Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Apologies in advance if i've posted this in the wrong section. Just got my invite, which I signed up for in January.

mua5qo.png

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I can't see MacWorld existing beyond this one with no Apple involvement.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I've never been to one - but I would imagine that less people from other countries would now travel to SF for this event. I would expect locals to attend.

I for sure will attend if it goes ahead, which is looking quite possible from this e-mail.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Macworld Expo 2010 to be Held February 9th-13th

IDG announced today on its Macworld Expo page and in an e-mail to previous attendees that the 2010 event will take place from February 9th through 13th at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.
IDG World Expo announced today that Macworld will be moving from its traditional January event dates to February 9 - 13, 2010. The location will remain at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA.

As we began the planning process for 2010, the Mac community - exhibitors, attendees, media and fans of the show - made it clear that February would be a more ideal time to hold the event, so we listened. The Conference programs are scheduled for Tuesday through Saturday, February 9 - 13 and the Expo will be held Thursday through Saturday, February 11-13th.
Apple previously announced that 2009 would be their final year participating in Macworld Expo.

Article Link: Macworld Expo 2010 to be Held February 9th-13th

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Ya it is a shame that Apple wont be there. I guess I will keep my expectations focused on the WWDC...

or just on their own internal timelines for announcing new products - their stated reason for not participating anymore. it just didn't make sense to keep shelling out big bucks for an outdated system.

Apple iKid

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Colorado
or just on their own internal timelines for announcing new products - their stated reason for not participating anymore. it just didn't make sense to keep shelling out big bucks for an outdated system.

Of course. It doesnt really matter in the end where they release new products, it just matters that they do. I will still be excited.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
....Why does everyone think this is going to die?

Its a trade show devoted to macs, people will attend with or without apple. Its kinda like any other trade show....

Apple iKid

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Colorado

Its a trade show devoted to macs, people will attend with or without apple. Its kinda like any other trade show....

I agree with you. It is a pretty big loss that Apple wont be there, but people will still go.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

You answered your own question. Trade shows are pretty much dying off all over. There just isn't a compelling case to be made for them anymore, now that we've got this new-fangled intarweb.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You answered your own question. Trade shows are pretty much dying off all over. There just isn't a compelling case to be made for them anymore, now that we've got this new-fangled intarweb.

Yet there are still many many many yearly events that diehards love (think trek convention types) and go to. Attendance may fall off a bit and the event may not be a massive to do anymore, but many of them are surviving in smaller forms.

I don't think Macworld will die off entirely, just change a bit to accomodate its new role.

Apple iKid

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Colorado
Or maybe not. Maybe there is a common ground that the Die-Hards will still go, but it will just become smaller.

Thats my final answer.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Or maybe not. Maybe there is a common ground that the Die-Hards will still go, but it will just become smaller.

It has already been smaller since 9/11.

Before 9/11 the expo took up BOTH the north and south halls.

Vendors decided at the time to focus on using the web for customer interaction.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

Macworld New York/Boston died after Apple pulled out. Apple Expo Paris was cancelled this year after Apple pulled out.

IDG certainly has their hands full trying to keep this going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.