Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld Expo Boston 2005 kicks off next week from July 11th-14th 2005 in Boston, MA in the Hynes Convention Center.

Macworld Boston is the mid-year counterpart to Macworld San Francisco which takes place in January. Historically both Macworld expos have been significant launching grounds for new Apple products.

In recent years however, the emphasis on the summer expo has lessened after a disagreement between IDG and Apple about the move of the conference back to Boston from New York in 2004. As a result, Apple's role in the July conference has been limited and surrounding press/excitement minimal.

The event is not even listed on Apple's upcoming events page. The next major consumer expo will be Apple Expo Paris which takes place on Sept 20-24 2005.

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
Have they ever released something substantial recently at a Macworld Boston?
At least in the last years, it doesn't seem so.

unknownfairy

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2005
Australia/UK
Or MAYBE they're just lulling us into this false sense of (hmm... security seems to be the word that should go here, but I think I mean calmness) with all the non-even talk and then...

WHAM - They'll his us with all new product announcements.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
If Apple doesn't show up at a expo, it's not really worth a trip. If I can get into the expo for free, I might head there, but otherwise, it's not really worth going.

MP

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MacWorld Boston just happens to be back home. the place that it originated. It is Apple that has abandoned the Expo. Still a good place to network with fellow Mac users. I'm looking forward to the keynote by David Pogue.

jcampa

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2003
Mexico
MacWorld Boston

I can't believe it, so there's no new hardware at the show? No new Powerbooks? Do we have to wait until Paris?
I know what you maybe think, if you need a PB buy it now, but the iMac already has a G5 processor, so why spent that money for a "professional" laptop, if I can buy a "cheaper" computer at a very low price compared with the PB, I know portability, but that difference of money it's not worth for me.
If I buy a PB right now it will be obsolete in a very short time, don't you think?
Please give me advice.

Thanks.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
jcampa said:
I can't believe it, so there's no new hardware at the show? No new Powerbooks? Do we have to wait until Paris?
I know what you maybe think, if you need a PB buy it now, but the iMac already has a G5 processor, so why spent that money for a "professional" laptop, if I can buy a "cheaper" computer at a very low price compared with the PB, I know portability, but that difference of money it's not worth for me.
If I buy a PB right now it will be obsolete in a very short time, don't you think?
Please give me advice.

Thanks.

No, it wouldn't be obsolete in a short time. Apple will support the PPC for at least 3 - 5 years after the switch to Intel. It would be best to wait for Rev. B so that the problems are worked out. Also by then software should be compatible from 3rd party developers. If you are in need now, then purchase now. You will have that time to enjoy you Mac.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm still going to the conference with my girlfriend. I had a good time last year even without Apple there and we have friends who live in Boston so it will be nice to see them as well.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
It's a shame that Apple turned its back on what was once a big NE Mac showcase event. Whether you think MW Boston is pointless without Apple or not, Boston is a GREAT town to visit. We had lots of fun there a few years back. I highly reccommend you visit sometime.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
aricher said:
MW Boston is irrelevant. They should have listened to Apple and kept in in NYC.

well, it's not that convention organizers have to do what apple wants. Apple should be glad to have somebody organize a convention. and they should be happy to have a place to show and advertise their products.

it's typical apple arrogance to think the developers and customers have to beg for their presence on a meeting. with 3% market share and a major processor switch some puplic relations efforts would be in order.

probably when sales go down because of the switch and ipod sales reach a plateau Apple starts to appreciate good marketing.....

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
What a bunch of babies.

Personally, I don't think that MW Boston is irrelevant just because Apple itself is not present. What are they going to do, show off the same stuff we see all the time at the Apple stores?

There are still third-party vendors and I'm sure there's a bunch of other stuff available -- calling it irrelevant is just silly.

Fishes,
narco.

clonenode

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2002
Big changes have happened at Apple in the two years since MacWorld "East" went back to Boston; they launched the retail stores. While it may be a convenient excuse, it really makes sense that the kind of foot traffic they used to get at one trade show now happens everyday across the country at the stores. They don't NEED MacWorld Boston to promote things and give people a hands on experience.

Capn_Moho

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
Tempe, AZ
wdlove said:
I'm looking forward to the keynote by David Pogue.

It looks like it's Andy Ihnatko, according to the keynote list.

I find it quite sad; there used to be two important Mac consumer conferences a year in the US, now there is one (maybe +1 if you include WWDC, but this year's announcement from Apple went squarely to the D for Developer). For example, take a look at the Boston exhibiter list--and compare to the list for SF. It's half the size. Even outside of Apple, third-party announcements will probably be few and limited in scope.

If this keeps up, I fear that MacWorld Boston will soon cease to exist.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
I bet its difficult for Apple to constantly release new hardware every 3 months to an angry awaiting mob. If my company had to do this we would be dying. That said. RELEASE THE DUAL DUAL G5 NOW! Oh, and 10.4.2.

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
jcampa said:
Please give me advice.

Thanks.

B/c iMacs don't work very well in the confines of an airline seat.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
It's true, Apple was acting very childish during the whole fiasco, as was IDG. But the problem is that Apple was holding the cards. It may be tough to admit, but the screaming baby that was Apple should have gotten his way. Look what has happened to the conference. The first year after Apple left it everyone was still there except Apple, including Microsoft, Adobe, etc. But now none of those huge players are there.

The summer Macworld (whether it be in Boston or NY) is no longer important for the simple reasion that Apple is not there. Who cares if Apple was acting like a baby; sometimes the baby needs to get his way.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
My immediate superior is making me go to MacWorld in Boston next Wednesday. Joy.

Sorry, but I'm just not at all excited about it... although we are in the business of looking into high quality laser printers and maybe Xerox will show us something we don't know already.

Maybe. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.