MacUpdate Holiday Mac Application Bundle for $49

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A few times a year, MacRumors partners with MacUpdate to promote their Mac application bundle deal. Their latest bundle delivers up to 10 Mac applications for $49.99 (a $447.96 value if all purchased separately) including:

- Drive Genius 2 ($99): diagnoses and repairs problems with your hard drive, optimizes your system, and more.
    - RapidWeaver 4 ($79): Create professional-looking Web sites quickly and easily.
    - DefaultFolder X 4 ($34.95): Fly through Open & Save dialog boxes at lightning speed.
    - VirusBarrier X 10.5 ($69.95): Fast, simple, and non-intrusive anti-virus software.
    - MacGourmet Deluxe ($44.95): Like iTunes for food, track recipes, plan meals, manage wines, and more.
    - LittleSnitch 2 ($29.95): Monitors your network connection to make sure your Mac only sends out what you want it to.
    - KeyCue 4 ($27): Displays full keyboard shortcuts for all your applications
    - MacPilot 3 ($19.95): Access hundreds of hidden features to customize and improve your Mac OS X experience.
    - WhatSize 4 ($12.99): Identify files that are hogging disk space.
    - iVolume 3 ($29.95): Ensures all your iTunes tracks play back at the same volume level.

Unlike in past promotions, there appears to be no unlocking requirement and all apps are available from day one. The sale lasts for two weeks.

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site.

Article Link: MacUpdate Holiday Mac Application Bundle for $49

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

That looks like a great deal.

Some of this software I might not want. Why would I want the antivirus software? I thought that my Mac is secure enough as it is. That's the whole reason I bought a Mac, so I could forget the slow antivirus software that makes a Computer running Windows slow.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Cool!

Nice line-up. I think I'll be getting this bundle!

Tnx, MacRumors and MacUpdate!

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Their Anit-Virus software is less intrusive, yet still effective - so it won't slow your system. There are very few, if not any working virus' for Mac OS X, but it's there incase. One can be made at anytime, there just aren't enough Mac users to be targeted by those who make the virus.

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I have to agree, but it not wholly for Mac viruses, its to help stop the spread of Windows viruses... I just installed ClamXAV since the 'Apple recommends anti-virus' news... granted that turned out to be old news but XAV has already detected and deleted a few coming in from my g/f's Windows laptop over some of our external harddrives.

At least their not offering McAfee or Norton which should be avoided like the plague.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I haven't seen a Mac virus since the late '90s. Because there are virually zero viruses for the Mac nowadays, I think Apple would be the first to take steps at the OS level to squash any new one that were to appear. A bunch of "exploits" have been found in the past 10 years or so, Apple hears of it and then quietly patches them with those Security Updates. It's amazing to me how Mac antivirus companies can still be taking in millions of dollars on their software for so long now.

EDIT: I never bother with these bundles, I have to say this one looks like a great deal though, I will probably jump on it.

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

That's good to know. As long as it doesn't slow down my Mac and helps protect it, I'm up for it.

Has anyone used Norton Anti-virus? If it's just as good, I'd rather go with it because it's free.

8. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I'd say the main point of anti-virus software on the mac right now is to avoid passing on viruses to windows users. That benefits everyone who uses the internet, as machines that are owned by botnets etc help cause more spam etc for everyone.

9. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

That's a common mistake people always come up when they talk about virus on Mac OS X. It's not the number of unit that is important, it's the structure of the OS itself that is the cause. It's done in a way that a virus just couldn't access to your root files and cause damage without your permission.

Another common mistake is that there's malware for Mac. Just make a little search in google and you will find a bunch. They're pretty much ineffective thought. No real thread from virus, although there's been one created that could infect Macs but was just experimental and was causing no damage. There's also been some trojans, that use iChat to infect other machines. So in sort, it's just useless for now to use anti-virus.

Norton is one of the worst, really.

10. The General macrumors 601

11. reubs macrumors 68000

Looks like a great deal. Been wanting to try out MacGourmet, and this seems like a good reason to give it a whirl.

12. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

And I of course bought iDive less than a week ago. Lucky me. :p

Looks like a decent bundle. A few duplicates from other bundles, but still worth considering.

13. rlmccormick macrumors regular

Great

Little Snitch + Drive Genius make this deal worth while. The antivirus on top of it is icing on the cake!
    I've been using Little Snitch 2 for a year or so and it is a great product.

14. MindBrain macrumors regular

Alot of those programs sound really useful, any comment on ones that work good or dont work good ?

15. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Why can't I just ignore these bundles? I don't even use RapidWeaver, and I have three licenses already I think. :rolleyes:

Ah, well, figure the Gourmet, the Snitch and the Genius made it worth $49.99.

16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Same here, I have two licenses after buying this bundle. I never use RapidWeaver. Is it legal to sell the copy?

Nuc

17. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I'll likely buy the bundle, but it sure would be nice to see a cost breakdown. Do the authors get anything, or is it one of those $5k fixed rate thingys, and whoever's behind these schemes banks in a few dozen grand?

18. reubs macrumors 68000

Well, I can't get to the pageto make the purchase. Anyone else having problems?

19. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I like these bundles, but I've read other people on the internets that feel burned by the fact that they're not eligible (or as eligible) for upgrades or bug fixes as compared to people who bought that single program straight out.

Of course, from the developer's point of a view, it's a "teaser" or "taster" price by being a part of a bundle, but if the upgrade eligibility path is not stated specifically, a lot of confusion and frustration could occur on both sides.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Page won't load for me either.

This looks like one I will take advantage of.

21. bielen macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can get minor updates for bug fixes?

22. pmax macrumors newbie

The site is down for me as well.

Everyone please quit hammering the site long enough for me to complete my purchase. Thanks :p

23. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Great deal to those who need this kind of software. I am not one of those people, but still...cool! :)

24. Jimmni macrumors member

Great bundle! This is possibly the best bundle so far. There's several I've been meaning to buy for a while, and several others I'll definitely get some use out of.

I'd definitely make good use of these, though I'd never buy them at their normal prices:
    - Drive Genius 2
    - RapidWeaver 4
    - MacPilot 3
    - WhatSize 4
    - iVolume 3

And these two have been near the top of my to-buy list for a long time!

- LittleSnitch 2
    - KeyCue 4

25. TitoC macrumors 6502

TitoC

Overall, a good bunch of Apps, especially for the price. But in my opinion, the real gem here is Little Snitch. If you don't know about this product, I suggest you you check it out. I do not run any of my machines without it. To me, this product is the real barrier to phishing scams and any other device, server, software, etc. that wants to "talk" to my machine through any given port. It not only alerts you, but tells you who is asking to get in, through what port as well as letting you set rules and if these rules are permanent or not.

It originally got its roots from people (ahem - people with "unlicensed" applications) wanting software that would detect when apps would "call home" to detect if that said application had a legitimate license (hence the name "Little Snitch"). But it has so many other uses these days. So many.