Macs have slower WiFi?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Nov 27, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Visited family for the holidays and stayed with my parents. The redeemable aspect of the house is the wireless internet connection, which screams. Websites explode open and I feel so much more productive. As opposed to the plodding or capricious internet I have in my apartment.

To my surprise, Amtrak now provides WiFi. Unfortunately, it was painfully slow, worse than my apartment. However, the passenger sitting next to me was rocking an Acer and was breezing through websites, well I could barely download a page with every element on the page properly loaded.

What gives? Obviously my internet connection is not broken since it is fast when the connection is good, but it seems less robust when it's not. How come the guy next to me with the bargain PC notebook was able to have a decent browsing experience while I had anything but? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

i've noticed that if you cover the back hinge, you can severely impact wireless performance since that's where the wifi antenna is at. If I cover mine, it can really slow network speeds, and I can get it to drop connection when I'm at the further edges of my house than the router.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Are you sure the other person wasn't tethering from their phone or using a mobile hotspot?

4. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. It was on my lap, not sure if I was really covering the back hinge.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another factor could be your DNS server choices. You can use namebench to find the optimum DNS servers.

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This!

7. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

in my experience, my MBP has always been faster than windows laptops on the same network...

8. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I don't believe he was using a mobile hotspot. Whenever he would open a browser, the homepage would be the Amtrak WiFi page.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Mine is on and off...

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Btw, why were you looking at his laptop!?! :D:p

11. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

Why are you posting iPhone question in MacBook Wifi thread?

Please post in the iPhone forums.

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Tis wot I get over de' wifi.

[​IMG]

I think it's a DNS issue or a mobile hotspot as mentioned.

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Those who understand WiFi thoroughly, know that the Aluminum housing of a MBP or MBA has a somewhat negative effect on signal reception.

My ThinkPad's CFRP housing is ideal, since it allows the signal to pass through without any interference. Between that and a very clever antenna design, ThinkPads are the leader when it comes to WiFi performance.

A side by side test using my 15" MBP vs my 15" ThinkPad T520 reveals an eye opening advantage in favor of the ThinkPad.

My MBP is quite usable, it's just not up to the standard set by my ThinkPad.

14. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well most other PC notebook housing are made from the same stuff, right?

----------

Can't help my wandering eyes. He was writing a horror novel about stick figures with so-so dialogue.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

This was nice to know...sounds like school ;)

Haha. Learn any new survival skills?

16. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Apple's Wifi has never been very good. Often it's great, but then it's sometimes not. Randomly it will be slow as anything. No, I can't explain it, it's just a "feature" of OS X. Sometimes turning the airport off and back on helps, sometimes a reboot is required. You can take comfort that your MBP is at least prettier than his bargin bin Netbook though ;)

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've had a very positive experience with WiFi on my MBP. On my Dell laptop, I used to get roughly 5-7 Mbps, but I consistently get 20 Mbps on my MacBook. I'm on wireless G.

19. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

My 4G Mobile Broadband gets 32Mbps on my Mac and only 27 on my Windows machine but my Wi-fi is at 15Mbps on my Mac and 22 on my Windows.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

I love my school's internet connection:

On Wifi I get about 14Mbps down and 6.25 up on the same network, the above result is with ethernet.

Attached Files:

21. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

Ouch. This is my network at work which is on and off. Either painfully plodding or blistering fast. Less the latter, but usually respectable.

22. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Certainly not normal. I would get that checked out.

My 2010 Snow Leopard MBP had no issues whatsoever, however, my 2011 Lion MBP occasionally drops Wi-Fi signal and refuses to pick it up until I power cycle Airport.

23. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the connection is blaring on certain networks. On my home network, it is consistently so.

The connection at work has improved somewhat, but still leaves a lot to be desired:

[​IMG]