Mad about 17" price drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mark2000, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

I ordered my 17" MBP in January. I didn't get it until mid March. Now its not just bumped up in specs, but its $300 cheaper than what I paid for it. Am I allowed to be mad? Should I do something about it? What about anyone else?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

No & No.

It's technology, it gets cheaper and more advanced everyday...

3. Mark2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Mark2000

Not after three months and a huge delay. If I got my machine in late Jan when promised I wouldn't be mad at all, but come on. Apple put me through too much **** to put up with this.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Maybe you could start a huge protest like those idiots did when the iPhone dropped in price. Maybe Apple will be (sym)pathetic and fold to your demands again.

5. Sn0wball macrumors regular

If you weren't mad for what you paid for it, when you paid for it, then there's no problem.

Pay what something is worth when you need it.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

mad about a price drop?:confused: i dunno if you live your life on what "could have been" your not going to get very far.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Sure its normal to feel bad when you lose out..

8. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

It's not really the price drop that upsets me but the fact that they updated the processor in such a short period of time. The reason why I buy macs are for the software, the quality and the fact that they don't update their processors every 3 months like sony, hp and others do.

The price drop was a huge bite in the a$$ for sure...

9. Mark2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Mark2000

I ordered it 2 months before I got it. It was worth that price when it was supposed to be released, not when it actually was.

10. brave5213 macrumors regular

do i have a chance to get any refund? because i bought my mbp 7 weeks ago...

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

probably not but it never hurts to ask. just be friendly but firm as i always say.

12. bugout macrumors 6502a

13. Peikko macrumors newbie

There's no relation between the two events - your delay and the price drop. There is nothing about today's price drop that objectively furthers the trouble you've gone through because of the delay. The only way you could be justified in being angry about this repricing is if the two months' delay would've somehow forced you to buy your machine before today, as in "if my shipment hadn't been delayed, I could've taken advantage of today's better offer" - as you can see, the concept is so absurd that it's difficult to express it clearly.

To put is simply, you have every right to be irritated with the initial delay, but today's price updates do not tie in with that in any way. The only "hindrance" that has resulted from the combination of these two distinct events is that you've had less time to enjoy the concept of owning an expensive "cutting edge" machine (if that's what you considered it when you placed the order), but that's hardly a practical consideration.

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

All i can say is DUH. 1st rule of buying, dont buy the first gen/product that comes out. Wait for the update, and its usually less buggy and more stable.

15. modular macrumors regular

word! im extremely happy about the price drop, i can buy one now!

the 17" 2.93 was 3100 yesterday, the 17" 2.8 is 2499 today. I'm going to save $600!!

glad i waited till wwdc. :)

16. speed3 macrumors newbie

Peikko, your elegant, professional prose is a welcome ray of sunshine in this forum. In fact, you write like an attorney . . .

17. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I got my UMBP on April 13th. Been using it since then. So it's cheaper. Big deal. You *know* thats how things work out.

Get over it.

Tom

18. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

19. HBOC macrumors 68020

i bought my MBP a few days after the uni's were announced. The price went from $2500 to $1599. That was with student discount. I went into best buy a week after that, and the same model i bought was still $2399. I have a matte screen too:) I am very happy with mine. As others have stated, it goes with buying technology. I bought a 30D in 06', 6 months later, you could buy them used for $800. now they are $400. lol. just they way it goes.

20. Peikko macrumors newbie

Um... thank you! I have to admit your post took me a bit by surprise, I'm used to less pleasant responses to my posts.

21. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

after today it's cheaper than the previous cutting edge:p

22. atombu macrumors newbie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TURE

P.S. when you bring your macbook pro out and people will say "hey, NICE MAC" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Priceless

23. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the world of technology. If you don't like the game, don't play.

24. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

Clearly the '. . .' at the posterior of his sentence indicates a slight to your writing style.

Also, to a poster above: Why would you buy Apple computers just because they don't get upgraded as often as other brands? That is absurd. Apple's slower upgrading cycle doesn't make your computer any faster.