Macs May Be Getting 'Pro Mode' Option to Boost Performance, According to macOS Catalina Beta

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Macs could soon have the option for a "Pro Mode" that boosts performance according to data found in the macOS Catalina 10.15.3 beta.

Released in December, the beta contains code discovered by 9to5Mac that references an optional Pro Mode that appears to override fan speed limits and energy saving restrictions to improve performance. Code in the beta says "Apps may run faster, but battery life may decrease and fan noise may increase" when Pro Mode is turned on.

As with Do Not Disturb, Pro Mode is a temporary option that is set to turn off the next day after being enabled, likely to make sure Macs are running in optimal conditions.

The code found in the beta seems to suggest Pro Mode is coming to the 16-inch MacBook Pro, but MacRumors has also received an anonymous tip suggesting the Mac Pro will also get a Pro Mode option that will override maximum fan speed software limits for improved thermal performance.

More information on Pro Mode should be available when macOS Catalina 10.15.3 sees a release, provided this is the update where it will be introduced.

Article Link: Macs May Be Getting 'Pro Mode' Option to Boost Performance, According to macOS Catalina Beta

decisions

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2019
This seems like a good option, and the ability push performance of the processors in a way that that has acceptable consequences (to Apple) is likely a result of the redesigned internals of the 16". I really can't believe how little they had to increase the size of the laptop to get all these benefits and replace the keyboard. It seems to me that Jony Ive really mistook the finger for the moon by the end of his career at Apple.

IIGS User

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2019
When I hear "Pro mode" I don't think computer.

Guess "Pro" means something totally different in my world. Sigh....

Reactions: Naaaaak

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
This is good, it’d be like the battery saver mode on Windows. You can switch between high pref, balanced, and battery saver modes.

Reactions: will_is_here

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
I wish they would do a Pro mode that does away with all of the overly protective security prompts. I do a bit of web development (mostly a designer) and the constant security permissions are ****ing ridiculous.

I hope this doesn't mean Apple is going to start shipping throttled CPUs out of the box.

Appleman3546

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
So the Nintendo switch actually has a similar feature called boost mode that allows it to overclock for a short amount of time (mainly used for loading screens) but can only be utilized by devs instead of consumers. I’m interested to find out fully how much Apple would allow users to overclock the hardware

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Hopefully this means they will also shut down a lot of the background tasks on the Mac that we don't necessarily need running all the time. Or at least try to de-prioritize them more. I wouldn't mind at all if my 5K iMac at home with the Core i9 ramped its fans up to max to boost the speed. I have AirPods Pro now and the active noise cancellation makes it a non-issue for me. However, what I'm interested to see is how this would affect my iMac Pro at work which never makes a peep. Seems like it could have a lot of headroom.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I wish they would do a Pro mode that does away with all of the overly protective security prompts. I do a bit of web development (mostly a designer) and the constant security permissions are ****ing ridiculous.

I hope this doesn't mean Apple is going to start shipping throttled CPUs out of the box.
Turn off SIP.
I haven’t gotten a single prompt since the initial update.
- - Post merged: - -

Hopefully this means they will also shut down a lot of the background tasks on the Mac that we don't necessarily need running all the time. Or at least try to de-prioritize them more. I wouldn't mind at all if my 5K iMac at home with the Core i9 ramped its fans up to max to boost the speed. I have AirPods Pro now and the active noise cancellation makes it a non-issue for me. However, what I'm interested to see is how this would affect my iMac Pro at work which never makes a peep. Seems like it could have a lot of headroom.
No, this has nothing to do with that. This is just an energy setting to ignore battery life constraints and run it down faster.