Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Cristian provides info on MacWorld Chile 2002 - April 4th and 5th:

Apple Chile released a newspaper ad (image here), promoting Macworld Chile 2002. One of the demonstrations include (direct translation): Quicktime 6.0, the platform to produce dynamic interactive content. Quicktime Player, TV and Web. How to record DVDs with iDVD and DVD Studio Pro.

Demos: Livestage Pro, Cleaner 5.0, Sorenson, MPEG 4, FinalCut Pro, Quicktime Streaming, Quicktime Broadcaster.

As well, there have been unverified rumors of an April 2 Apple Event.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I posted this in the other thread about MacWorld Chile, but here goes again:

http://www.mpegla.com/mpeg4/news_release28Mar02.html

These two sentences pretty much say everything in terms of where they stand right now:
MPEG LA will meet with the patent holders again in late April, and will provide further guidance to the marketplace as soon as possible following that meeting. Everyone is working with all speed, but because of the challenge posed by the effort to produce a joint licensing program requiring a consensus among at least 18 different patent owners and the yet undetermined future implementations and applications of the emerging MPEG-4 Visual technology, it will take additional time to complete this process.

I think a demo similar to Quicktime Live is more likely for next week.
As for the 2nd...who knows...I'm waiting to see what happens.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
As i posted on the other thread, I'll call Apple tomorrow and find out more about the Expo, to find out if the DVD Studio Pro is going to be in Mac OS X.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
mac world chile???

if they've got a mw chile, why the hell isn't there a mac world australia already??!! The future of Apple Australia has been discussed before on these forums and a well-promoted MW Australia would really boost apple australia...

i would have thought that apple australia would be a bit more important than apple chile (whos website still reads (C) 2001)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Apple doesn't care about Australia. Not even Apple Australia cares about Australia. You should have realised that by now!

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Chile was once a huge market for Apple. They won a project to equip virtually all schools with macs, several years ago. Of course, they lost most of their market share some years ago due to several consecutive mistakes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be considered. And the fact that the website reads c 2001 surely doesn't make us less important than any other country! I think the fact of making or not Macworlds depends into some extent of the people in charge of Apple in each country.

desmosedici

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2002
mw australia

it died in the early 90's. no one went.
they have a large stand at smpte and dmw.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
MWChile, who'd a thought. They seem to have a lot of coffee breaks scheduled? Any one know of someone who's going? There going to be any pics?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Normally I would not suggest it BUT, how about a new powerbook? Apple knows that people expect to get new machines in January + July + maybe August/September. However, not at this expo!!! They might want to suprise people + help relieve anticipation for July?? Probably not though.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Previously posted by Falleron
Normally I would not suggest it BUT, how about a new powerbook? Apple knows that people expect to get new machines in January + July + maybe August/September. However, not at this expo!!! They might want to suprise people + help relieve anticipation for July?? Probably not though.

I think that Apple cannot afford to hold off the Powerbook Rev. C much longer. Otherwise, Apple iBook sales would completely shut down Powerbook sales, because of how close the MHz to MHz ratio is. (I know, the MHz Myth. But even this fast G3 still reuns pretty well with OS X.) If Apple were to come out with a Powerbook update in July, it would probably be to late, and iBooks would become primary.

Still waiting for chrome? Let's see what happens.

pixelpete

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Macworld Chile $$$$

First off to King Cobra,
16 years old and riding the bull. Sorry but your wrong the MHZ between ibook & Ti book are not close unless you come from a PC family. The processor is what makes a huge differnence.Check your specs Bull Boy. People with money aren't going to spend $1100 on a 12" ibook when they can afford top of the line Ti book. Get real. You think an Art director is going to pull out his ibook proudly? Doubt It. Mark my words. APP certified.
The only thing that might happen
1. Of Course some blue tooth technology.
2. Price of LCD may go up or down. Earthquake Taiwan!
3. Steve will be wearing a black turtleneck and blue jeans. You go Steve!!

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
with midterm announcements becoming the norm, anything can happen and i would like to see at least a speed bump for powerbook in the near future

when?...that is anyone's guess, but asap

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Hey, you guys in Australia make your own Expo! Thats what we did in the UK, Apple cancelled 2 expos in a row. So the mac community got angry and started 'MacExpo' this year will be its 3rd (Its in November)

The first year Apple didn't come but last year they did, and they were interested (we get about 22000 people there)

Check out http://www.macexpo.com/ I will post more l8er

Ensign

alsina

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
Just wanted to let you guys know that the event at Chile —it's actually called Mac Mundo Chile 2002— it's not a hoax: I talked with a member of the local MUG and he not only confirmed the event but extended some comments about the activity and will send me some photos of the expo and conference as soon as he have some.
You can read all about it —it's in spanish— at the news site http://www.diariox.com.

UniStudent20

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2002
I'll be there!

I will be at the show for sure, I'll try to post pictures. If anyone sees a semi-overweight 23 year old with a shaved head, say hi :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.