MacUpdate Fall Bundle: 10 Mac Apps for $49.99

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 6, 2011.

1. MacRumors, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011

MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few times a year, MacRumors partners with MacUpdate to promote their Mac application bundle deal. Their latest bundle delivers at least 11 Mac applications for $49.99 (a $467.82 value if all purchased separately) including:

• Toast 11 Titanium ($99) - Burn CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs
    • Data Rescue 3 ($99) - Recover files and corrupt hard drives
    • FX Photo Studio Pro 2 ($39.99) - Post-processing photo editor with 159 effects
    • Fantastical ($19.99) - Natural language calender scheduling
    • iStat Menus 3 ($16) - Monitor your system from the menubar
    • PhoneView ($19.95) - Access your iPhone's voicemail, SMS, and more
    • Concealer ($19.95) - Stores information such as credit cards safely
    • EarthDesk 5 ($24.95) - Replaces your desktop picture with a realtime rendered image of Earth
    • Mellel 2 ($29) - Word processor for writers, scholars, technical writing and multilingual word processing
    • Bookends 11 ($99) - Bibliography/reference and information management system

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site. Buy all 10 apps for $49.99.

The first 10,000 buyers also get Printopia for free ($19 value).

Article Link: MacUpdate Fall Bundle: 10 Mac Apps for $49.99

2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

not too bad-

iStat menus, PhoneView and Toast sound nice. Bookends and concealer also sound cool. I may jump in..

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Looks good. Better than the past couple.

Do people use Toast anymore ? I've got Toast 10 but I haven't used it for a long time. Is version 11 worth it ?

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

5. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

I didn't even know there was a version 11 already.

I haven't downloaded the last 3 updates for version 10 yet. [rant] they really need to put in a self updater in the app, not require customers to create an account to download an update.[/rant]

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

If I don't use Toast, is there really any point in this bundle?

7. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Be careful here. The version in the bundle is NOT the PRO version!

I got burned in the previous bundle, which I bought to clean up audio files from vinyl, only to find out that the SoundSoap application is not included.

8. tray3 macrumors member

Not 12 Apps

Its 11 apps including Printopia, not 12.
    Good Bundle...

9. batchtaster macrumors 65816

I ditched Toast a long time ago because it made coaster after coaster, even with the latest update, even trying different media, standing well back and not even breathing near it. I estimate that eventually 80-90% of my burns resulted in coasters. In frustration and on the exact same computer, with the same (generic) blank DVDs and the same OS, I ran Burn. No more coasters, no more "sense error" failures. Problems vanished, never looked back. In 12 months I've not had a single failure, probably burned 150 discs in that time. Hybrids, copies, image files...

Considering a 33MB, free, open-source app bests it at performing its most rudimentary function (burn. a. disc.), Toast is a bloated, buggy piece of garbage and I'll never go near it ever again.

10. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I'm really considering this. I would like iStat Menus, Phoneview, concealer, FX Photo Studio, and Bookends, but could really care less about Toast 11 and Data Rescue 3. But what I really want is 1Password an Parallels (or Vmware), so I might just wait until the Winter bundle.

Also check out the BundleHunt, which has Tumult Hype, Divvy, TN3 Gallery, WriteRoom, LaunchBar, Color Schemer Studio, Wordpress themes, and more for $50. I am most likely buying it because I am doing lots of web design (including HTML5) recently.

11. OriginalMacRat macrumors 6502

VirtualBox is free.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

12. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Could be your hardware. I've been using Toast since v5 and coasters have been a rarity for me. I only use Verbatim discs. Most discs out there are made by a handful of manufacturers and even "brand name" ones can be the same garbage as the .02 generic brand. Also have to make sure the discs are fresh as they do "expire."

Of course I will agree that Toast's usefulness 4 month toward 2012 is limited because DVD-R, CD-R is one foot in the grave, but generally I have no complaints with it.

13. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

This is a good bundle. Mac Update's previous few have been getting too similar to each other.

This one is refreshing.

14. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Done, I think I can use most of that, and I get to support MacRumors... win win!!

Thanks!:D

15. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I have Toast 11 and I can tell you it sucks compared to v.10.

11 is only half-baked. They switched stuff around in the UI and now if feels like settings are hidden and the whole thing is just clunky. Worse, though, it doesn't remember settings. Say you don't want a 1995-style menu, well you need to find the setting and change it to "none" every single time you burn a disc.

The conversions don't work properly. I tried converting some files to pro res and no matter what I did, I couldn't use them natively in FCP (they have to be rendered).

If you're making a blu-ray, no matter what you name the thing, the finished disc will always be named "My Movie" which looks really professional!

These are only some of the things that annoy me about 11. V.10 is by far better. And I submitted all this in feedback to Roxio when 11 first launched. None of this stuff has been fixed, though, after four updates so far.

In other words, avoid 11 and get 10 if you can.

16. hubertpierce922 macrumors newbie

hubertpierce922

A good package but costly..

I had toast on my system and it used to always to crash . God knows why. :confused:

17. afd macrumors 65816

I've got most of these applications, though I have Toast 6 or 7, which still works so don't think I'll buy.
    Don't burn many DVDs any more but Toast works well with EyeTV if you want to pass a TV recording to someone.

18. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

these bundles typically come with single-machine licenses which are typically of no use to me since we have 3 macs in the house and buying 3 bundles is a bit costly. if they sold the family license or the "all your macs" license (like the mac app store) then i would be more interested.

19. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

20. blacka4 macrumors 6502

I think I might pick this one up when I get home.

I am having hardware issues with Toast 10 and my DVD burner. I think it might be heading south

21. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I just opened TT 10 and chose 'check for updates' which took me to an update (a combo) from their website, no account required... maybe they changed it since you checked?

22. BBQXXX macrumors member

Really thinking about getting this bundle. I always thought toast was the good burn software and I am surprised to see people unhappy with it. I would really like it for HD content and blu ray burning.

23. dvil15 macrumors newbie

24. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

This is the sort of stuff that you find free on computer mag dvds.
    They do this every year, and every year it's the same crap.

25. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

I thought about getting it because of the price, and then I realized I don't really need any of that :confused: