Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
Can't you put a cheap boot screen card like a GT120 in your Mac for the few occasions you need them and use a performance card the rest of the time? Trusting that much money to somebody with notoriously bad customer service seems like a recipe for disaster.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I've been giving him 1-2 weeks for over a month now. I don't want to hunt him down. I have a card that functions as originally intended, only I paid a $200 premium for this used card. I don't want a refund.

I want a card that works with the Mac EFI for boot screens, etc. That's what I paid for.

Repeated emails have done nothing. I doubt appealing to his sense of decency or trying to shame him in forums will prod him to action. It's not looking likely that he will do anything at all. It is more likely that someone out there may be willing to dump the firmware and send it to me, so that's what I'm hoping for, and asking for. Eventually, if someone is willing to share, I will have the card I paid for.

Simple and clear.

I doubt for some reason that anyone is going to hand over the Rom. I honestly think your best bet is dealing with him. And I can also guarantee that he won’t just be emailing you the rom either, no matter how well intended.

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
You can be sure that he's implemented some measures to prevent average joe from dumping his ROMs and flashing it to other cards.

Your best bet is to try contacting him again, either on official ways or at netkas.org (I've seen he's posted there yesterday). Don't know what's wrong with him, maybe he's been sick or other personal trouble.

But I think it's quite obvious that his MVC business is slowly fading out. The last cMP will drop out of official support sooner than later, so there's not much left for him to do.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
The last cMP will drop out of official support sooner than later, so there's not much left for him to do.

Uh yeah...time slowly come....but we have minor bump 2012 models...so probably it still can reached 2019 at least before all cheese grater (2009/2010/2012) entirely dropped. Even I'm not sure next version macOS (i should call OS X) will come to cheese grater.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Sorry if this is dumb question but do we really need the BOOT screen. Does the screen come to life after start up?

I have an official EVGA GTX680 Mac Edition so mine always kicks back to the Mac OS if it needs to automatically.

Also I don't get the Brand Issue with GPUs. Lots of GPU Brands selling video cards which which seem to have the same chip set but different color case a box with a cool monster but the drivers come from a totally separate company. Is anyone else confused by this?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Sorry if this is dumb question but do we really need the BOOT screen.

Some say not really. I disagree. You need a boot screen if:

1. You update firmware.

2. You ever use startup manager.

3. having the Mac EFI makes it much easier to upgrade Nvidia Web Drivers.

Lou

Reactions: TheStork

esatamacmodular

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
To put that in perspective - a non-flashed card in a cMP booting into windows is going to have the same available bandwidth as a card in a TB3 eGPU.

PCI1x16 = PCI2x8 = PCI3x4 iirc.

what about a non-flashed card on a z170 motherboard hackintosh booting into windows or mac os 10.12+. Can I get the full speed of my PCIe 3.0 x16 slot? I realize there would be no boot screen because of web drivers.

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
what about a non-flashed card on a z170 motherboard hackintosh booting into windows or mac os 10.12+. Can I get the full speed of my PCIe 3.0 x16 slot? I realize there would be no boot screen because of web drivers.

Yes, in a PC with z170/z270/z370 board you will get the full speed of the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, in Windows and MacOS 10.12+:
CUDA_Z.png

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Also I don't get the Brand Issue with GPUs. Lots of GPU Brands selling video cards which which seem to have the same chip set but different color case a box with a cool monster but the drivers come from a totally separate company. Is anyone else confused by this?

Many of those manufacturers do not just "copy/paste" from the NVIDIA reference design. They change things throughout either for cost cutting, performance improvements, adding or changing ports, overclocking, etc.

Easiest thing to look for these days may be an NVIDIA logo on the GPU board. Those are supposed to be identical to the reference design.

The NVIDIA Web Drivers (from what many understand) are written to support reference designs, not those variations. Getting a GPU as close to the reference design is recommended for Mac. Unlike the PC world, there are not thousands of GPU drivers readily available for download to try and test for each particular GPU.

Personally, this is why I went with a GTX 1080 Founders Edition directly built by NVIDIA when I upgraded from the EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition.

William_si

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2016
Croatia
They're thankful for the extra sales but they keep the driver in beta so they don't have to give proper support.

In that case it is perfectly understandable that people will hack their firmware to make the cards work better with the old Mac Pro.

It is more likely the economics that the market hurt is...nil. The users that do not get a flashed Pascal card will not go out and buy a supported Quadro simply because of the price tag. There is no loss that Nvidia feels directly, so there is not much incentive to care. Older patches are public so limiting access to them is especially in the US very hard and absolutely not worth it.

You can be sure that he's implemented some measures to prevent average joe from dumping his ROMs and flashing it to other cards.

It is not that complex, especially if you have access to design partner tools (these boost clocks go into the card at Asus and not Nvidia, and Nvidia does not really offer high level binned SKUs so you'll end up with dev hardware to do this as well). They are not really restricted by logins/server based or written in a way that allows the result to be trackable - the average ranked LN2 GPU overclocker probably has a bunch of them.

HE cannot really implement much anyway because else you pretty much imply he has source code and compilers, which would certainly violate Nvidia copyright...

The NVIDIA Web Drivers (from what many understand) are written to support reference designs, not those variations

The Nvidia web drivers are written to support specific GPUs, not card designs (which it is barely aware of outside of boost clocks/voltage) - the fan(s) and pump (if any) can be affected by this, but not how the card works ultimately - the DIE goes direct to the PCIe slot in the end. This is not rocket science and Nvidia is very restrictive what board partners can do.

Some E-bayer does it, but i don't know if MVC dumped one or not.

He apparently tried to bully some claiming copyright which especially on GCN cards is far fetched considering you could, uh, patch it yourself (yea i know the origin of the patch, but it does not matter).

For EU this is pretty irrelevant as the copyright claim for the changes, changed ROM, or pretty much anything is just not how our copyright law/legal system works, and i still stand to my claim that i happily want to see this in court.

What he does is IMO not exactly US illegal at this time, but claiming copyright is along with the charged prices and crappy service just bad.

----

Let's also be clear - the EFI is not just changed by a few bits in most cases for Nvidia; sometimes things come from the Quadro line which under US law might qualify as stolen total, not a new product by own changes.

He is certainly not the only one that can patch Pascal cards (uhhh), but the ones that can do not want to touch selling or even releasing the patches as the legal complexity is just... not worth the time and effort.

Commercial usage (selling patching services, or patched cards, or even the patcher) on GCN is also legally questionable since the source are again Mac edition cards and you do *not* just change IamMac=1 in your existing.

EddieK420

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Hey guys. I have bought a brand new GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition from Nvidia back in March 2017. I had no issues gaming under Windows 10 Bootcamp on my Mac Pro 5,1.

In September 2017 I sent the card to MacVidCards for Mac EFI flashing. First I sent it in my original GTX 1080Ti box and he sent my card back in a GTX 1070 box. I asked for my original box several times to no avail.

Also my computer is now freezing when gaming under Windows 10 (Bootcamp). I didn’t have any freezing issues before the Mac EFI flashing. Now I can only game for about 10 or 20 minutes before the computer freezes.

Did any of you guys experience freezing under Windows after the EFI flashing?

Is the flashing process reversible?

Could it be my PSU? The computer is old

UPDATE: I tried everything I removed my Pixlas mod :( I have replaced the PSU only to still have the Mac Pro freeze when gaming under Windows. So I returned the new PSU and reinstalled the original one. I had done a CPU upgrade on this Mac Pro installing 2 x 6-core 3.05ghz xeons. I noticed that when using MacFansControl the computer would not freeze. I used the “spread method” with the thermal paste. So I removed the heatsink cleaned everything with isopropyl and reapplied the artic silver 5 thermal paste using the “rice grain method” and the computer is working perfect no longer freezes when gaming under Windows. Everything is working perfect

I wanted to make that clear and I am also very happy with the flashing service from MacVidCards. It’s great to have a flashed GTX 1080Ti w bootscreen support you can do OS updates on easily. Even though he never returned my original nvidia box lol

Last edited:

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I have a question for all you naysayers. What if EVGA or MSI did what MVC does, and sold the card as a Mac Edition?

Lou

I assume you bring this up as an ethical or legal issue, but utterly disregarding that my practical answer would be, hell yeah!

MVC was a valuable source of knowledge on this forum who made his position here untenable with his infantile conduct. It was sad to see him go down.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Hps1

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2017
I'd just like to add my experience with MVC. My order arrived within a week, which was great. But instead of it being a new Nvidia card, it is an obviously heavily used (at least cosmetically) ASUS model. Which isn't so great. The site said "may have a different fan" so I just assumed it might be a non blower type, or other brand, but definitely not used.

I paid the extra $400 over RRP because the cards are scarce and I needed it for a job. For a little extra I could've picked one up brand new from Micro Center. Gutted. Will not shop there again.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I'd just like to add my experience with MVC. My order arrived within a week, which was great. But instead of it being a new Nvidia card, it is an obviously heavily used (at least cosmetically) ASUS model. Which isn't so great. The site said "may have a different fan" so I just assumed it might be a non blower type, or other brand, but definitely not used.

I paid the extra $400 over RRP because the cards are scarce and I needed it for a job. For a little extra I could've picked one up brand new from Micro Center. Gutted. Will not shop there again.

in MVCs defence

upload_2018-3-10_6-38-41.png

Reactions: h9826790

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Uh yeah...time slowly come....but we have minor bump 2012 models...so probably it still can reached 2019 at least before all cheese grater (2009/2010/2012) entirely dropped. Even I'm not sure next version macOS (i should call OS X) will come to cheese grater.

Doubtful MP 2012 will reach 2019 with supported OS. Discontinuing manufacturer ( for just-in-time manufacturing that roughly ties up with for sale) is a trigger point for vintage status. The 2012 unit stopped selling in EU in March 2013 ( https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/3...fective-march-1-over-regulatory-requirements/). Apple stopped selling in rest of the world when did the more formal announcement in October 22 2013 ( inventory already present sold, but Apple pulled it from online store. ) https://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/2...ing-in-december-comes-with-xeon-e5-processor/ So given the capacity glut with the early EU termination, there is very solid chance Apple stopped making those in July-August time frame, but conservatively can take October as last manufacture date.

If macOS 10.15 ( presuming 10.14 arrives in October '18) comes in October '19, it is extremely unlikely that Apple will target a Mac Pro that is going on the vintage/obsolete list in October '19. The Mac Pro 2009 and 2010 are already on the Vintage/Obsolete list. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624 The 2012 is same model number as the 2010. So it is teetering on the edge right now. 2013+5 = 2018. If Apple released a new Mac Pro before October 2018, the MP 2012 making the 10.14 keep list would be highly doubtful. I suspect Apple is targeting later though ( earliest Nov or Dec 2018) for a new Mac Pro so to keep some transition time they may hand wave the MP 2012 past for macOS 10.14 (if orders open early before availability then probably not). If they are stumbling into early 2019 then it is a bit more likely to hand wave it through. However, by Fall 2019... it is almost a complete lock are on vintage list (whether Apple had anything or not. )

[ Even if Apple bump rushes macOS 10.14 out the door in late September to get some balance line bonus before the end of Quarter, it is still close enough not to warrant an OS release for less than a month. It would likely get cut if the system update schedule was so morbid over last 3 years. Given Apple is supposedly shooing for a more solid release this time, October would be better than late September. ]

The 2012 model is really a 2010 model. It was 3 years before got a substantive replacement. Another 5 years, that is 8. When Apple updated on yearly basis, 7+1 was the max range. Yes, it is substantially Apple's fault for the 3 year gap, but their component suppliers are dropping parts all along too. The MP 2012 not being on the vintage list now is the "bonus"/"stoppage" time.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddieK420 and frou

binba

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
This thread has been idle for a while, but I've also been having customer service pains with him. Between my personal work and companies I've worked for, this is actually the 3rd card I've purchased from him. I love the native support, but I'd give the first 2 I bought "95% reliability"... and the last one has been unusable. I'm on a Radeon RX580 which has been working much, much better, and my MVC-flashed GTX970 is sitting in a box.

He's definitely acting like a company, from the storefront (now with EU dealers), and charging a rate commensurate with a product, not a "pack of beer". So I'm expecting a certain level of customer service above 'none'...

I've had various questions for him, been trying to get responses via email since April... crickets. Had slightly more luck via netkas but still no resolution or help. He charges through Paypal, they have a very client-generous policy for refunds or chargebacks, but I'm trying to resolve this in a productive and honest way.

Will update.

JeffreyA

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2018

Your best bet is to try contacting him again, either on official ways or at netkas.org (I've seen he's posted there yesterday). Don't know what's wrong with him, maybe he's been sick or other personal trouble.

But I think it's quite obvious that his MVC business is slowly fading out. The last cMP will drop out of official support sooner than later, so there's not much left for him to do.
No, that's not true! I can assure you that MVC has zero (at least significant) measures to prevent dumping of the ROM. Even if he has some type of software lock like he seemed to have on the 780, that won't stop people with an eprom programmer. The only was MVC would have a chance at stopping the rom from being dumped would be to prevent physical access to the ROM chip itself. Which is impossible since you would own the card and have physical access to it.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
This thread has been idle for a while, but I've also been having customer service pains with him. Between my personal work and companies I've worked for, this is actually the 3rd card I've purchased from him. I love the native support, but I'd give the first 2 I bought "95% reliability"... and the last one has been unusable. I'm on a Radeon RX580 which has been working much, much better, and my MVC-flashed GTX970 is sitting in a box.

He's definitely acting like a company, from the storefront (now with EU dealers), and charging a rate commensurate with a product, not a "pack of beer". So I'm expecting a certain level of customer service above 'none'...

I've had various questions for him, been trying to get responses via email since April... crickets. Had slightly more luck via netkas but still no resolution or help. He charges through Paypal, they have a very client-generous policy for refunds or chargebacks, but I'm trying to resolve this in a productive and honest way.

Will update.

Why not reply to one of his posts on Netkas.org. I’m sure he will respond quickly, for everyone to see. He is banned from posting on CNN. Whoops I meant Macrumors.

Last edited:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I came *really* close to buying one of his cards for a 2012 Mac Pro tower my work owned, that needed some upgrades to keep it viable for the video/photo editing work people were using it for. (It reached a point where it was just sitting on the desk, unplugged, because our users had better luck using their modern Macbook Pro laptops for the work than bothering with it.)

Ultimately? We just decided to "end of life" the Mac Pro instead. By the time you looked at the fact it really needed more RAM, plus the cost of one of these flashed video cards (which would already be used and with a really questionable warranty if it failed), it just didn't make good financial sense. The base model 2018 iMac Pro was regularly on sale for $1,000 off at stores like Micro Center, making it a far superior investment. (Will work with new OS X releases for the next few years without any hassles. New warranty coverage. Really nice display panel. Newer generation of processor. Modern set of ports.)

It's sad to see the classic Mac Pro towers go obsolete, but really - their days are numbered at this point. I'm using a 2008 model right now to write this message -- but that's only because the "geek" in me wanted to preserve this one from going in the trash. Even with hacks, I can never use an OS X release on it newer than El Capitan -- and I have to keep hiding a security update patch that breaks the hack that keeps it going. It's not practical anymore, except as a curiosity.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
It sounds like once he’s got your money he has no motivation. It seems he’s super quick to attack people who share his roms though. I think it’s kind of ridiculous to attack someone for sharing a rom that is already being used by sellers on eBay. If it’s out in the open then that could reduce his competition. By trying to protect himself he’s also protecting those pirates. Also, a lot of people don’t like to flash a card themself. That’s why a flashed GTX 680 often sells for double the price of a non-flashed 680 on eBay, even though the rom is publicly available. So I think if he made his roms available he would still be selling cards and flashing services.

Hps1

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2017
Might anyone recommend a good place/forum to sell an MVC flashed GPU?

...Is this sort of question taboo here?

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Craigslist & eBay.
[doublepost=1532548433][/doublepost]It looks like this all won't matter much soon anyways now that we've discovered Nvidia GPUs are crippled in Mojave compared to AMD GPUs. They don't support the family 2 v1 Metal feature set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.