Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Willy S said:
I just watched the TV commercial "I´m a Mac and I´m a PC" and combined with Jobs´s "bitchin" comment, I´m really thinking that Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities.

Maybe this is just a part of an American culture, which doesn´t appeal to Europeans like me?

I´m now in the market for a nice portable computer for my wife, who is a very intellectual person and will be awarded with a PhD degree in 2 months. I wanted to get a Mac for her, since PCs don´t support Tiger properly and legally, but I just cannot tolerate that the CEO of Apple is pratically saying that Apple customers, who pay their hard earned cash for high priced, underclocked Macs, are *bitchin.*

I hope Apple´s board will fire this man and hire a CEO that pays some respect to the company´s customers! :mad:

As a person of European decent I feel I must run to the defense of a fellow- European descendant and beat back the hordes of Pasbts beer-swilling, Molly Hatchet-listening, 1985 IROC Camero driving, mullet-haired ruffians that are abusing this poor man. Of course Apple should release the only successful CEO they have ever known, for using such foul gutter snipe langguage so common among America's heavy metal, devil worshipping adolescents. As a man with TWO masters degrees I can atest to the fact that when I went into the Best Buy Emporium (Where I have been a member of some standing for years after being invited by the Queen, herself)to purchase a new Windows computational devise, I was required to show proof of my education and pass a minimun competency test that evaluated my knowledge of Classical Literature, Quantum Mechanics, Aristotilion Ethics, and then produce a geneology of my family to ensure that there were no physical, mental, emotional, or spiritual abnomalities that may taint the Windows reputation. A background check was required in which members of my 1st grade class (1977) were interviewed to ensure that I: 1. Never had any toileting accidents and 2. DId not eat the glue paste.

Yes, the requirements are stringent but necessary to keep the riffraff from soiling the sublime experience that only comes from running Adaware three times a day, reinstalling the OS 1 every three months, and randomly getting to veiw the Holiest of Holies: The Beloved Blue Screen.

Back you long-haried heathens!! Back to you hovels! Back to your hard water showers, Sears-brand lawnmowers, and deep-fried mozarella balls!

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Well, I seemed to have misunderstand this bitchin thing.

However, I now have a genuine reason to be angry at Apple since my *fixed* iMac with the new logic board that I received from the repair last week won´t boot.

I called Apple and they wouldn´t want to do anything for me and told me that I had to bring the computer in myself to a center that is not close to my home and I don´t have a car.

So my iMac didn´t only cost me much money, but also much time that I don´t have for this and I´m used to a far better service, e.g. from Philips when my video projector broke, they came to my home to pic it up.

On top of this mess, Apple says they only provide a 1 year full warranty even though EU law say that 2 year is a minimum. The Apple operator told my that if the computer brakes after the first year, I would have to prove that the failiure is because of a flaw!:mad:

So it looks like my wife will get a laptop that is not a Mac, since we have this experience in dealing with Apple and their *warranty.*:mad:

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Willy S said:
So my iMac didn´t only cost me much money, but also much time that I don´t have for this and I´m used to a far better service, e.g. from Philips when my video projector broke, they came to my home to pic it up.
Home service isn't part of the deal. It's great for companies that do provide that service, but most don't and can't reasonably be expected to do so. So yes, you'd have to take it back to the store if there's a problem.

On top of this mess, Apple says they only provide a 1 year full warranty even though EU law say that 2 year is a minimum.
As far as I know, the 2-year minimum only applies to EU companies...it doesn't apply to Apple or Dell or any other American company. In any case, if it breaks out of warranty, you're pretty much SOL with any product.

In any case, enjoy your new PC!

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Willy S said:

Maybe your right, the Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities. You have a mac so it must be true.

Good luck with your wife's new computer. I bet you'll get bitchin' service from Dell or where ever you are ordering her computer from.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
matticus008 said:
Home service isn't part of the deal. It's great for companies that do provide that service, but most don't and can't reasonably be expected to do so. So yes, you'd have to take it back to the store if there's a problem.

As far as I know, the 2-year minimum only applies to EU companies...it doesn't apply to Apple or Dell or any other American company. In any case, if it breaks out of warranty, you're pretty much SOL with any product.

In any case, enjoy your new PC!
No, it applies to all goods sold in the EU.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
njmac said:
Maybe your right, the Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities. You have a mac so it must be true.

Good luck with your wife's new computer. I bet you'll get bitchin' service from Dell or where ever you are ordering her computer from.
I´ve heard nice things about IBM service. T line Thinkpads come with a standard 3 year warranty.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
Willy S said:
No, it applies to all goods sold in the EU.
That's impossible. The EU can't legislate warranties for overseas companies. Part of the EU Product Warranty Directive (I assume that's the law you're talking about) exempts US manufacturers exporting goods to the EU from compliance. This is the case here, at least in technical terms if not in practice. They've covered all the required bases for sales in Europe--Apple can't afford not to.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
freeny said:
"Bitchin" is used in the US very similarly to the way the Brits use "Wicked".

Ok Freeny I must know who your Avatar is. She haunts my nights. And makes my wife jealous when I shout out "Oh God Freeny avatar!!"

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Willy S said:
I´ve heard nice things about IBM service. T line Thinkpads come with a standard 3 year warranty.

Actually, no they don't. You have to pay for a 3 year warranty. They come with a 1 year limited warranty. It's the same as for Apple. Perhaps where you were looking threw in the 3 year warranty for free?

From the T43 webpage:

Limited warranty[7]
Type of service[13] Customer Carry-in or provided by ThinkPad EasyServ (North America only)
Limited warranty period One year parts and labor (system battery: one year)

Beware, I have a StinkPad T43 and I hate the thing. It's already blue screened on me 2x. It BS'd and it's running XP! I find Lenovo's customer service to be abysmal. You wouldn't believe the hoops a collegue had to jump through to (not) get a sound driver from them. Down with Lenovo/IBM!

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
matticus008 said:
That's impossible. The EU can't legislate warranties for overseas companies. Part of the EU Product Warranty Directive (I assume that's the law you're talking about) exempts US manufacturers exporting goods to the EU from compliance. This is the case here, at least in technical terms if not in practice. They've covered all the required bases for sales in Europe--Apple can't afford not to.
In Europe I believe Macs are assembled in Cork, Ireland and not exported from the USA. I think this establishes a big enough presence for Apple in Europe that they would be required to follow the rules of the EU Product Warranty Directive.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Willy S said:
I just watched the TV commercial "I´m a Mac and I´m a PC" and combined with Jobs´s "bitchin" comment, I´m really thinking that Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities.

Maybe this is just a part of an American culture, which doesn´t appeal to Europeans like me?

I´m now in the market for a nice portable computer for my wife, who is a very intellectual person and will be awarded with a PhD degree in 2 months. I wanted to get a Mac for her, since PCs don´t support Tiger properly and legally, but I just cannot tolerate that the CEO of Apple is pratically saying that Apple customers, who pay their hard earned cash for high priced, underclocked Macs, are *bitchin.*

I hope Apple´s board will fire this man and hire a CEO that pays some respect to the company´s customers! :mad:

buy a fraking dell instead, what does she need Tiger for?

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
jsw said:
Just as I'm sure you know that it's somewhat unlikely that a moderator at MacRumors would actually say what I said with a straight face.

Hey JSW - Congrats on being a mod - That is new, isn't it?

There was someone else that I noticed as a new mod here recently as well. Did I miss an announcement?

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
Willy S said:

hahaha im not a real fan of "bitchin" either but you are stressing over nothing here. while im sure our american lingo isnt too common over in europe, jobs only said ppl would want the new MBP b/c its a "cool" piece of hardware. he meant the MBP is bitchin, not the customers.

also, i think one of the main selling points of the mac is that it is so easy to use. in fact its really dumbed down, when i switched from PCs OS X was cumbersome at first b/c i wasnt used to things being done so simply.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
yellow said:
Actually, no they don't. You have to pay for a 3 year warranty. They come with a 1 year limited warranty. It's the same as for Apple. Perhaps where you were looking threw in the 3 year warranty for free?

From the T43 webpage:

Beware, I have a StinkPad T43 and I hate the thing. It's already blue screened on me 2x. It BS'd and it's running XP! I find Lenovo's customer service to be abysmal. You wouldn't believe the hoops a collegue had to jump through to (not) get a sound driver from them. Down with Lenovo/IBM!

lol i dunno about this. ive done alot of work with computers and the thinkpads are the best PC laptops around. they are workhorses, plain and simple. sounds like a bad experience you are having with yours, and ive had similar scenarios too. however, ive had too much success with the thinkpad line to hold a grudge

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
jamesi said:
lol i dunno about this. ive done alot of work with computers and the thinkpads are the best PC laptops around. they are workhorses, plain and simple. sounds like a bad experience you are having with yours, and ive had similar scenarios too. however, ive had too much success with the thinkpad line to hold a grudge

Unfortunately, everyone in my group got a T43, and either there were 14 T43s in a "bad batch", or Lenovo StinkPads kinda suck, or we all have massively bad luck. You decide. ;)

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Willy S said:
The Apple operator told my that if the computer brakes after the first year, I would have to prove that the failiure is because of a flaw!:mad:

Hmm...speaking of relatively little intellectual capabilities.... If the computer brakes after the first year, you should take it into an auto repair shop. I mean, duh! Macs aren't supposed to brake at all...they're supposed to run full-tilt. And of course you're going to have to prove that the failiure is because of a flaw--failiures don't just happien, you know.

--Eric

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
dr_lha said:
In Europe I believe Macs are assembled in Cork, Ireland and not exported from the USA. I think this establishes a big enough presence for Apple in Europe that they would be required to follow the rules of the EU Product Warranty Directive.

I didn't think they were made in Cork or California. Those locations may be their primary warehouse/distribution centers for each continent, but I thought they all were made in Aisa.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
yellow said:
Unfortunately, everyone in my group got a T43, and either there were 14 T43s in a "bad batch", or Lenovo StinkPads kinda suck, or we all have massively bad luck. You decide. ;)

I think you all have collective bad luck, and therefore got a bad batch. :D I think thinkpads are the best PC laptops out there - I'm very happy with the T41 my work gave me. But I digress; this isn't LenovoRumors.com after all...

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
m-dogg said:
I didn't think they were made in Cork or California. Those locations may be their primary warehouse/distribution centers for each continent, but I thought they all were made in Aisa.
"Assembled" not "made", as in, they stick in the extra RAM/GFX cards/HDs in Cork. Of course the computers are made in China everywhere, but CTO forfillments are done in Cork, just like they are done in California if you're in the USA I believe.

Regardless, I think Apple can clearly be claimed to be a company that operates in Europe, so must follow EU laws and directives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.