Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
ih8pc said:
You do know those smart citizens you're talking about are windows IT workers.:mad:
Just as I'm sure you know that it's somewhat unlikely that a moderator at MacRumors would actually say what I said with a straight face.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
dr_lha said:
They were all bought (yes bought, not brought) in after they did their Nobel Prizing winning work though eh?
No.

And actually the word you should have been concerned with was all not bought. :D

Besides, I've seen more fighting over professors between UC schools than UC schools trying to bring in outside names. For example, Bill Thurston was acquired by US Davis... at the expense of Berkley.

And when the US was deciding who was going to manage the Los Alamos Research faculty in New Mexico, they gave the job to the Regents of the University of California. And the Unix foundations of Mac OS X (BSD) is from UC Berkley.

Or was that just at UCSB? ;)
I wasn't commenting of the status of any one UC school over another. Though UCSB was one of the founding places of Chaos theory, so I wouldn't look down on it.

The University of California pretty much has an indisputable history. It is a pretty bitchin' school. :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Willy S said:
I just watched the TV commercial "I´m a Mac and I´m a PC" and combined with Jobs´s "bitchin" comment, I´m really thinking that Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities.

Sorry, you're wrong. You are _not_ in the target audience for a Macintosh.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
RacerX said:
No.

And actually the word you should have been concerned with was all not bought. :D

Besides, I've seen more fighting over professors between UC schools than UC schools trying to bring in outside names. For example, Bill Thurston was acquired by US Davis... at the expense of Berkley.

And when the US was deciding who was going to manage the Los Alamos Research faculty in New Mexico, they gave the job to the Regents of the University of California. And the Unix foundations of Mac OS X (BSD) is from UC Berkley.

I wasn't commenting of the status of any one UC school over another. Though UCSB was one of the founding places of Chaos theory, so I wouldn't look down on it.

The University of California pretty much has an indisputable history. It is a pretty bitchin' school. :D
I worked there for 5 years, mate. You didn't have to take my post so seriously! ;)

BTW UC royalled f***ed up the running of LANL, so please don't use that as a reason why UC is so great!

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Classic!

In a typical Eurotrash post claiming Americans are all stupid (um where was Apple, Microsoft, IBM founded and the Internet, transistors, microchips invented? NOT EUROPE) you come off as a complete dummy.

And what is with this "tiger won't run properly" on a PC comment? WTF? Since when is Mac OS X made for PeeCees?

I'm Lovin it!

If Americans are so brash, go buy a 100% Euro-made PeeCee and operating system (Linux doesn't count, Linus only made the kernel and married it to the GNU libraries which were not Euro-spawn) - if there are any.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Subiklim said:
American Designed, built to our standards.

you seem a bit ignorant

Especially since barely any of the components of a computer are made in america.

and one company (Levono or whatever) isn't even an american company.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
jsw said:
Oh please.

Windows users are too bright to waste their time watching TV. The ads are only seen by the unwashed Mac-loving masses.

Note: Again, sarcastic...

You just need to use the sarcastic tag.

Like this, Willy S's [sarcasm]astute cultural analysis is so impressive I am sure that Apple will read this and immediately jettison a CEO who has been instrumental in recreating the company he once founded [/sarcasm].

See easy as pie.

I wonder what Willy S thinks of Balmer's "I'm going to ******* kill Google" comment and subsequent chair-throwing.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Another UCSB graduate

I'm just piping in with my love for UCSB, and its ECE and Materials Departments. Yes, it's true, when the departments were founded in the 80's that researchers were well paid to leave places like IBM and Bell Labs to come to Santa Barbara. And, in the case of Herb Kroemer, his Nobel work was done at Bell Labs back in the 60's. Walter Kohn's was also done before UCSB, as was David Gross's and Alan Heeger's. That has no bearing on the quality of research they did/do at UCSB, just shows we have kick ass faculty. I'm very proud to have a Materials PhD from there.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Dont Hurt Me said:
Bad choice of words let alone a word to be used in a public campaign. almost stupid.

Jobs used bitchin not as part of a public ad campaign, but rather during a presentation. And, while not the most staid choice of phrases, bitchin works culturally (baby-boomer -> Gen-X/Y know what bitchin means [mostly]) and figuratively as an expression of Jobs' enthusiasm of the MacBook Pro.

I think Willy just misunderstood the expression or is shocked by even the mere hint of a curse word.
As for the whole European vs. American thing, let it freakin' go. Neither is superior to the other and each has its advantages.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Willy S said:
I just watched the TV commercial "I´m a Mac and I´m a PC" and combined with Jobs´s "bitchin" comment, I´m really thinking that Mac is mostly aimed at people who posess relatively little intellectual capabilities.

Maybe this is just a part of an American culture, which doesn´t appeal to Europeans like me?

I´m now in the market for a nice portable computer for my wife, who is a very intellectual person and will be awarded with a PhD degree in 2 months. I wanted to get a Mac for her, since PCs don´t support Tiger properly and legally, but I just cannot tolerate that the CEO of Apple is pratically saying that Apple customers, who pay their hard earned cash for high priced, underclocked Macs, are *bitchin.*

I hope Apple´s board will fire this man and hire a CEO that pays some respect to the company´s customers! :mad:

I think The Bithcne comment was a joke by Jobs and his way of using new slang. As for the Mac vs PC guys well the Young Guy is meant to show change and something new.

Play Ultimate

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
eva01 said:
you seem a bit ignorant

Especially since barely any of the components of a computer are made in america.

and one company (Levono or whatever) isn't even an american company.

I'm sorry? I never specified where they were made; I'm trying to say they were designed in America. I suppose I should have been more articulate.

Leveno is still making IBM designed laptops, but yes, they are not an American company.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Dont Hurt Me said:
Bad choice of words let alone a word to be used in a public campaign. almost stupid.

Where was the word used in a public campaign? None of the ads use it.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
This thread is giving me a case of the Willies! :D

Consults built in Oxford Dictionary

Dictionary
willies |?wil?z| plural noun ( the willies) informal a strong feeling of nervous apprehension and discomfort : that room gave him the willies. ORIGIN late 19th cent.(originally U.S.): of unknown origin.willy |?wil?| (also willie) noun ( pl. -lies) informal a penis. ORIGIN early 20th cent.: nickname for the given name William.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
BurtonCCC said:
You don't see the "white trash" people in sleeveless Metallica shirts (nothing wrong with Metallica, but you know the people I'm talking about) and homemade cut-off jeans and barbed wire tattoos walking around Apple Stores.
That is so funny...maybe my local Apple store is far from the norm but the kids that hang out there sure as hell aren't preppy snobs. Quite the opposite. And the last time I went there wearing my Metallica t-shirt and cut-off jeans I got hit on by 3 dudes, all wearing bussiness suits lookin' like 'dem upper-class type peoples, (oh crap, I lapsed into "white-trashese"-my filter must be off) one drove a Jag, another a Porche, and the 3rd was the store manager. My point? The "type" that you think belongs on the Mac scene would just as easily cheat on their wives (the Jag guy had a wedding ring...even worse made he made no attempt to hide it), they are no different in the regard that, white trash or high-society, guys are mainly led around by their d*cks.
So there.

To the OP-I'm sure you are a troll and are probably getting your kicks but this is entertaining so I'll bite. The above rant was just a small example of how silly any "sticking to a stereotype" could be. Jobs says "bitchin" and Mac users are stupid? One word is enough to kill it for you? I hope you don't apply this to every area of your life. Take 2 people. The guy in the bussiness suit and the Jag who happens to be married. The girl in the Metallica t-shirt and cut-off jeans. First glance you'd think the Jag guy would be more "palatable". Yet he would cheat on his wife, risk everything he has just for sex. Yet the girl, who you think looks like "white trash", wouldn't ever dream of cheating, or being the "other girl", or being picked up for that matter. Morally speaking I kick his ass. While it is easy to be influenced by something so minor as a shirt or a word you really can't judge a book by its cover. So many times you will be drastically wrong.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
gauchogolfer said:
I'm just piping in with my love for UCSB, and its ECE and Materials Departments. Yes, it's true, when the departments were founded in the 80's that researchers were well paid to leave places like IBM and Bell Labs to come to Santa Barbara. And, in the case of Herb Kroemer, his Nobel work was done at Bell Labs back in the 60's. Walter Kohn's was also done before UCSB, as was David Gross's and Alan Heeger's. That has no bearing on the quality of research they did/do at UCSB, just shows we have kick ass faculty. I'm very proud to have a Materials PhD from there.
Yes. Please note my comment about UCSB was a gentle jab, not a criticism. Walter Kohn and Alan Heeger are great guys (I didn't ever get the chance to meet Herb Kroemer), and UCSB has a fantastic research faculty.

STUDY HALL RULES!!! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.