for thread asking similar questions, so members ignore their questions to teach them to search the forum before asking. However the search engine in the forum in is not perfect and many times i used the search engine to find an info about a problem with no luck. Few times i see people saying the thread has been discussed before, but then when i use the key words in the questions inthe forum search engine i can not find any thread (yes i tried to search the forum using google).

So what i am asking from mac regulars and the people higher up in the rank, is that if they see a thread that has been asked before; first no too be rude (as i have noticed many times) and then either answer the question or put a link to where you claim the thread has been discussed (if you think it is that easy to find)

I am sorry if my language is a bit aggressive. I am not denying that many good people in the forum have answered some of my question very fast and in a nice way, but i guess the few bad memories that happened to me (either not answering or answering in a sarcastic way that made me feel stupid) and to some other newbies posts are covering over the good things.

There is a traditional saying i always found it interesting and hopefully will encourage people be more generous in their answers:

"Three good deeds will always stay after you die: 1)a well raised son/daughter who people say the X deceased who raised them is the reason they are good. 2) a financial contribution to charity which help in raising children who build the world who will reproduce children who will build the future world etc. 3) giving back knowledge. as knowledge will always circulate infinitely."

I rest my case :apple:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are currently almost 5000 people viewing the forums, so I can explain that. Every time one of those 5000 looks at your thread, it counts. Now, of those 5000, there are only about 350 members logged in. Which means only those members can answer, if they know the answer. That's how you can get so many views and no replies.

3. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

What ^^ said, but, more people need to use search.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, although I think a lot of people are really unsure what terms to search for.

5. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I understand that, bu still, i feel even saying i don't know is much better than ignorance!

agree

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Not to condemn word usage, but I don't think ignorance means what you are intending.

For me, I do not reply to questions I don't know, otherwise I'd be saying "I don't know" constantly for lots of questions in this forum...

7. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Sorry for misusing the words. But i think many people do not do what you do!

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Plus, the short "Don't know" answer can be considered spam and against the forum rules.

And simply stopping in and opening your mouth and proving how ignorant you are would make this look like a tweenie site ... and at that point we might as well adopt rainbows and unicorns as the site wallpaper.

9. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

So do you really believe that all the people who view a new thread for a newbie and leave no answer is because they either are not logged members or they don't know the answer?!!

10. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I know it's easy to think it's some grand conspiracy, but it really is not. I know I have started a couple threads even as long as two years ago that haven't had a single reply. Most people here will answer the question if they know the answer.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

There are some rude people here. That's just life. There's also folks that just don't know what to type/answer to a question. I will say though posting in the wrong thread can make "regulars and up" think it's just spam or they don't want to post in a discussion that's the wrong place.

12. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I apologize for that, but as you will notice i have tried to post in the appropriate forum but i had no answer! though i understand this is not an excuse.

However as i said before, i started this thread when i felt this is not only happening to me but to other newbies also.

13. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Peace,

I agree, this doesn't help u49aa2's reputation here...

u49aa2,

It makes absolutely no sense to post that question in the forum you chose. No one is going to answer your question there. The forum you initially chose was correct. You got upset after 3 hours of no one answering your question. Your retaliation for that will of course keep people away from your thread now. I suggest you edit your second post in that thread and hope for the best.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

What are we supposed to say...
    [​IMG]

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think there are valid points here - the search isn't the easiest, and chronological browsing isn't that easy either initially. There is the option of having more help from the forum guides for topics that come up to give directions to running threads.
    There is MRoogle - and Google does well too, if you know the right words to look up.

The rules of the forum could be (i'm not saying they should be) changed - so if someone is going to say it's a duplicate thread - they have to actually darn well link to that previous thread or threads or a guide. Sometimes the question gets answered anyhow, before the thread gets locked for example.

Newbie threads actually are a great indicator of what the topics of conversation are for incoming new members - they could be used for good :D
    (e.g. show where areas a guide for a certain subforum should cover, or which is being asked about more)

16. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There are thousands of people here and they all were newbs at one time. Hang around and pay attention. It gets better and better, and most of us are here to make a positive contribution. Everyone gets moody, it's allowed, enjoyed, and we move on.

As far as searching before posting, it just makes it easier on everyone. And, always use MRoogle, cause it's the best. We all generally frown on lazy bums who want us to do all the work for them, that's just human. But, for the most part, we do try to point everyone, even the newbies, in the right direction.

If you feel that you are being neglected/abused, and you really like it here, consider becoming a contributor. The more you contribute, the more you will receive in return.:)

17. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Sometimes, Google is better than asking the question here on the forums.

As a test, I googled the problem you've been having with viewing Pages documents on an iPhone. It was actually a little difficult finding anything. I did find on Apple's own forums a reference to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2637

The thing is, most people don't want to be used as "google searchers". It takes time and effort, which for a bunch of strangers sometimes isn't worth the effort. I do understand that it is difficult to come up with search terms, but it is a skill that gets better with practice.

Edit: for example on searching, i first googled "open pages document on iPhone" which didn't really get anywhere. I then changed "open" to "view", and the search gave back better results. Changing words around like that is something to always think about...

18. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I know the answers to all n00b threads but I don't answer any :p.

19. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

My friend, believe me the issue is not only about me, i have seen this happening to few me before the post you saw and after. And about the iwork question, i realy don't want the answer! it is not worth it!

However, as i said regarding my post; i realize i made a mistake

20. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

In my experience, the forum search isn't the best. Google the question, you'd be surprised how many times it points you to a thread on this forum!

I already have those...( has to do with me criticizing the forum search :rolleyes::mad:)

21. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Thanks man. i have tried few words, but no success. I hope you believe me if i say that i always Google things before i ask questions in the forum. Thanks again.

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Just a post of "I don't know" is akin to +1, QFT, or I agree, and will be deleted by the mods. See below:

And then every thread asking a question would have at least 20 replies of "idk :D:D:D:D:D:D:apple::apple::apple::apple:".

There are some users whom will just not answer, but generally, you are correct.

It doesn't happen to newbies alone, there are thousands of threads will no replies. I have a few.

So you can be abused by other contributors. :eek:

23. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

No problem, and I believe you. Like I said, it gets easier.

24. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That was my motivation.:rolleyes:

25. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I motion for this thread to be closed on the basis that the OP is no longer a newbie, and therefore has no more reason to complain.

It's a joke, calm down.