Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
BusinessToday brings more reports of a MacWorld return to Boston. Trade show organizer, Charlie Greco seems serious about the move back to Boston:

Macworld's organizer said yesterday that he is willing to bring in two cruise ships as makeshift hotels if local hoteliers don't meet pricing requests for the huge trade show.

Fresh off his first meeting with Mayor Thomas M. Menino, trade show organizer Charlie Greco said Boston is ``very close'' to landing Macworld back in the Hub.

Based on comments in the article, it appears that such extreme measures will not be necessary... but if you live in New York, it's looking more likely that your MacWorld days are numbered.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Excellent, some of my relatives have an apartment in the North End that I could possibly stay in, and some others live in Newton. That would make it much cheaper for me to go to the Expo. Of course, at my current job I watch the expo in a big auditorium with a sat. feed. that is probably a better view of the show then if I actually went to to the show.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Sure, Boston might be as accesible as New York for people from within the US, but what about international people? New York is much more accesible, and tickets come at MUCH MUCH lower prices. Anyways, I am one, along with quite a few others I know, who would be very disappointed if this happens.

irmongoose

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
With the threat of the cruise ships as floating hotels/exhibition space, its seems that the organizers are quite serious about bringing it back to Boston. What I'd love to know is how much Apple and Steve Jobs are involved in this - if at all.

And there is that GeekCruise, so it wouldn't be the first time have a floating Mac
Expo...

http://www.geekcruises.com/home/mm2_home.html

D

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Ugh, I say keep it in newyork, it allows people from boston and and dc to get there easy otherwise it would be a 6 hour trip each way which I woulnd't take.. spelling int his post is crap cause I'm tired lol

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Whatever

Originally posted by skunk
I don't care if it's on Mars, as long as Mr Jobs produces the goods....:)

very good point - see as though I don't think I'll be going either way, it doesn't really matter where it is. I certainly hope by next year at MWNY/Boston there is something to get excited about. IBM and the Power4 would be nice.....

oranjdisc

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2002
Boo hiss. Keep it in NY. No offense to Bostonians, but Boston can't hold a candle to New York. There is life outside of MacWorld when visiting a city you know, and New York has it in spades. A much bettter hosting city, IMO.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Gah! No more MWNY?:eek: In NY, I have a place to stay in the form of my Grandparents' house. In Boston, I would have to get a hotel. Oh, well. I guess I'll be going to MWSF then (shorter plane ride from L.A.)

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by oranjdisc
Boo hiss. Keep it in NY. No offense to Bostonians, but Boston can't hold a candle to New York. There is life outside of MacWorld when visiting a city you know, and New York has it in spades. A much bettter hosting city, IMO.

Not when NY's perpetually skyrocketing pricing is forcing more and more show exhibitors to abandon their booths, you're eventually not going to have a Macworld at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.