Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
Redondo Beach, California
It is in their interest that the customers who made Mac OS X popular do not move to Linux, turning it into the next trend.
This has been a moderately entertaining thread right up 'til this post. Silly, but entertaining. This one right here? This post is freaking hilarious. If, for the purpose of argument, we grant that you're among the thought leaders who made OS X popular, are we to take from this post that you've now turned your favor toward unix clones? And that your change of heart has been driven by an evil confluence of the Lion OS and Thunderbolt? I, for one, am shaken to my core. With trembling hands I am placing the order with my broker to sell my Apple stock.

Last edited:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
A thunderbolt port is the reason a laptop is obsolete?
I don't understand how a thunderbolt port makes the laptop out of date?
I could understand the argument that Macs still used USB2 ports as being a reason to call them obsolete.

On the other note are other laptop makers currently offering a display port 1.2 port on their laptops?
I haven't been on top of all of the manufacturers to keep up with who is offering what. I'd like a link to one if you have it.
It would be interesting to see. TY.

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
I would have moved years ago to Solaris if it were not for the consumer applications and drivers.

Geez, How could I have missed this nugget of wisdom earlier? You would have moved to Solaris year ago if... well essentially if it wasn't Solaris. Many of us here moved FROM Solaris. I still keep an instance of Solaris 10 on a VM for the times when I need to do something particularly arcane.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Geez, How could I have missed this nugget of wisdom earlier? You would have moved to Solaris year ago if... well essentially if it wasn't Solaris. Many of us here moved FROM Solaris. I still keep an instance of Solaris 10 on a VM for the times when I need to do something particularly arcane.

Having consumer applications does not change an OS from what it is.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
4K TVs are being released.

If instead of crippling Macs with Thunderbolt, Apple would just have used DisplayPort 1.2 which the discrete chips already support since quite a while, the computers would be able to drive the new display generation at full resolution.
I don't think you've put much thought into this...

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
Many of us here moved FROM Solaris. I still keep an instance of Solaris 10 on a VM for the times when I need to do something particularly arcane.

In defense of Solaris, and its variants, it has a very modern file system in ZFS which is vastly superior to JHFS+/X. The two are hardly comparable. So if you want to build highly reliable storage today, you'd look to Solaris before Mac OS.

----------

But yes, cube is a troll and not a particularly good or consistent one. The early goal post shifting was the red flag... usually a good troll is skilled enough to, you know, troll for a bit, before shifting goal posts so obviously. None of these fish are biting on his bait.

wethackrey

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2007
In defense of Solaris, and its variants, it has a very modern file system in ZFS which is vastly superior to JHFS+/X. The two are hardly comparable. So if you want to build highly reliable storage today, you'd look to Solaris before Mac OS.
I really wasn't kidding. I do run a Solaris 10 VM on my Mac, having used Solaris since it was called SunOS 5.4 and I'm a big fan of ZFS. I'm frankly more than a little confused about the future of ZFS on MacOS given Apple's flip-flopping on the issue and ZEVO's apparent implosion. I have a developer release of Snow Leopard server, the release notes to which specifically state ZFS support. Lord knows what happened. Incompatible with their Time Machine plans perhaps.

In any case, I just think our friend was making a ridiculous point in suggesting that Solaris at this stage of it's development could supplant MacOS.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
I'm frankly more than a little confused about the future of ZFS on MacOS given Apple's flip-flopping on the issue and ZEVO's apparent implosion.

Yeah I'm not sure how ZEVO fits GreenBytes model, even though they are saying it will continue to be sold and supported. I see how the Ten's Complement principle engineer fits within GreenBytes model, however.

I have a developer release of Snow Leopard server, the release notes to which specifically state ZFS support. Lord knows what happened. Incompatible with their Time Machine plans perhaps.

The long standing rumor was the NetApp lawsuit made Apple drop it. And maybe they decided to just immediately start working on a new file system, because such a thing takes years to mature. And they may be going with a file system that's primarily for SSD.

In any case, I just think our friend was making a ridiculous point in suggesting that Solaris at this stage of it's development could supplant MacOS.

Or Linux. The day Apple stops development on Mac OS X, it would be many years before Linux desktop had more market share than an ancient Mac OS, maybe even a decade.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
But yes, cube is a troll and not a particularly good or consistent one. The early goal post shifting was the red flag... usually a good troll is skilled enough to, you know, troll for a bit, before shifting goal posts so obviously. None of these fish are biting on his bait.

It is you who derailed the thread by going into the form factor subject.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
It is in their interest that the customers who made Mac OS X popular do not move to Linux, turning it into the next trend.

Actually it's in the interest of any consumer oriented company for anyone who might move to Linux to move to Linux already and stop make unrealistic demands.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Actually it's in the interest of any consumer oriented company for anyone who might move to Linux to move to Linux already and stop make unrealistic demands.

It is not unrealistic to not want computers which are just disposable.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It is not unrealistic to not want computers which are just disposable.

Cube

Let's inject some reality here. All the 4k displays for sale currently cost more than my car.

They will become affordable but we're still in the infancy of being able to acquire 4k content easily let alone edit it.

By the time 4k matters to the average consumer Thunderbolt will be on a newer revision and support more bandwidth.

Some things make computers disposable but this just isn't the likeliest of issue looming right now.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Cube

Let's inject some reality here. All the 4k displays for sale currently cost more than my car.

They will become affordable but we're still in the infancy of being able to acquire 4k content easily let alone edit it.

By the time 4k matters to the average consumer Thunderbolt will be on a newer revision and support more bandwidth.

Some things make computers disposable but this just isn't the likeliest of issue looming right now.

Disposable is not about 4K.

Disposable is about the reduced form factor subject introduced in the thread by someone else.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Debatable and veers off of the thread topic. Thunderbolt helps prevent disposability

Well, if you don't want to veer off, people should not introduce in the thread a topic much worse than crippling Macs by not having DisplayPort 1.2

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Of course when HDTVs first went on sale at thousands of dollars Macs of the day supported them right?

Oh, right, they didn't. And there was no reason they should have.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Of course when HDTVs first went on sale at thousands of dollars Macs of the day supported them right?

Oh, right, they didn't. And there was no reason they should have.

Except when Apple introduced Thunderbolt, DisplayPort 1.2 already existed and the discrete graphics chips in those computers already supported it.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Except when Apple introduced Thunderbolt, DisplayPort 1.2 already existed and the discrete graphics chips in those computers already supported it.

But there is no need. How many people can afford a 4K TV, an expect to drive it from a laptop, and have 4K content ready to be displayed.

Thunderbolt is really in its infancy, and by the time it will be expected to drive something like a 4K TV by the average consumer, it will be able to.

And, the bottleneck isn't the Thunderbolt port, it's the GPU n

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
But there is no need. How many people can afford a 4K TV, an expect to drive it from a laptop, and have 4K content ready to be displayed.

Thunderbolt is really in its infancy, and by the time it will be expected to drive something like a 4K TV by the average consumer, it will be able to.

And, the bottleneck isn't the Thunderbolt port, it's the GPU n

You can buy a 4KTV now. How long until there are 10GbE Thunderbolt adapters? I guess longer than by when 4K monitors will be available.

For the rest, USB 3.0 and ExpressCard are enough for now.

The GPU should be enough for static 4K 2D work. There were already 9 megapixel monitors 11 years ago.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
You can buy a 4KTV now. How long until there are 10GbE Thunderbolt adapters? I guess longer than by when 4K monitors will be available.

For the rest, USB 3.0 and ExpressCard are enough for now.

The GPU should be enough for static 4K 2D work. There were already 9 megapixel monitors 11 years ago.

So your even admitting that 4K monitors aren't available yet. So why worry about not being able to drive them?

Stop bringing other "things" into the conversation. We are talking about 4K displays and thunderbolt/display port.

*looks at Retina MacBook Pro Lagging threads* really? Should be able to handle static work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.