Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
A friend was just admitting to me she no longer uses a Mac (gasps from the crowd) and that her PC bombed. So she took it in to the tech and said, "My computer bombed". He said, "What!?" "You know, it bombed," she repeated. Finally he got it. She says later she cracked up after leaving the store. She couldn't decide which was funnier, her using a Mac term or his totally not understanding. :)

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
This is pre-OS X humor.

Attachments

• bomb.jpg
    bomb.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,141

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
JeDiBoYTJ said:
Bombed? Mac Term? Macs Bomb? Im Confused?

Back in the days before Mac OS X (Mac OS 1.0 through 9.2), the equivalent to today's kernel panic and Windows' BSODs were "A system error has a occurred" messages. They had a bomb icon in them (hence the term "bombed") and only one button: restart.

Here's a screenshot of one:
window_bomb.gif

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
iindigo said:
Back in the days before Mac OS X (Mac OS 1.0 through 9.2), the equivalent to today's kernel panic and Windows' BSODs were "A system error has a occurred" messages. They had a bomb icon in them (hence the term "bombed") and only one button: restart.

window_bomb.gif

ohhh! now I see... I remember that happening a few times at my old school... didnt know it was called "bombed" lol

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
iindigo said:

window_bomb.gif

Oh ha, I remember that! It's been SOOOO long though.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
iindigo said:

window_bomb.gif

Yes-and thank God OS 9 is nearly dead! :)

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Littleodie914 said:
Haha neither did we... Button just turned "clicked" and the computer froze :rolleyes:

Yet whenever it came up you still clicked it hoping that it would actually restart but still just ended up freezing the computer and doing nothing :p

I know I did :D

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Darwin said:
Yet whenever it came up you still clicked it hoping that it would actually restart but still just ended up freezing the computer and doing nothing :p

I know I did :D
Haha likewise... It was like the button was preparing the computer for the hard reset that would soon follow :) ;)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
iindigo said:
They had a bomb icon in them (hence the term "bombed") and only one button: restart.

Hehe! Well, you are wrong. But don't feel too bad...

bomb.gif

That's from System 1.0
Read from this linkety and be enlightened!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Just seeing a jpeg of this window makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. It seems the bomb always appeared at the very moment you were about to save an important document. Thanks for reminding me that the "good old days" weren't as good as we'd like to remember.

BTW, the "restart" button did work sometimes (maybe once in fifty instances).

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
hey did anyone ever have the "resume" button not appear greyed out for them? The closest I ever came was it was flickering between clickable and greyed out, and I always wondered if it was indeed possible to "Resume" from a system error.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
tpjunkie said:
hey did anyone ever have the "resume" button not appear greyed out for them? The closest I ever came was it was flickering between clickable and greyed out, and I always wondered if it was indeed possible to "Resume" from a system error.

I wouldn't know. I've been trying to emulate System 1 from that page but it the disk image doesn't seem to want to mount in something like, say, WinImage or even be read in that format by Basillisk II.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
vollspacken said:
true dat... ;)

but there are still some people out there believing that Os9 is far superior to OsX... no kidding!!!

vSpacken

That's because they haven't really used it yet. Once they spend a week on it, they're hooked! :)

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2004
Mechcozmo said:
Hehe! Read from this linkety and be enlightened!

I was trying to load that emulator on the site and what should happen? My first kernel panic! Oh the irony...

EDIT: Got the thing to load, then... A bomb!! (the button didn't work either) Too funny! :p

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Chubypig said:
I was trying to load that emulator on the site and what should happen? My first kernel panic! Oh the irony...

EDIT: Got the thing to load, then... A bomb!! (the button didn't work either) Too funny! :p

I got my first EVER kernel panic trying to open the System 1.1 disk image! And when I rebooted and tried again, it says I can't open it cuz it's some unrecnogized image or something. How did you get it to work?

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2004
Raven VII said:
I got my first EVER kernel panic trying to open the System 1.1 disk image! And when I rebooted and tried again, it says I can't open it cuz it's some unrecnogized image or something. How did you get it to work?

Open the vMac emulator, then go to the Hardware menu at the top and click Insert Disk #1. Then choose the System 1.1 disk image. Have Fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.